Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Starting 11

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:23 am

There's been loads of threads about this but now we've made some signings lets see peoples thoughts.

Who would you starting 11 be with the squad as it stands. We'll probably add another 2 or 3 so I'd guess a couple from the below will drop out.

Camp
Patterson Bamba Morrison Bennett
Gunnarson Ralls
Harris Ward
Hoilett
Zohore

Hopefully we keep Huws and if we do I'd drop Harris and stick Hoilett out wide.
O'keefe would also replace Ralls for me.

Re: Starting 11

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:30 am

Quote (CaerphillyBluebird15): "We'll probably add another 2 or 3 so I'd guess a couple from the below will drop out."

As you recognise yourself, guesstimate team selections are pointless at this stage of proceedings :thumbright:

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:32 am

Sven wrote:Quote (CaerphillyBluebird15): "We'll probably add another 2 or 3 so I'd guess a couple from the below will drop out."

As you recognise yourself, guesstimate team selections are pointless at this stage of proceedings :thumbright:

Sven, Very true but I've got nothing better to do at work and it gets me excited... :bluescarf:

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:57 am

Sven wrote:Quote (CaerphillyBluebird15): "We'll probably add another 2 or 3 so I'd guess a couple from the below will drop out."

Which is just as well,because although nothing wrong with those selections that is not a team likely to strike fear into the hearts of the other Championship sides. Need a fair bit extra, and I suppose this selection explains why we are around 15th favourites for promotion with the bookies.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:26 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:

Sven, Very true but I've got nothing better to do at work and it gets me excited... :bluescarf:

I truly hope for your sake that you have other things in your life to get you excited

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:55 am

angelis1949 wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:

I truly hope for your sake that you have other things in your life to get you excited

not during work hour unfortunatley :oops:

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:56 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:

Which is just as well,because although nothing wrong with those selections that is not a team likely to strike fear into the hearts of the other Championship sides. Need a fair bit extra, and I suppose this selection explains why we are around 15th favourites for promotion with the bookies.

I'm quite happy with the squad at the moment so any additions for me would be a plus.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:08 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:There's been loads of threads about this but now we've made some signings lets see peoples thoughts.

Who would you starting 11 be with the squad as it stands. We'll probably add another 2 or 3 so I'd guess a couple from the below will drop out.

Camp
Patterson Bamba Morrison Bennett
Gunnarson Ralls
Harris Ward
Hoilett
Zohore

Hopefully we keep Huws and if we do I'd drop Harris and stick Hoilett out wide.
O'keefe would also replace Ralls for me.

As things stand and assuming Ward does sign then that's how I see it shaping up.

I don't see any place for Huws or OKeefe and we need to move them on to bring in another two who Warnock likes for those central positions.

I think another 3 signings of 2 x CMs and 1 x Striker and we are done.
Oh and either Manga or another defender

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:13 pm

As the summer progresses it would not surprise me if we signed another 4 players - and then we have the potential loan market on top.

I am feeling really positive about this season - and feel we need to be aiming for a top 2 (and not the play offs).

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:

It is so easy to predict failure the hard bit is succeeding against the odds. I would rather be positive and fail trying rather than doom mongering just so I can have my 'I told you so' moment. :clap:

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:As the summer progresses it would not surprise me if we signed another 4 players - and then we have the potential loan market on top.

I am feeling really positive about this season - and feel we need to be aiming for a top 2 (and not the play offs).

Now that's the attitude :thumbup: :notworthy: :ayatollah:

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:43 pm

For me it's all about having decent competition for places.
We've got that at GK with Etheridge and Camp.
We've also got it at full back with Richards, Bennett, Peltier and Patterson.
Centre backs look okay, and if Manga stays I think it looks great.
Midfield looks the most iffy. In my opinion if we're looking for top 6 you'd only really have Gunnarson at a starter. We have other decent squad players but we need at least another one quality midfielder.
We desperately need competition for Zohore up front. So again at least another one striker to come in.
Out wide we have Ward, Hoilett ,Harris and Mendez-Laing - which I think is a solid selection.

I reckon we need another 3 player if none of our first choice team leave:
a permanent CM of the defensive variety. Joe Ledley??? :roll:
an versatile midfielder who could support a striker or play as a playmaker - giving us options for formations
another striker to challenge Zohore or allow us to play 2 up front. I see Ward as a winger - as do most Rotherham supporters.

We also then need to address the issue of the players who didn't play last year and probably won't this. We could do with offloading: Lambert, Noone, Pilkington, John, Saadi, Kennedy...

Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:07 pm

The way I see it...

- We have three very good goalkeepers in Camp, Etheridge and Murphy.

- We have 4 Right Backs in Peltier, Paterson, Richards
- We have 2 Left Backs in Bennett and John.
- Peltier/Richards can play at Left Back also. Paterson can play as a Centre Back, and also as a Striker. I think we are very strong in the fullback positions but my only grip when/if Declan John goes, is that we would have only one left footed fullback. Peltier and Richards are good left backs, but they are both right footed.

- We have some decent Centre Backs in Manga, Bamba and Morrison. If need be of course Peltier or Paterson can play in that position. Nailing Manga's contract has to be a priority. We also have Connolly who may be moved on if Manga signs a contract extension.

- Defensive Midfielders we have Aron Gunnarsson, O'Keeffe, Emyr Huws, and Greg Halford.
- Creative Midfielders we have Ralls, Emyr Huws has also played there with Ipswich Town and Wigan Athletic. This area we strongly need to strengthen in.

- Wingers we have Hoillet, Mendez-Laing, Harris, and Noone is likely to be departing. It seems likely that we will sign Ward from Rotherham United. Ward can play either wing or as a striker. We also have Kennedy who is a decent back up player, but he will no doubt depart permantely or on loan again.

- Strikers we have Kenneth Zohore, Saadi (who did well on loan but many believe will be sold), Gounongbe (who hasn't played and will likely be sold), Lambert who will likely be sold due to his hefty wage and lack of games, and Rhys Healey is injured for a long term. Of course we have Ward coming in from Rotherham.

As for Pilkington, I believe he will be moved on, which is a bit gutting as I like him, and he can play in quite a few roles. I'd like Saadi to be given a chance too. Saadi netted 14 in 29 last season in Belgium.

Outs- Pilkington, Gounongbe, Lambert, Noone, O'Keeffe, Halford, Kennedy (on-loan).

Ins- a creative midfielder, a striker (along with Ward).

My Squads (as it stands).

5-2-3

Camp,
Richards, Bamba, Morrison, Manga, Bennett,
Gunnarsson, Huws/Ralls,
Hoilett, Zohore, Mendez-Laing/Harris.

4-4-2.

Camp,
Richards, Manga, Morrison, Bennett,
Hoilett, Gunnarsson, Huws/Ralls, Harris/Mendez-Laing,
Zohore, Ward.

Confident about the new season, and I reckon we will probably add at least 3 new additions, which will alter all of our squads.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:23 pm

5-2-3 system of:

Gk Camp (for now because I've never seen Etheridge play)

Bennett
Bamba
Manga
Peltier
Richards

Ralls
Gunnarsson

Harris
Hoilett
Zohore

If wanting to go more attacking, I would switch to 4-4-2 by taking off a defender and putting Ward up front with Zohore.

Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:02 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:

It is so easy to predict failure the hard bit is succeeding against the odds. I would rather be positive and fail trying rather than doom mongering just so I can have my 'I told you so' moment. :clap:

Nothing to do with I told you so. I do not live in a world of fantasy, and all I have done last season is state the obvious, and predict what nearly every other person apart from a few fantasists on here had predicted. I have already said that with Warnock in charge, we may with a few additions challenge for the play offs. As things stand, all I am doing is stating how the bookies rate our chances, and that ties in with the views of most people I speak to, although obviously not with those on here who said we would gain automatic promotion last season. Personally, I think our debts take priority over everything, and until we strengthen the squad, which I believe we will, our chances are on a par with last season, or even worse if you go by the betting odds.