Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Could Aron Gunnarsson be leaving Cardiff City? "

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:03 pm

Israeli media link Cardiff City ace Aron Gunnarsson with a move to Maccabi Tel Aviv

City' did have Gunnarsson for sale before Neil Warnock took over as manager.

Gunnarsson City's player of the season last season.

Wednesday 21st June 2017

Gunnarsson has one year left on his Cardiff contract, and reports claim Maccabi Tel Aviv want to take the midfielder to Israel

Cardiff City star Aron Gunnarsson has been linked with a move to Israeli giants Maccabi Tel Aviv.

The Icelandic midfielder enjoyed a stunning 2016-17 campaign as he was named Cardiff City's Player of the Season, as well as picking up the Players' Player of the Season and Fans' Man of the Match awards.

He is now Cardiff's longest serving player following the departure of Peter Whittingham to Blackburn last week although his current contract with the Bluebirds expires at the end of the 2017-18 campaign.

And Israel Hayom claim that 21-time Israeli Premier League champions Maccabi Tel Aviv are interested in securing the services of the Cardiff ace this summer.

They report that the Israeli outfit - who qualified for next season's Europa League after finishing second in their domestic league last season - would have to fork out around €3m to sign the Iceland international from Cardiff.

Aron Gunnarsson's superb second half strike earned Cardiff City victory over Nottingham Forest
Gunnarsson has been in south Wales since joining the Bluebirds from Coventry in 2011.

The 70-cap Iceland international has scored 23 goals in 238 appearances during his time in the Welsh capital.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " Could Aron Gunnarsson be leaving Cardiff City? "

Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:41 pm

Not a chance Warnock wouldn't let Gunnar go and especially for that cheap aswell, 3million Euros is around £2.6million, I think, and that would be an absolute steal for someone like Gunnar.

Neil knows that he is vital to his team if we are going to win games, the Work Gunnarsson does for the team is immense and he will be required if we are serious about going for promotion this upcoming season.

I highly doubt Aron would want to leave for Israel either, personally I think this looks like nothing more than paper talk and I dont think our Icelandic Warrior is going anywhere.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:52 am

"Every player has their price", but for the most part this screams tabloid trash. I'm sure there are a few deals that Warnock and the club might make that won't sit well with some. Remember, Warnock said as much before the close of the season. We released Whitts but at a great reduction for the wage bill. The offer for Morrison rejected for now...

In an ideal world we'd be able to shift Lambert off the bill first, but I can't see it happening unfortunately. Warnock has been incredibly frugal, signed good acquisitions to the squad without jeopardizing the club and FFP. Really is the man for our club. I'm sure he has been backed with a decent kitty and sure he will fill the striking/creative midfield voids before preseason.

What about Pilks, Noone and Connolly- where does everyone stand? Keep or sell?

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:38 am

One of key comments in original post that he was for sale BEFORE Warnock became manager I believe he is a first on the team sheet for Neil so just paper talk I think ;)

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:46 am

Honestly I'd take the offer with only one year left on his contract it's time to cash in rather than lose another player on a freebee.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:40 am

Needs a contract this someone cannot allow him to run down contract

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:42 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Honestly I'd take the offer with only one year left on his contract it's time to cash in rather than lose another player on a freebee.

Absolutely right. We have criticised the club time and time again for letting valuable assets wind down their contracts, Ledley, Bothroyd, Manga, etc. so if Gunnarsson won't sign an extension, fan favourite or not, he would have to go if we had a weighty offer of £2.5m+.

Having said that, would he really fancy moving to Israel :shock: :? The club should make him an offer and if he doesn't sign then they know what they need to do.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:43 am

Get talking on a new contract make him Captain. All this stuff the other day about there no legends left at the club after Whittingham left, well we already have one in Gunnarsson, not the same type of player as Whittingham but just as if not more important as the amount of work he does is awesome. IMO vital to any promotion push this time around.

ps. Gunners we know you read this board so make up a name, join in and tell us you're not leaving :D

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:45 am

Offer him a new contract if he doesn't take it, sell him

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:33 am

Come on ... does anyone really think he's going to move to Israel?!
With regards to his contract, yes if he doesn't sign one then out him before the season starts.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:43 am

Oh for a world without agents !! either cheap paper talk or his agent has started the unsettling procedure .

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:47 am

No chance big part of Neil's plans

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:58 am

Offer him a new deal to fend off interest. We need players like Gunnarsson in our team to have any chance of finishing as high as possible next season.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:39 pm

No chance. Hands off. Similar to what Warnock said about Mozza. Would give the wrong idea.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:55 pm

Would be surprised after his 'comeback' performances last season but no player is expendable and Neil Warnock may have alternate plans in place, if there was a decent fee involved

Don't underestimate the pulling power of a club like Maccabi Tel Aviv (a beautiful coastal city) as they are massive in their environment and have ambitions in Europe, having reached the Champions League Group Stages recently ;)

Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:52 pm

Sven wrote:Would be surprised after his 'comeback' performances last season but no player is expendable and Neil Warnock may have alternate plans in place, if there was a decent fee involved

Don't underestimate the pulling power of a club like Maccabi Tel Aviv (a beautiful coastal city) as they are massive in their environment and have ambitions in Europe, having reached the Champions League Group Stages recently ;)

And they play in the Europa League this season :D

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:51 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Sven wrote:Would be surprised after his 'comeback' performances last season but no player is expendable and Neil Warnock may have alternate plans in place, if there was a decent fee involved

And they play in the Europa League this season :D

Tony, sadly (for us) it would be a step up! :ayatollah:

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:41 pm

12 months left on his contract :o

Either he signs an extension or he has to go.

Never really understood the cult like status, but i acknowledge i am in the minority.

Surprised we have started to negotiate with 5 years older Sol before Gunnar......

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:23 pm

llan bluebird wrote:12 months left on his contract :o

Either he signs an extension or he has to go.

Never really understood the cult like status, but i acknowledge i am in the minority.

Surprised we have started to negotiate with 5 years older Sol before Gunnar......

his popularity is down to the length of time he has been here and the fact he always puts a shift in.
might be wrong but i dont see either him or Morrison being offered extentions due to their current contracts probably putting them in the top earners group here.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:20 pm

Great servant and a top character, if he was ever to leave I think he could easily be replaced.