Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Football Scrapping 45-minute half '

Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:13 pm

' Football Scrapping 45-minute half '

BBC SPORT

Sunday 18th June 2017

A proposal to scrap 45-minute halves is to be looked at by football's lawmakers to deter time-wasting.

Instead, there could be two periods of 30 minutes with the clock stopped whenever the ball goes out of play.

Lawmaking body the International Football Association Board (Ifab) says matches only see about 60 minutes of "effective playing time" out of 90.

The idea is one of several put forward in a new strategy document designed to address football's "negativities".

Another proposal would see players not being allowed to follow up and score if a penalty is saved - if the spot-kick "is not successful", play would stop and a goal-kick awarded.

Other ideas include a stadium clock linked to a referee's watch and a new rule allowing players to effectively pass to themselves or dribble the ball when taking a free-kick.

Former Chelsea striker Gianfranco Zola is in favour of the proposal to cut matches to 60 minutes.

"I personally like this rule because there are so many teams who try to take advantage of it because they are winning and wasting time - so I think it is not a bad rule," he told the BBC.

"Football is fast enough. Some of the changes I don't like very much, but this is a good one."

Arsenal keeper Petr Cech echoed Zola's sentiments as he discussed the proposal on social media and wrote that at present there are "25 minutes of effective playing time per half so you would actually see more football".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Scrapping 45-minute half

Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:15 pm

Surely this will be a problem in hotter countries where players can take a breather while the ball is out of play?

Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:29 pm

£299 a season for a ticket, does that mean I get a third of reduction on a ticket for 1/3rd less of a match. That means I'm in the house earlier each game with her indoors, er no thanks....... let's keep it as it is. It's bloody football. Not frigging speed dating.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:51 pm

If play is only about 30 minutes then I don't mind, would stop a lot of time wasting.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:06 pm

Thought this was April 1st until I heard it on talksport.
What a nonsense

Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:08 pm

It wouldn't let Wally suit us, Warnock will have us playing for only 20 min 2 be halves if we are one nil up !!!

Re: ' Football Scrapping 45-minute half '

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:45 pm

most popular game in the world yet people want to fix it ?

the video ref has done my head in already..score..then wait 3 minutes before jumping up to celebrate.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:48 pm

They are messing with football too much. People time wasting and controversial decisions is what make footy footy!!!! always has been,

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 am

Don't like the idea - if players waste time they should be booked.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:09 am

Should stay as 45 min otherwise people will drift away!

When a player is injured they should stop the clock all this time wasting would go out the window. Be easier to do with the 4th official looking into other decisions.