Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

How is the Cardiff man a terrorist?

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:10 am

So what organisation was this van driver part of then to be classed a terrorist.

As far as i see it, it was one nutcase man taking matters in to his own hands by mowing down innocent muslims as a revenge attack. Ive said it before many times that when the system fails the people such things will happen. Its only a matter of time before the riots start and more shit will hit the fan on a bigger scale. Teresa may is doing her bit clearly and cleaning the country up with " Cobra Meetings".....You reap what you sow as they say in life.....

Re: How is the Cardiff man a terrorist?

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:45 am

How is a penguin a bird?

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:54 am

What dumb logic. Based on this, we could also argue that the Jihadi's are also committing revenge attacks based on the bombing the West, including the UK, are doing in the Middle East.

The man tried to murder multiple innocent people, based on their religion, causing terror. That is a terror attack. Many of the incidents that have happened in Europe and the West have been committed by lone wolves. These are also terror attacks. Dont try and justify such sickening actions.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:55 am

OK, turn it around. How were some of the "ISIS Sympathizers" terrorists if this idiot isn't ?

ISIS only really exists as an organisation in Syria, etc. It's not like Al Quaeda who did have organised cells all over the place and were funded through that organisation.

Recent attacks were by people who had been influenced by the vile rhetoric propagated via Internet, etc.

It's early days in the investigation. However, indications/investigations are concentrating on whether this guy was influenced by far right propaganda, advice on how to do damage to other races, etc. Same as ISIS just different targets.

Where I agree with the original poster is that if this attacker was not influenced by these mad, far right organisations and this act was borne out of his own personal anger or bigoted views then it becomes more of a hate crime that act of terrorism. No less vile or abhorrent but a slightly different description.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:07 am

grange_end1927 wrote:So what organisation was this van driver part of then to be classed a terrorist.

As far as i see it, it was one nutcase man taking matters in to his own hands by mowing down innocent muslims as a revenge attack. Ive said it before many times that when the system fails the people such things will happen. Its only a matter of time before the riots start and more shit will hit the fan on a bigger scale. Teresa may is doing her bit clearly and cleaning the country up with " Cobra Meetings" ffs.....You reap what you sow as they say in life.....

By the definition in law there is a prima facie (first sight) case that Darren Osbourne is possibly guilty of terrorism but that is subject to his conviction in a court of law.

Of course their could be mitigating circumstances such as his state of mind meaning he had no idea of the consequences of his actions.

I would guess his defence is not very strong at this stage and he is looking at a very long prison sentence.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:10 am

piledriver64 wrote:OK, turn it around. How were some of the "ISIS Sympathizers" terrorists if this idiot isn't ?

ISIS only really exists as an organisation in Syria, etc. It's not like Al Quaeda who did have organised cells all over the place and were funded through that organisation.

Recent attacks were by people who had been influenced by the vile rhetoric propagated via Internet, etc.

It's early days in the investigation. However, indications/investigations are concentrating on whether this guy was influenced by far right propaganda, advice on how to do damage to other races, etc. Same as ISIS just different targets.

Where I agree with the original poster is that if this attacker was not influenced by these mad, far right organisations and this act was borne out of his own personal anger or bigoted views then it becomes more of a hate crime that act of terrorism. No less vile or abhorrent but a slightly different description.

A fair enough opinion, but the one thing that gets my goat is when attacks are carried out against Muslims they are always described as 'hate crimes' but when Muslims attack other religions that description is always missing. That HAS to be put right.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:37 am

grange_end1927 wrote:So what organisation was this van driver part of then to be classed a terrorist.

As far as i see it, it was one nutcase man taking matters in to his own hands by mowing down innocent muslims as a revenge attack. Ive said it before many times that when the system fails the people such things will happen. Its only a matter of time before the riots start and more shit will hit the fan on a bigger scale. Teresa may is doing her bit clearly and cleaning the country up with " Cobra Meetings" ffs.....You reap what you sow as they say in life.....

I see where your coming from when the nutter stabbed people on the tube shouting god is great in Arabic a few years back he was classed as mentally ill in the press and the left wing idiots,how is this any different

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:40 am

He is a terrorist.

His objective was to cause terror. He targeted people, and terrorised them. That's my take.

But I do believe in various levels of terrorism - the IRA and ETA are fighting for independence, the UDA are fighting to maintain their Union, Hezbollah are trying to free Palestine (so they say), whilst ISIS are trying to kill everything that isn't of their ideology. ISIS are the ultimate "terrorists".

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:44 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:OK, turn it around. How were some of the "ISIS Sympathizers" terrorists if this idiot isn't ?

A fair enough opinion, but the one thing that gets my goat is when attacks are carried out against Muslims they are always described as 'hate crimes' but when Muslims attack other religions that description is always missing. That HAS to be put right.

I certainly agree with that. It's so important that we get a fair, consistent approach to these terrible incidents because all it does is build up resentment on both sides if similar incidents are treated differently.

On point of caution though. These incidents are always classified as "terrorist" incidents in the first place to ensure the appropriate level of response. As the case/investigation progresses they can be re-classified.

I'm not saying that's the case in recent incidents but it can happen.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:54 am

so if the isis terrorists went self employed then they wouldnt be terrorists as they would be working alone.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:00 am

JimCP91 wrote:What dumb logic. Based on this, we could also argue that the Jihadi's are also committing revenge attacks based on the bombing the West, including the UK, are doing in the Middle East.

The man tried to murder multiple innocent people, based on their religion, causing terror. That is a terror attack. Many of the incidents that have happened in Europe and the West have been committed by lone wolves. These are also terror attacks. Dont try and justify such sickening actions.

couldnt say it better myself, the only people who are saying this kinda thing are people who have the same thoughts/tendencies as the idiot who drove all the way to london to knock over a few muslims and get stuck in a cul da sac what a bellend and what idiots we have to even question how,fukin pathetic some ppl on here

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:01 am

castle view blu wrote:so if the isis terrorists went self employed then they wouldnt be terrorists as they would be working alone.

I'm no expert but my view would be that if they are influenced by by propaganda, ideology, e.g. ISIS or far right extremists encouraging/facilitating action against other, that falls into terrorist territory.

If it's a madman purely filled by his own bigotry/anger then that's hate isn't it ?

Probably all down to opinion. However, what most reasonable people would agree in is that none of this is acceptable in any way, shape or form.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:45 am

I see the OP has done his usual disappearing act again ;) :roll:

Terrorist Attack (definition): "a surprise attack involving the deliberate use of violence against civilians in the hope of attaining political or religious aims"

The guy was certainly motivated by one or both of the above; confirmed by his comments as he was being restrained by some people who probably wanted to harm him greatly (something I don't recall the IRA sympathisers being so restrained about when those two soldiers accidentally drove into their midst many years ago)

Those of you deliberately looking to 'choose' which words you want to use to describe ANY of the recent attacks are doing so in a certain ignorance rather than any perceived state of genuine knowledge on the subject you so clearly feel you are 'experts' on

Some of you have so much to say with so little substance with which to back it up! :roll: :oops:

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:50 am

Regardless of whether the guy was from Weston-Super-Mud originally and moved here from there, all reports are stating that he is from Cardiff, specifically Pentwyn.

This being the case, I shall certainly be extra vigilant in and around Cardiff in the next few weeks and I would urge everyone to do the same, as, whilst we as a nation, (Wales), have been relatively unaffected by any incidents to date, I'm nervous about any potential revenge attacks directed towards Wales in general, and Cardiff specifically, thanks to this nutter.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:04 pm

Jumanji Jim wrote:Regardless of whether the guy was from Weston-Super-Mud originally and moved here from there, all reports are stating that he is from Cardiff, specifically Pentwyn.

This being the case, I shall certainly be extra vigilant in and around Cardiff in the next few weeks and I would urge everyone to do the same, as, whilst we as a nation, (Wales), have been relatively unaffected by any incidents to date, I'm nervous about any potential revenge attacks directed towards Wales in general, and Cardiff specifically, thanks to this nutter.

we havnt been effected coz the police have foiled 3 attempted plots in the last 5 years we've been lucky but your right its only a matter of time :evil:

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:21 pm

Terrorist in every sense of the word

Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:20 pm

Reza wrote:
JimCP91 wrote:What dumb logic. Based on this, we could also argue that the Jihadi's are also committing revenge attacks based on the bombing the West, including the UK, are doing in the Middle East.

couldnt say it better myself, the only people who are saying this kinda thing are people who have the same thoughts/tendencies as the idiot who drove all the way to london to knock over a few muslims

What a crass and insulting thing to say to fellow City Fans.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:00 pm

wez1927 wrote:

I see where your coming from when the nutter stabbed people on the tube shouting god is great in Arabic a few years back he was classed as mentally ill in the press and the left wing idiots,how is this any different

Now you understand the frustration of minorities when one person who is associated with a religion commits a terrorist crime and is rightfully named a terrorist, however when a white American man guns down several black people in a church, he's classed as "mentally challenged "

Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:12 pm

He's a terrorist. He shouted he wanted to kill all Muslims, he droves hundreds of miles to do so. He may have been mentally ill too but in my mind everyone be it Muslim or far right who commits a crime like this is mentally ill.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:01 pm

I have to say that I opened this thread, expecting to totally disagree with everything said, but I have to say there are compelling arguments both ways and as a result, although I have an opinion I won't post it because I have respect for those on both sides of the debate. Not bad for a so-called football forum, supposedly full of mindless hooligan "fans"!!

Just impressed with the way most have put their views forward without resorting to personal comments.

Just saying!!!!!

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Don't think you need to be extra vigilant in Cardiff, I maintain I can't see anything happening here but who knows. The world has gone mad. Why didn't that idiot just try something here? He drive all the way to London....strange.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:32 pm

goats wrote:Don't think you need to be extra vigilant in Cardiff, I maintain I can't see anything happening here but who knows. The world has gone mad. Why didn't that idiot just try something here? He drive all the way to London....strange.

Quote (goats): "I maintain I can't see anything happening here!"

Go read topic: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=185502

You still reckon? :roll: :oops:

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:34 pm

As far as i see it, it was one nutcase man taking matters in to his own hands by mowing down innocent muslims as a revenge attack. Ive said it before many times that when the system fails the people such things will happen. Its only a matter of time before the riots start and more shit will hit the fan on a bigger scale. Teresa may is doing her bit clearly and cleaning the country up with " Cobra Meetings".....You reap what you sow as they say in life.....

Why are you copying my own post off facebook and sticking it on here :laughing5: :laughing5:

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:37 pm

I've always associated a terrorist being part of a terrorist gang.

This guy is a one man show so not sure if I would consider him a terrorist. Whatever I would certainly put him on the same level as a terrorist. Does it matter what we call him as long as he is removed from our streets.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:40 pm

Christians and Muslims have been killing each other for centuries. Isis see themselves as soldiers in a war, maybe this guy thought the same.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:06 pm

By definition this was an act of terror. The difference between him and the Islamic extremists is they are fronting an organisation whereas he is acting alone. He probably doesn't consider himself a terrorist but it was still his act. The danger with Isis is they are
Well funded and have a lot of fanatical followers. In many ways however I'd imagine they are easier to police against as opposed to Some piece of scum that acts on a whim.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:51 am

MarshfieldIsBlue wrote:He is a terrorist.

His objective was to cause terror. He targeted people, and terrorised them. That's my take.

But I do believe in various levels of terrorism - the IRA and ETA are fighting for independence, the UDA are fighting to maintain their Union, Hezbollah are trying to free Palestine (so they say), whilst ISIS are trying to kill everything that isn't of their ideology. ISIS are the ultimate "terrorists".

well put ...isis are the most extreme terrorists we havnt got anything like a negotiating posiition with those twats BTW iran have launched a medium range ballistic missile against their base in syria in retalliation to isis suicide bombing their parliment & ayatollah memorial..fair enough i say but they are targets of isis cos the yare the "wrong type" of muslims -iran & syria are "shia" muslims who isis regard as even worse than us infadels & christians in the west.