Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" TWO CLUBS IN FOR ARON GUNNARSSON?? "

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:07 pm

Cardiff City star Aron Gunnarsson linked with two European clubs – reports
By Jordan Jones

Friday 23rd June 2017

Cardiff City’s star-player of last season Aron Gunnarson, has been linked with a possible move to two European clubs this week.

The Iceland captain has become a wanted man after a number of key performances for the Bluebirds last season.

Israeli news outlet Israel Hayom has linked the 28 year-old with a move to Maccabi Tel-Aviv, where Jordi Cryuff, who is the son of the Barcelona legend Johan, is manager.

The report has suggested that it would cost the club €3m to take him away from the Cardiff City Stadium. The former Coventry midfielder has only one year left remaining on his current contract.

As well as interest from Israel, there is also interest in him from Poland, where Legia Warsaw are also keen to bring Gunnarsson to their club

Talks with the Polish side though seems to be at a further stage, with a tweet from a Polish news source saying that Jerry de Koning, is in Warsaw to discuss a possible transfer.

Gunnarsson who won the Player of the Year award last season, is admired by both manager and by supporters and any possible departure from the club could rock the Bluebirds plans of promotion back to the Premier League.

Over the years, he has accumulated 238 appearances for the Bluebirds, scoring 23 goals. If he were to leave the club then that would mean that Joe Ralls would become Cardiff’s longest-serving first team player, having made his debut for the club back in 2011.

The player himself is currently away on his honeymoon after getting married and may given an extended break after being a part of Iceland’s World Cup qualifying win over Croatia earlier this month.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: TWO CLUBS IN FOR GUNNARSSON??

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:23 pm

I really don't understand why Gunner would want to go to either of these clubs TBH.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:29 pm

Israel isn't in Europe

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:47 pm

nubbsy wrote:Israel isn't in Europe

Jack, for some reason their teams are allowed in to European competitions! :shock:

More chance of them winning Eurovision though! LOL :thumbright: :laughing6:

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:14 am

Need to get him on a longer contract asap. He can also become a City legend with his never say die attitude.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:16 am

phildavies wrote:I really don't understand why Gunner would want to go to either of these clubs TBH.

Money.At his age and current status he would command a good salary.City have either got to extend his contract with improved terms or sell him.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:57 am

I'd hate to see him leave as, much like with Whitts, I feel he's been a very underrated part of our team since our relegation. Only this year have people seemingly seen what I've been seeing for a few years now. That said, if we can get £3m for him, I'd sell, but only because I feel his position is one that is easier to replace than say the role Whitts played for us. I'd sooner keep him though, but can't deny the guy opportunity if he wants to take it.

If he IS here next season though, he needs to be club captain. If he or Bamba aren't wearing that armband come August, I'll be gutted.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:54 am

Good post. He's Mr Cardiff City, we've got to keep him and make him Captain. If we play him in the role he plays for Iceland as a DM we have some player and motivator on our hands.

Re: " TWO CLUBS IN FOR ARON GUNNARSSON?? "

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:38 am

No surprise to me there is interest this summer due to his contract.
I certainly can't see him going to Israel though. I'd like to keep him but he can be replaced a lot easier than Whitts or a more creative player can be.
'Mr. Cardiff City' he most certainly is not!

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:05 am

Israeli teams play in Europe cos they'd get murdered to play in Muslim Asian countries.

Can't see gunnars wanting to go too Israel or Poland, nothing to worry about here.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:29 am

Where's the new Mrs.Gunnarsson from ? Hmmmmmm.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:46 am

Jules wrote:Where's the new Mrs.Gunnarsson from ? Hmmmmmm.

Iceland.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:09 am

murphy wrote:

Iceland.

Amazing what you can get in Iceland these days! ;) :thumbright:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:28 am

Sven wrote:
murphy wrote:

Iceland.

I follow her on Instagram. Always a bit of eye candy off her :D

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:39 am

Sven wrote:
murphy wrote:

Iceland.

Brilliant Sven best one for awhile :thumbup: :lol:

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:41 am

phildavies wrote:I really don't understand why Gunner would want to go to either of these clubs TBH.

Maybe he is under investigation by the HMRC as we don't know what he has been doing with his image rights ;)

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:53 am

Sven wrote:
murphy wrote:

Iceland.

:lol:
I'm not sure me or you could mate!

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:15 am

Sven wrote:
nubbsy wrote:Israel isn't in Europe

Jack, for some reason their teams are allowed in to European competitions! :shock:

More chance of them winning Eurovision though! LOL :thumbright: :laughing6:

a lot of countries { mostly in north Africa and middle east }dont even recognise Israel as a country.
think it came to a head in 90s with a number of Arab nations threatening to pull out of the Asian confederation if Israel remained...so Isael left and eventually UEFA took them in. ..im not sure of dates or facts..but thats the gist

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:12 pm

I wrote a few months back that I thought both Whitts and Gunnar may go because of their lack of adaptability and mobility.

The previous three managers tried to play a possession game and that exposed Gunnars (lack of) technique whilst Warnock wants a robust fast game that totally exposed Whitts (lack of) physicality.

The role Gunnar plays with Iceland is suited to International football, its slower and he is the disrupter, that's it. Break up play and get it to Siggy. I think Warnock wants speed throughout and Gunnar is slow and he is a lot slower now than when he joined as he is probably 5Kg's heavier in muscle.

I also think if we play with a DM (I don't think we will) he'll be well over 6'. Last season a couple of opposition goals came from set plays by the player being marked by Gunnar, its wasn't his fault, he just wasn't tall enough, but I think Warnock has a model of each position in mind and you have to fit it.

WIth one up front being the standard package nowadays the thing to do is go against the grain if you don't have tons of money, so an old fashioned British direct 442 with pace may catch a lot of teams out. If we only have 2 CM's and not 3 they need to cover the ground. Only Ralls has showed that characteristic.

In all honesty I hope he signs an extension and stays, but wouldn't be that bothered if he left and we reinvested that money.

I guess that either Whitts or Gunnar were your "Mr Cardiff City" for the vast majority, so it will be a summer of big calls from Warnock.......

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:13 pm

Gunnar going wouldn't surprise me if its a decent fee say 2-3m but cant see him wanting to go to them clubs.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:27 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Gunnar going wouldn't surprise me if its a decent fee say 2-3m but cant see him wanting to go to them clubs.

Champions league is sometimes a draw. They should get through into the first big group stage. What's he got here, maybe a chance of mid table or the play offs.

I doubt he'll be poorer either way in August, but I just don't see us giving the big deals out anymore and just can't see us letting him run out his contract.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:19 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Gunnar going wouldn't surprise me if its a decent fee say 2-3m but cant see him wanting to go to them clubs.

Champions league is sometimes a draw. They should get through into the first big group stage. What's he got here, maybe a chance of mid table or the play offs.

I doubt he'll be poorer either way in August, but I just don't see us giving the big deals out anymore and just can't see us letting him run out his contract.[/quote

id like to keep all the players that are in our first team
having said that, i agree its 2/3mill now or nothing next year because a contract extention is unlikely is Gunner worth his wages plus 2/3 mill for the one season..no

Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:43 am

llan bluebird wrote:I wrote a few months back that I thought both Whitts and Gunnar may go because of their lack of adaptability and mobility.

The previous three managers tried to play a possession game and that exposed Gunnars (lack of) technique whilst Warnock wants a robust fast game that totally exposed Whitts (lack of) physicality.

The role Gunnar plays with Iceland is suited to International football, its slower and he is the disrupter, that's it. Break up play and get it to Siggy. I think Warnock wants speed throughout and Gunnar is slow and he is a lot slower now than when he joined as he is probably 5Kg's heavier in muscle.

I also think if we play with a DM (I don't think we will) he'll be well over 6'. Last season a couple of opposition goals came from set plays by the player being marked by Gunnar, its wasn't his fault, he just wasn't tall enough, but I think Warnock has a model of each position in mind and you have to fit it.

WIth one up front being the standard package nowadays the thing to do is go against the grain if you don't have tons of money, so an old fashioned British direct 442 with pace may catch a lot of teams out. If we only have 2 CM's and not 3 they need to cover the ground. Only Ralls has showed that characteristic.

In all honesty I hope he signs an extension and stays, but wouldn't be that bothered if he left and we reinvested that money.

I guess that either Whitts or Gunnar were your "Mr Cardiff City" for the vast majority, so it will be a summer of big calls from Warnock.......

Some astute observations there and I enjoyed reading it.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:27 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:I wrote a few months back that I thought both Whitts and Gunnar may go because of their lack of adaptability and mobility.

Some astute observations there and I enjoyed reading it.

Indeed! :thumbup: :ayatollah: