Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Updated Sheff Wed Player joins Cardiff on two week trial

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:32 am

Bit of Cardiff city news this morning Lewis mcgugan has joined us for a 2 week trial

Re: Player joins Cardiff on two week trial

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:05 am

Where you find that out mate? Wouldn't be a bad squad player to be fair.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:45 am

Updated he's Sheff Wed midfielder and he is on trial with City :thumbright: :bluebird:

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:47 am

Wednesday midfielder Lewis McGugan has been handed a two-week trial at Cardiff City.

07/07/17

The 28-year-old linked up with the Championship club on Wednesday and will train with Neil Warnock’s Bluebirds side for the foreseeable future.

McGugan wants to quit the Owls and reignite his career after a frustrating year. His last outing for Wednesday came on the final day of the 2015/16 season.

For our Owls news and opinion on twitter follow here

The former Nottingham Forest and Watford player was left out of the squad who travelled to Portugal for the club’s pre-season training camp last summer and made available for transfer by head coach Carlos Carvalhal.

“Lewis is a very good player and can play in a lot of teams in the Championship but he has difficulties playing our game,” said Carvalhal at the time. “These kind of things happen in football.”

For more news from Hillsborough click here

McGugan, a £300,000 buy from the Hornets nearly two years ago, has 12 months left to run on his Owls contract.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Updated Sheff Wed Player joins Cardiff on two week trial

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:55 am

Brilliant news, this guy will be our number 7

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:03 am

If Warnock likes him and wants to sign him up, what sort of cost will it be do you think?

He's been left out of Wednesdays pre season but still has a year left of his contract. Unless it will be free, I don't know how it works.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:09 am

Now that would be a signing

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:18 am

Warnock has a way of handling Troublesome Talent.
Trabaat or whatever his name was at QPR hasnt reached the heights he hit since his time under Neil.
McGugan has an abundance of talent but hasnt been managed correctly. This could turn out to be a cracker of a signing..

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:42 am

never rated him, would fit into the number 10 type player Warnock wants. I wonder if he has taken him on trial incase he doesn't get his first choice target.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:01 am

We're in the market for a new free kick taker. If he can score a few free kicks like this then sign him up.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:05 am

Very positive trialist, he could be an absolute gem next season, he wants first team football, desperate to kick start his career again, can be a playmaker with bags of skill and scores world class goals.

I am pleased with this, get a decent preseason out of him and see how we go with it :bluescarf:

Welcome to Cardiff Lewis

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:46 am

Reminds me of bothroyd needs a boost to get his career back on track

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:47 am

Talented player, but no consistency at all. Maybe Warnock can get the best out of him. Was he injured last season?

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:00 am

for me always looked good on highlights but rarely impressed when I've watched him over 90mins.

always seemed to be the one who sent missing everytime Forest flopped.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:40 pm

Anyone think this is a sweetener for Morrison to go the other way? Warnock recently said he was happy in defence unless an offer came in we couldn't refuse.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:42 pm

Aye,him and 6m :lol:

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:Aye,him and 6m :lol:

I don't think that's too far from the truth mate

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:59 pm

wez1927 wrote:

I don't think that's too far from the truth mate

I'd bite there hands off for 4mill + This bloke. I rated him very highly a couple of years ago but he has gone missing at Sheff Wed. Hopefully this deal happens and Warnock give him a kick up the arse!

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:28 pm

if we sign him I'd expect it would be on a free.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:12 pm

Dessy1927 wrote:Anyone think this is a sweetener for Morrison to go the other way? Warnock recently said he was happy in defence unless an offer came in we couldn't refuse.

No.
:lol:

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:13 pm

norms76 wrote:We're in the market for a new free kick taker. If he can score a few free kicks like this then sign him up.

There are some crackers on the related videos too :shock: :notworthy:

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:06 pm

IN WARNOCK WE TRUST could be a gem for us next season :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:08 pm

Sheffield Wednesday outcast Lewis McGugan 'unlikely' to sign for Cardiff City despite two-week trial

Lewis McGugan has been given a two-week trial at Cardiff City after leaving Championship rivals Sheffield Wednesday earlier in the summer, but is some way off from clinching a permanent contract at the club.

Neil Warnock is understood to be in market for midfield recruits following Peter Whittingham's departure to Blackburn Rovers earlier in the summer, with Frenchman Loic Damour already arriving on a surprise free transfer on Thursday.

Nottingham Forest ace McGugan has been given a chance to impress Warnock over the next couple of weeks, having arrived in the Welsh capital on Wednesday.

But despite already being with the Bluebirds for most of the week, it is understood he is currently unlikely to be offered a permanent contract at the club.

McGugan, who is part of a clutch of mostly foreign trialists currently at Cardiff City Stadium, has been on Sheffield Wednesday's transfer list since last summer, with Owls boss Carlos Carvalhal stating at the time: “Lewis is a very good player and can play in a lot of teams in the Championship but he has difficulties playing our game."

The midfielder has since endured a torrid time at Hillsborough and has not made a single first team appearance for the club since the last day of the 2015/16 season, although he did turn out for Wednesday's development squad against Cardiff back in March.

Despite having 12 months remaining on his contract, McGugan has opted for a move, just two years after completing a £300,000 permanent move, which came on the back of two fruitful loan spells.

Warnock is nevertheless expected to look elsewhere in the market, having already said he remains interested in signing at least three more players before the transfer window closes.

As well as Damour, the club have also completed deals for Danny Ward, Neil Etheridge, Lee Camp, Callum Paterson and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:58 am

I was thinking 4/5 mil and Mcgugan

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:03 am

I was thinking 4/5 mil and Mcgugan

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:23 am

Says in WOL that McGugan is one of a "clutch" of mostly foreign trialists at the club...says to me that his transfer funds are going to be mostly used to pays wages? If he sells then he can reinvest?

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:59 am

Blue_Barber wrote:Says in WOL that McGugan is one of a "clutch" of mostly foreign trialists at the club...says to me that his transfer funds are going to be mostly used to pays wages? If he sells then he can reinvest?

It's always a good to have a test drive before you buy a car to see what it's like, if it's rubbish you can save your money walk away and buy a better one :thumbup:

In Warnock we trust :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:00 am

Blue_Barber wrote:Says in WOL that McGugan is one of a "clutch" of mostly foreign trialists at the club...says to me that his transfer funds are going to be mostly used to pays wages? If he sells then he can reinvest?

It's always a good to have a test drive before you buy a car to see what it's like, if it's rubbish you can save your money walk away and buy a better one :thumbup:

In Warnock we trust :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:32 am

We've been linked to McGugan in the past! ;)

A decent player and no harm in having a look. At least we'll know... :ayatollah: