Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" WHICH CARDIFF CITY PLAYERS? "

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:48 pm

Some major Bluebirds' squad numbers will change hands ahead of next season

Saturday 24th June 2017

By Dominic Booth

Five new faces will join for Cardiff City pre-season training at the start of July as Neil Warnock gears up his squad for the long season ahead.

Lee Camp, Neil Etheridge, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Callum Paterson and Danny Ward have all arrived. Peter Whittingham has departed and others, including Craig Noone, Declan John and Rickie Lambert could follow in the next few weeks.

That means there will be a shake-up of the Bluebirds' squad numbers — with a couple of big shirts up for grabs.

This is how the squad number situation looks right now and who could fill the vacancies.

Number 1

Allan McGregor eventually took the shirt midway through last season, but before that Cardiff lacked a No.1 goalkeeper in both senses.

Ben Amos, Ben Wilson and Brian Murphy all had stints in goal before McGregor made the No.1 jersey — previously belonging to David Marshall — his own, before returning to parent club Hull City.

Now, Cardiff have two frontline keepers who will both make a claim to wear the famous No.1.

Camp and Etheridge will compete to become Warnock's first choice in goal, and it is likely that the more experienced Camp may get the nod.

Both players wore the No.1 shirt for their respective clubs last season. So Warnock will have to make a big call before the season had already started.

Number 7

How do you replace a legend? Often you can't, and certainly in the case of Cardiff and Peter Whittingham, it might be virtually impossible.

But the Bluebirds will have to find a new No.7 after Whittingham vacated the famous shirt following his 10-year stay in South Wales.

Perhaps new forward Danny Ward will stake a claim to the shirt, or possibly right-back-cum-winger Callum Paterson will fancy it.

Either way, the No.7 shirt is one of the most famous in football. Whoever wears it will have a huge burden of responsibility. Unless Warnock signs someone like Charlie Adam, or Joe Ledley — which appears unlikely at present — the shirt will most likely go to one of the five new players.

Alternatively, the Bluebirds' new longest-serving player Aron Gunnarsson could graduate from No.17 to No.7.

Number 10

Lex Immers was initially handed the No.27 shirt when he signed on loan from Feyenoord, but impressed so much that he earned a permanent move from his homeland, as well as the No.10 shirt, previously worn by Adam Le Fondre and Fraizer Campbell.

We all know what happened next. It didn't work out in Immers' second season. His Bluebirds contract was cancelled by mutual consent and Cardiff were without a Number 10 on the pitch and in the kit room.

With the shirt again vacant, Kenneth Zohore might be in line for a promotion from No.26, with No.9 being worn by forgotten man Freddie Goungonbe. Otherwise, it could be Ward, Mendez-Laing or another new arrival who gets the prestigious shirt.

Others that might become vacant

Warnock has intimated that Craig Noone might depart the club this summer, leaving the No.11 vacant for a new owner. Rickie Lambert could also leave after an underwhelming first season in South Wales, meaning the No.19 could become available. Current No.12 Declan John is also likely to leave.

Other numbers without a current incumbent include 15 (last worn by Kieran Richardson), 20 (previously belonging to Joe Mason) and 21, which was Joe Ralls' old squad number. No.18 is also available.

Re: " WHICH CARDIFF CITY PLAYERS? "

Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:49 pm

having read what Etheridge said about his contract here and how excited he was etc ,i think he was signed to be our keeper with Camp being back up if plan A goes the same way as last season.
cant see Gounongbe keeping the number 9 shirt either.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:54 pm

dogfound wrote:having read what Etheridge said about his contract here and how excited he was etc ,i think he was signed to be our keeper with Camp being back up if plan A goes the same way as last season.

I'd agree with that.

Can see Zohore and Ward also getting decent numbers. I would guess Zohore will get nine and Ward will get ten.

Perhaps number seven going to a new signing yet to arrive.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:06 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
dogfound wrote:having read what Etheridge said about his contract here and how excited he was etc ,i think he was signed to be our keeper with Camp being back up if plan A goes the same way as last season.

I'd agree with that.

Can see Zohore and Ward also getting decent numbers. I would guess Zohore will get nine and Ward will get ten.

Perhaps number seven going to a new signing yet to arrive.

as things stand id be happy with that..but can still see 5 or 6 leaving and more reinforcements coming in.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:16 pm

I was gonna order a top with Bamba on the back lastnight because every season I always have a player who I think will be our best player or top scorer, most improved, one to watch etc etc and I think Bamba will be an absolute rock this season and a quality captain (if Warnock makes him one). Gonna wait until the squad numbers are released though incase he changes, does anyone know if he does intend on changing or has he worn the number 14 previously and will again this season?

Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:21 pm

Jimmy Floyd wrote:I was gonna order a top with Bamba on the back lastnight because every season I always have a player who I think will be our best player or top scorer, most improved, one to watch etc etc and I think Bamba will be an absolute rock this season and a quality captain (if Warnock makes him one). Gonna wait until the squad numbers are released though incase he changes, does anyone know if he does intend on changing or has he worn the number 14 previously and will again this season?

was number 3 at Leeds so hold fire.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:29 pm

dogfound wrote:
Jimmy Floyd wrote:I was gonna order a top with Bamba on the back lastnight because every season I always have a player who I think will be our best player or top scorer, most improved, one to watch etc etc and I think Bamba will be an absolute rock this season and a quality captain (if Warnock makes him one). Gonna wait until the squad numbers are released though incase he changes, does anyone know if he does intend on changing or has he worn the number 14 previously and will again this season?

Hmm Joe Bennett has number 3 at the moment, but yeah best wait just to be sure, cheers mate!

Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:32 pm

Jimmy Floyd wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Hmm Joe Bennett has number 3 at the moment, but yeah best wait just to be sure, cheers mate!

wasnt getting at Joe or suggesting number 3..just letting you know 14 doesnt seem a special or preferred number for him.
personally i think if Manga goes he could well be number 5..????
but yes best to wait :thumbup:

Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:33 pm

Squad numbers can change so easily, it's always going to be a gamble getting your shirt printed before the squad numbers are announced.

Sometimes they announce new signing's squad numbers when they sign, but that doesn't seem to be the case this year.

Saying that, I had Gounongbe on the back of my home shirt last season so what do I know? :lol:

Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:03 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Squad numbers can change so easily, it's always going to be a gamble getting your shirt printed before the squad numbers are announced.

Sometimes they announce new signing's squad numbers when they sign, but that doesn't seem to be the case this year.

Saying that, I had Gounongbe on the back of my home shirt last season so what do I know? :lol:

I done a few hours overtime last week so my pay was better than normal and started burning a hole in my pocket! I normally wait to see if we make any big late signings but felt eager to grab the kit early this year, I'll wait until things are final first though!

Talking about big late signings (or so I thought) I had Lambert on the back of mine this year! If that's any sort of consolation to you...

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:50 am

Jimmy Floyd wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Squad numbers can change so easily, it's always going to be a gamble getting your shirt printed before the squad numbers are announced.

I done a few hours overtime last week so my pay was better than normal and started burning a hole in my pocket! I normally wait to see if we make any big late signings but felt eager to grab the kit early this year, I'll wait until things are final first though!

Talking about big late signings (or so I thought) I had Lambert on the back of mine this year! If that's any sort of consolation to you...

Bet yours been used more than his :laughing6:

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:53 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:Some major Bluebirds' squad numbers will change hands ahead of next season

Saturday 24th June 2017

By Dominic Booth

Five new faces will join for Cardiff City pre-season training at the start of July as Neil Warnock gears up his squad for the long season ahead.

Lee Camp, Neil Etheridge, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Callum Paterson and Danny Ward have all arrived. Peter Whittingham has departed and others, including Craig Noone, Declan John and Rickie Lambert could follow in the next few weeks.

That means there will be a shake-up of the Bluebirds' squad numbers — with a couple of big shirts up for grabs.

This is how the squad number situation looks right now and who could fill the vacancies.

Number 1

Allan McGregor eventually took the shirt midway through last season, but before that Cardiff lacked a No.1 goalkeeper in both senses.

Ben Amos, Ben Wilson and Brian Murphy all had stints in goal before McGregor made the No.1 jersey — previously belonging to David Marshall — his own, before returning to parent club Hull City.

Now, Cardiff have two frontline keepers who will both make a claim to wear the famous No.1.

Camp and Etheridge will compete to become Warnock's first choice in goal, and it is likely that the more experienced Camp may get the nod.

Both players wore the No.1 shirt for their respective clubs last season. So Warnock will have to make a big call before the season had already started.

Number 7

How do you replace a legend? Often you can't, and certainly in the case of Cardiff and Peter Whittingham, it might be virtually impossible.

But the Bluebirds will have to find a new No.7 after Whittingham vacated the famous shirt following his 10-year stay in South Wales.

Perhaps new forward Danny Ward will stake a claim to the shirt, or possibly right-back-cum-winger Callum Paterson will fancy it.

Either way, the No.7 shirt is one of the most famous in football. Whoever wears it will have a huge burden of responsibility. Unless Warnock signs someone like Charlie Adam, or Joe Ledley — which appears unlikely at present — the shirt will most likely go to one of the five new players.

Alternatively, the Bluebirds' new longest-serving player Aron Gunnarsson could graduate from No.17 to No.7.

Number 10

Lex Immers was initially handed the No.27 shirt when he signed on loan from Feyenoord, but impressed so much that he earned a permanent move from his homeland, as well as the No.10 shirt, previously worn by Adam Le Fondre and Fraizer Campbell.

We all know what happened next. It didn't work out in Immers' second season. His Bluebirds contract was cancelled by mutual consent and Cardiff were without a Number 10 on the pitch and in the kit room.

With the shirt again vacant, Kenneth Zohore might be in line for a promotion from No.26, with No.9 being worn by forgotten man Freddie Goungonbe. Otherwise, it could be Ward, Mendez-Laing or another new arrival who gets the prestigious shirt.

Warnock has intimated that Craig Noone might depart the club this summer, leaving the No.11 vacant for a new owner. Rickie Lambert could also leave after an underwhelming first season in South Wales, meaning the No.19 could become available. Current No.12 Declan John is also likely to leave.

Other numbers without a current incumbent include 15 (last worn by Kieran Richardson), 20 (previously belonging to Joe Mason) and 21, which was Joe Ralls' old squad number. No.18 is also available.

With all due respect to yourself I personally find this issue of squad numbers totally irrelevant, I couldn't care less what number is on the back of any City player as long he gives a good performance on the pitch

Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:46 am

angelis1949 wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Some major Bluebirds' squad numbers will change hands ahead of next season

Saturday 24th June 2017

By Dominic Booth

Number 1

Number 7

Number 10

With all due respect to yourself I personally find this issue of squad numbers totally irrelevant, I couldn't care less what number is on the back of any City player as long he gives a good performance on the pitch

It's of interest to many (as you can see) and it certainly helps people (many children) to have the right names and numbers of their favourite players on their expensive (and non-replaceable by the club when things change) shirt! ;)

Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:43 pm

angelis1949 wrote:

Saturday 24th June 2017

By Dominic Booth

Number 1

Number 7

Number 10

Thanks for your opinion, it's unlike you to put a negative comment on a topic.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Jimmy Floyd wrote:

being superstitious and noticing the luck you choosing last years names brought to those players ...is there any chance you can have abrahams and sigurosson on your shirts this coming season..?

Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:48 pm

dogfound wrote:
Jimmy Floyd wrote:

being superstitious and noticing the luck you choosing last years names brought to those players ...is there any chance you can have abrahams and sigurosson on your shirts this coming season..?

Sods law mate, if I had Abraham in pure superstitious hope that he'd play bad for them he'd end up scoring 25!! I think I'm playing it a little bit safe having Bamba on the back, or so I hope anyway...

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:05 pm

7- Kadeem Harris
9- Danny Ward
10- Kenneth Zohore?

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:29 pm

MarshfieldIsBlue wrote:7- Kadeem Harris
9- Danny Ward
10- Kenneth Zohore?

I'd hate to see Kadeem take Whitts top, I rate Kadeem but he's no Whitts. He might take Noone's 11 when he leaves, who knows! Warnocks an old fashioned guy can see him going for the traditional Target man Zohore - 9 and the man behind him Ward - 10. Does warnock even have a say over the numbers or does the player decide?

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:58 am

I think ward will get 9, irrelevant to Fred who'll be off, Zohore will be our 10, 7 needs to be a marquee signing in my eyes - something we haven't don't quite yet, Mendez-Laing maybe 18? Camp 1