Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Lewis Mcgugan

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:10 am

Handed a two-week trial at Cardiff City. The 28-year-old linked up with the Championship club on Wednesday and will train with Neil Warnock’s Bluebirds side for the foreseeable future.

Re: Lewis Mcgugan

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:47 am

heaps of ability this guy. allways liked him.
could be a brilliant signing if hes fit and wants it. type of playmaker that we have been missing

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:57 am

Just seen this on twitter from TransferLive, they are usually quite good.

Interesting one for me, his career has faded slightly but undoubtly a great squad player and maybe could turn out to be a key player if Warnock can get him back to his forest days

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:25 am

JakeBluebird wrote:Just seen this on twitter from TransferLive, they are usually quite good.

Interesting one for me, his career has faded slightly but undoubtly a great squad player and maybe could turn out to be a key player if Warnock can get him back to his forest days

'Faded slightly' is a big understatement I think. According to Wikipedia he didn't play a single game last season and only 12 in the season 2015-2016.
However, I remember him at Forest and he was a pretty skilful player.
Let's hope Warnock can get him back to his best.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:37 am

Remember him scoring an absolute belter when Forest beat us 2-0 at the CCS a good few years ago now, may have been dave Jones's last season.

Good player if he is fit and wants it enough

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:44 am

In the last year of his contract and Wednesday desperate to offload him...bit like us and Lambert.

If Warnock wants him after the 2 week trail..we hold all the cards here wouldn't be surprised if Wednesday will pay 50% of his wages to get rid

Might be a decent signing if he shows anything like the form of 3/4 years ago

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:20 am

A bit like Le Fondre was with us perhaps.Lost his way at Wednesday,would be a steal if Warnock likes him and he gets back to what he was.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:20 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
JakeBluebird wrote:Just seen this on twitter from TransferLive, they are usually quite good.

'Faded slightly' is a big understatement I think. According to Wikipedia he didn't play a single game last season and only 12 in the season 2015-2016.
However, I remember him at Forest and he was a pretty skilful player.
Let's hope Warnock can get him back to his best.

Reminds me of the career of a certain Craig Noone, I bet he'd raise a few eyebrows at other clubs too, but has been dreadful for the last few years bar the odd screamer!

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:54 am

salopiancity wrote:Handed a two-week trial at Cardiff City. The 28-year-old linked up with the Championship club on Wednesday and will train with Neil Warnock’s Bluebirds side for the foreseeable future.

Sorry if I had saw yours first I would of put as a sticky :thumbright:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=185914 :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:55 am

If warnock gets the best out of him he will be a great player for us

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:05 am

Forever Blue wrote:
salopiancity wrote:Handed a two-week trial at Cardiff City. The 28-year-old linked up with the Championship club on Wednesday and will train with Neil Warnock’s Bluebirds side for the foreseeable future.

Not a problem

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:46 pm

Loved a shot from distance would certainly be an interesting addition if Warnock offers him a contract

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:48 pm

salopiancity wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Not a problem

:thumbright: :thumbright:

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:07 pm

He's too much of a luxury player. I want a solid centre midfield who can battle away on a cold winter Tuesday night on a rubbish pitch. Our wingers and strikers can create the chances.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:He's too much of a luxury player. I want a solid centre midfield who can battle away on a cold winter Tuesday night on a rubbish pitch. Our wingers and strikers can create the chances.

So you don't need any creativity in the middle of the pitch?

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:47 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:He's too much of a luxury player. I want a solid centre midfield who can battle away on a cold winter Tuesday night on a rubbish pitch. Our wingers and strikers can create the chances.

not sure about Mcguigan. but having got rid of 3 players that can actually pass the ball we need a bit more than the grit your teeth merchants. dont think its a luxury to have at least 1

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:10 am

dogfound wrote:

not sure about Mcguigan. but having got rid of 3 players that can actually pass the ball we need a bit more than the grit your teeth merchants. dont think its a luxury to have at least 1

Of course we do. Whatever tactics we apply we need some class and creativity in the team.
Going on passing, creativity and keeping the ball - Gunnarsson is poor, Ralls is average and Hoilet and Harris did very little in that department.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:32 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Of course we do. Whatever tactics we apply we need some class and creativity in the team.
Going on passing, creativity and keeping the ball - Gunnarsson is poor, Ralls is average and Hoilet and Harris did very little in that department.

agree.
you can out tackle teams all you like but at some point need to create something.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:38 am

nubbsy wrote:

Not really. Ideally, you just need centre midfielders who can keep possession, cover ground and have the engine to make runs forward to get on the end of crosses and get beyond the attackers to break through. A Frank Lampard type is what we need.

We don't want a 'little magician' in the middle of a 4-4-2 who gets physically dominated all game.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:54 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

Not really. Ideally, you just need centre midfielders who can keep possession, cover ground and have the engine to make runs forward to get on the end of crosses and get beyond the attackers to break through. A Frank Lampard type is what we need.

We don't want a 'little magician' in the middle of a 4-4-2 who gets physically dominated all game.

And how often have we played 4-4-2 under Warnock ? We need options in the attacking third, Mcgugan is a playmaker he's someone who would play advanced of the 2 sort of centre midfielders you mentioned, he can also play in the wider positions aswell so his versatility would be useful. I'm not saying it would be nailed on but if Warnock could kick start his career and get him to perform to his best then he would be a real player in this league. His quality over set pieces is also something we are lacking.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:43 am

GotMeSingingTheBlues wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

And how often have we played 4-4-2 under Warnock ? We need options in the attacking third, Mcgugan is a playmaker he's someone who would play advanced of the 2 sort of centre midfielders you mentioned, he can also play in the wider positions aswell so his versatility would be useful. I'm not saying it would be nailed on but if Warnock could kick start his career and get him to perform to his best then he would be a real player in this league. His quality over set pieces is also something we are lacking.

We haven't played 4-4-2 because we've only had Zohore available as a decent striker. I expect that to change now Ward has come in. Even if Ward drops a bit deeper to put an extra man in midfield when required, we will still need 2 solid centre midfielders behind him. Ralls is decent enough with a good engine to cover ground and Gunnarsson is a rock solid enforcer. Swapping either of those for a luxury player like McGugan would be absolute madness. McGugan could play in a free role just behind Zohore, but that would mean sacrificing a striker.

Ideally, we want another solid midfielder who has the engine to break forwards beyond Zohore and be able to make runs into the box to get on the end of crosses. There will be games away from home against strong teams where we will need to switch to 4-5-1, play Gunnarsson just in front of the back four, then have Ralls and another solid midfielder alongside who is comfortable in possession, has a good engine, is physically strong and can be a danger breaking forwards. That's the type of midfielder I want us to bring in anyway.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:00 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

We haven't played 4-4-2 because we've only had Zohore available as a decent striker. I expect that to change now Ward has come in. Even if Ward drops a bit deeper to put an extra man in midfield when required, we will still need 2 solid centre midfielders behind him. Ralls is decent enough with a good engine to cover ground and Gunnarsson is a rock solid enforcer. Swapping either of those for a luxury player like McGugan would be absolute madness. McGugan could play in a free role just behind Zohore, but that would mean sacrificing a striker.

Ideally, we want another solid midfielder who has the engine to break forwards beyond Zohore and be able to make runs into the box to get on the end of crosses. There will be games away from home against strong teams where we will need to switch to 4-5-1, play Gunnarsson just in front of the back four, then have Ralls and another solid midfielder alongside who is comfortable in possession, has a good engine, is physically strong and can be a danger breaking forwards. That's the type of midfielder I want us to bring in anyway.

I understand what your saying but don't you think we need someone who can bring a bit of creative spark to the squad. In this this league you need a solid base to be competitive but you also need that extra bit of quality to make the difference.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:17 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

I understand what your saying but don't you think we need someone who can bring a bit of creative spark to the squad. In this this league you need a solid base to be competitive but you also need that extra bit of quality to make the difference.

I agree we need quality as well, of course we need quality. I just think the general opinion on this forum is we need an attacking creative genius with flair, dribbling ability, skills, someone who can create something out of nothing. Taarabt did that for QPR and Knockaert did that for Brighton last season. Both teams used those players instead of a winger, they played like inside forwards coming in off the flank. Newcastle had Shelvey in their midfield opening up defenses. We used to have Whittingham, but the past few seasons we have become overrun in midfield as Whittingham's aging legs couldn't cover the ground and teams cut through the middle of us.

Those players will cost over 10 million though, so our only hope is being able to find the next gem on the cheap who will take a few years to reach those levels. For this season, I just want us to be a solid unit who is tough to beat, doesn't concede many goals and we will always be in with the chance of winning games. Our formula under Malky worked, Jordan Mutch was the player breaking forwards getting us into more advanced positions, penetrating opposing defenses. I wouldn't personally take Mutch back because of his injury record, I don't think he's as mobile now. But a player similar to Mutch who is physically strong but can break forwards and chip in with goals and assists is the type of player I want us to sign.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:04 pm

I tend to agree with Tonteg. Mutch and Medel were head and shoulders our best midfielders during our brief stint in the Premier. No offence to Gunnar who I think is superb but Mutch was uniquely effective for us back then. His best days are probably over so his returning wouldn't be such a good idea but I definitely think we need a buccaneering penetrative midfielder to get the best out of the team.

That said I would love for McGugan to come good and I welcome an injection of quality. However, the last thing we need is a player who needs to be carried and who is anonymous in most games. I was hoping those days are over for us under Warnock.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:28 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

WE dont want..?.well i wouldnt mind seeing something that resmbles football instead of this boot it run tackle boot it mentality.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:30 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
nubbsy wrote:

I agree we need quality as well, of course we need quality. I just think the general opinion on this forum is we need an attacking creative genius with flair, dribbling ability, skills, someone who can create something out of nothing. Taarabt did that for QPR and Knockaert did that for Brighton last season. Both teams used those players instead of a winger, they played like inside forwards coming in off the flank. Newcastle had Shelvey in their midfield opening up defenses. We used to have Whittingham, but the past few seasons we have become overrun in midfield as Whittingham's aging legs couldn't cover the ground and teams cut through the middle of us.

Those players will cost over 10 million though, so our only hope is being able to find the next gem on the cheap who will take a few years to reach those levels. For this season, I just want us to be a solid unit who is tough to beat, doesn't concede many goals and we will always be in with the chance of winning games. Our formula under Malky worked, Jordan Mutch was the player breaking forwards getting us into more advanced positions, penetrating opposing defenses. I wouldn't personally take Mutch back because of his injury record, I don't think he's as mobile now. But a player similar to Mutch who is physically strong but can break forwards and chip in with goals and assists is the type of player I want us to sign.

so it was all whitts fault and not trollope or the manager thats name is synonimous with mediocracy {during his all time record of games managed without achieving anything at all }.
unreal

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:22 pm

Another Blast from the past ;) DJ tried ;)