Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Rangers crash out of Europe to part time minnows "

Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:44 am

BBC

Rangers suffered one of their worst ever results as they were knocked out of the Europa League qualifiers by Luxembourg minnows Progres Niederkorn.

The Ibrox side took a 1-0 first-leg lead to Luxembourg but fell behind to a second-half Emmanuel Francoise finish.

Sebastian Thill sealed progress, scoring only the third European goal in the minnows' history to secure their first ever win in Europe.

Niko Kranjcar, Josh Windass and Kenny Miller hit the woodwork for Rangers.

But the Ibrox men had failed to dominate the game the way they had in the first leg, ensuring their first foray into Europe for six years was short-lived as they went out in the first qualifier.

Re: " Rangers crash out of Europe to part time minnows "

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:46 am

Kenny Miller hit the woodwork!
Sounds familiar.....

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:52 am

Underlines how poor the Scottish Premier League really is. This was the third best team in Scotland last year. :o

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:03 pm

bluebird58 wrote:Underlines how poor the Scottish Premier League really is. This was the third best team in Scotland last year. :o

And they lost to the 4th best team in Luxemburg :laughing5:

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:05 pm

bluebird58 wrote:Underlines how poor the Scottish Premier League really is. This was the third best team in Scotland last year. :o

No, it underlines how poor Rangers are especially given the resources they have. First venture into europe for them and I'm sure they'll take lots from it :)

Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:32 pm

PtB wrote:

No, it underlines how poor Rangers are especially given the resources they have. First venture into europe for them and I'm sure they'll take lots from it :)

has to reflect poorly on the league though and wont do Scotlands coeficient any good either.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:23 pm

dogfound wrote:
PtB wrote:

has to reflect poorly on the league though and wont do Scotlands coeficient any good either.

It shouldn't reflect poorly on the league though. Celtic & both versions of Rangers can blow any other Scottish club out the water in terms of spending. The rest shouldn't be judged against that playing field - in my opinion anyway!

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:40 am

St Johnstone were knocked out by a team from Lithuania. When you consider how easy Celtic found the league last it means its a gamble signing players from Scotland because the slightest bit of quality is really going to stand out.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:42 pm

I love this board sometimes the irony is amazing. Whenever we sign a player from Scotland everyone is like this lad is a great signing looks good. Then 5 minutes later it's the Scottish league is shit, pub quality.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:09 pm

bluebird04 wrote:I love this board sometimes the irony is amazing. Whenever we sign a player from Scotland everyone is like this lad is a great signing looks good. Then 5 minutes later it's the Scottish league is shit, pub quality.

You're not wrong! :thumbup: ;)

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:26 pm

bluebird04 wrote:I love this board sometimes the irony is amazing. Whenever we sign a player from Scotland everyone is like this lad is a great signing looks good. Then 5 minutes later it's the Scottish league is shit, pub quality.

in fairness i think almost all the scottish players we have signed have turned out ok..mcgregor.Marshall, super kev ,tony watt ,don cowie.craigconway. paul quin ,kenny miller.gavin rae.chris burke and rosco .kenedy ..jury still out..
only Lappin i can think of thats been a real dud..
and there is no getting away from the fact that the SPL is poor { this weeks reesults sort of confirm this. }
so maybe all those...you love..are actually very sensible level headed people.??

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:40 pm

St Johnstone average under 4500 fans at a home game while the Rangers average over 49000 and their chairman in the last two days has admitted they spend more than what they bring in. It is not comparable in any sense.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:18 pm

In terms of fans base and budget there not comparable but the 11 they're both able to field are both pretty poor. The Scottish league has really gone down hill since they demoted Ranges but it was on the slide before that. Outside of Celtic its very weak

Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:40 pm

Pencoed wrote:In terms of fans base and budget there not comparable but the 11 they're both able to field are both pretty poor. The Scottish league has really gone down hill since they demoted Ranges but it was on the slide before that. Outside of Celtic its very weak

The 11 is down to how poorly mismanaged the new Rangers are, on and off the pitch. They weren't demoted, they ceased to exist.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:03 pm

Pencoed wrote:In terms of fans base and budget there not comparable but the 11 they're both able to field are both pretty poor. The Scottish league has really gone down hill since they demoted Ranges but it was on the slide before that. Outside of Celtic its very weak

Scottish Football has hated itself to death.