Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Latest on Emyr Huws '

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:47 pm

Ipswich Town can’t wait forever on Cardiff City midfielder Emyr Huws, says Alex Mathie

Friday 25th June 2017

By Stuart Watson

Ipswich Town cannot afford to put all their eggs in one basket when it comes to Emyr Huws, says former Blues striker Alex Mathie.

Welsh international midfielder Huws proved a big hit at Portman Road during a loan spell from Championship rivals Cardiff City in the second half of last season, scoring three goals in 13 games.

The 23-year-old, who took a pay cut to force through his January deadline day switch, had very much been out of favour under Bluebirds boss Neil Warnock and made public his desire to transfer permanently to Suffolk this summer.

It’s understood that Town boss Mick McCarthy told owner Marcus Evans that signing Huws should be the club’s top priority this summer, but doing a deal is not looking as simple as first thought.

Experienced midfielder Peter Whittingham has left Cardiff this summer to join Blackburn after rejecting a reduced terms contract offer, meaning Huws – who still has two years left on his contract – could be needed, or at least not sold until a replacement is found.

And even if he is eventually allowed to move on, Wolves, who are reportedly interested, could blow Town out of the water financially.

“We need a central midfielder, no doubt,” said Mathie, who co-commentates on Town’s away games for BBC Suffolk. “We need someone who can create and score goals from midfield because that’s been missing for a while. We’ve not had that box-to-box energy since when? David Norris? Matty Holland?

“I think we all liked Emyr Huws, and it would be great to sign him, but that situation can’t drag on forever. Ipswich can’t wait and wait on him and risk missing out on other targets.”

With Town starting their 16th successive season in the second-tier with a home game against Birmingham on August 5, Mathie said: “I don’t think we’ll be in a relegation battle, but I can’t see much more than mid-table either. Until the chairman decides what he wants to do, whether he really wants to go for it, then that is, unfortunately, what we are probably going to be limited to.”

He added: “It’s important that the fans get behind Mick again. He’s not going, it’s a new season and a fresh start. Trust me, there’s nothing worse than when you’re getting booed. We need to move forwards with that now.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Latest on Emyr Huws '

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:49 pm

Don't think he has a future with us, but I can't see us getting much for him.

Played awful when he played for Wales earlier this month as well.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:53 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Don't think he has a future with us, but I can't see us getting much for him.

Ned,
Personally I don't think Huws did well for us and Warnock never showed interest in him.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:00 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Don't think he has a future with us, but I can't see us getting much for him.

Ned,
Personally I don't think Huws did well for us and Warnock never showed interest in him.

:thumbright:

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:28 pm

I don't know if it's an attitude problem or what, but I just don't rate his decision making, fitness and overall demeanor.

Move on.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:05 pm

He has only had two starts with us. He has done well the past three seasons. He is young. He is a Wales international. If we let him go, we are missing a trick. I'd rather give him a shot than have Halford/O'Keeffe.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:10 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Ned,

Judging him after 1.5 games for us Annis? Many made the same mistake with Zohore.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:25 pm

cant wait forever ?
its still only June , and the player is in the USA on hols.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:51 pm

MarshfieldIsBlue wrote:He has only had two starts with us. He has done well the past three seasons. He is young. He is a Wales international. If we let him go, we are missing a trick. I'd rather give him a shot than have Halford/O'Keeffe.

think he was signed by Trolls as a long term replacement for PW , and now we have Warnock who wants to play with a different style.which is fair enough....as much as id have liked this to work out id much prefer the club to be saving money by allowing him to move on..than have an expensive bench warmer that our manager doesnt really want.
as for those knocking him..bit unfair