Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Neil Warnock effect is a genuine thing '

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:59 am

Cardiff City's new striker Danny Ward proves the Neil Warnock effect is a genuine thing

By Ian Mitchelmore

Sunday 25th June 2017

Cardiff City's new striker Danny Ward has revealed how Neil Warnock was the deciding factor in his decision to swerve a move to Ipswich Town in favour of joining the Bluebirds.

Ward's move from Rotherham to the Welsh capital was confirmed on Friday afternoon, with the striker joining Lee Camp, Neil Etheridge, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Callum Paterson in making the switch to Cardiff this summer.

Speaking after securing the striker's services, Warnock revealed how he has long been an admirer of Ward who he previously worked with during his time as manager of the New York Stadium outfit.

And Cardiff's new recruit has said he chose not to join Ipswich as he was determined to link-up with Warnock once again.

“I’d worked with Neil Warnock before and loved my time at Rotherham with him," Ward told the Rotherham Star .

"He was brilliant, and so were Blacky (assistant boss Kevin Blackwell) and Jeppo (coach Ronnie Jepson). I knew a few of the Cardiff lads as well. Everything seemed to fit. That’s what swayed me to go for Cardiff rather than Ipswich.

"Obviously, Cardiff is a long, long way away, but when you know some of the people down there and you know the manager can get teams promoted because he’s done it in the past, it makes moving easier.

"It just seemed like a great opportunity. I had a couple of conversations with Ipswich. But Cardiff were in and the fact Neil was there was a big thing because we’d worked so well together before.

"He kept Rotherham up in 2016 and I know what he’s about.

"I’m good friends with Jon Stead and Paddy Kenny, who’ve worked with him before and done great things with him.

"They don’t have a bad word to say about him, and I’d experienced that myself. That’s why Cardiff was the one for me."

The Bluebirds signed Ward from Rotherham for an undisclosed fee, although it is thought he cost the club around £1.6m.

He scored 12 goals in all competitions for the Millers during the 2016-17 campaign.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Neil Warnock effect is a genuine thing '

Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:03 pm

He didnt say where Cardiff is a long long way from ?

Ipswich is surely longer if it's the North he's comparing ?

Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:27 pm

NIBluebird wrote:He didnt say where Cardiff is a long long way from ?

Ipswich is surely longer if it's the North he's comparing ?

Assuming he means from Rotherham, then there's only about 20 miles in it.

But he's always play for teams in the North West apart from a loan at Coventry so he may mean that, whether it was us or Ipswich.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:39 pm

I don't think he was making comparisons with Ipswich just that he's a northern lad never further south than Coventry and Bradford born.

Let's hope he's not a 'home is where the heart is' sort of lad and gets homesick.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:12 pm

About 65% of our away games are north of Birmingham (or a long long way) ,so he shouldn't get home sick.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:41 pm

Seems to me Warnock is building a team of people he trusts and they trust him so manager team go hand in hand .
It's a good ingredients I think and most of the players no what to expect this season.

We saw teams like villa last season spend big but not meet expectations.
Warnock worn the t-shirt hasn't he and I'm really looking forward to seeing what the team under him can achieve.

He's not done yet in the transfer market I don't think and if we are doing well come January if Tan backs him in January who knows.

Can't wait to get going see the team play what I already no is players will give there all Warnock will demand that and if someone slips he'll have others in competition to take over.

Can't wait for this season.