Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' So who is he and why did we sign him ? '

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:53 pm

' So who is he and why did we sign him ? '

Cardiff City FC Midfielder Loïc Damour

Who is Loic Damour?

Loic Damour is a 26-year-old French midfielder who before signing a two-year deal with Cardiff, previously enjoyed spells in France and Belgium.

He spent two years at his most recent club, Bourg-en-Bresse Peronnas, where he made 77 appearances before deciding against signing a new deal, despite declaring last term "the best season of my career".

Damour started his senior career at Strasbourg, making his debut as a substitute in a Ligue 2 match against Montpellier in 2008.

However, he struggled to live up to his early promise, which he attributes to his wayward attitude as a youngster.

The Frenchman told the local press back in May: "I'm 26 years old. I was 17 then. I had a bit of a bug. I made mistakes. I left Strasbourg in 2011 as a pretentious young con. I was a little s***.

"I already saw myself in Manchester United. I did not behave like a pro."

Spells at Boulogne, Brussels, White Star Bruxelles and Frejus Saint Raphael followed, as well as run-outs for France at under-16s and under-20s, before he finally appeared to find his feet, becoming an integral part of Bourg-en-Bresse's efforts to preserve their Ligue 2 status.

Where can he play and is he any good?

Damour's primary position is at the heart of midfield, although he is also capable of playing behind the strikers and even on the wing.

There is certainly a sense that Championship football will be the most rigorous examination of his abilities, but there is definite potential there, which was recognised at an early age.

Damour is a graduate of the world-famous Clairefontaine academy, which has previously elevated the careers Nicolas Anelka and Thierry Henry.

While comparisons to such top players would be foolish, Damour's appearances at nearly every youth level for the French national team suggests Cardiff are not the only ones to believe he has ability.

Why was he available on a free?

Damour announced towards the end of last season that he intended to see out his deal at Bourg-en-Bresse Peronnas.

Explaining his decision, he told French media in May: "I am 26-years-old and I am at the end of the contract. Next season, I'm going to face another thing and put myself in danger."

Why have Cardiff signed him?

The departure of Peter Whittingham, while arguably justified, left a sizeable gap in the middle of the Bluebirds midfield. While he may not reach the same talismanic heights, a free transfer carries an attractive level of minimum risk.

Having said that, Warnock may well fancy another body in the centre of the park, although if previous transfer bids are anything to by , finding someone suitable for the right price could prove a challenge.

Any concerns?

There will always be some unease when it comes to signing an unknown player. Damour has shown flashes of ability during his career, but attitude has, by his own admission, been an issue.

Then again, players whose minds are elsewhere don't tend to last long under Warnock, who must be convinced that the midfielder is serious about making his time in England a success.

French midfielder Loic Damour has joined Cardiff City
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' So who is he and why did we sign him ? '

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:19 pm

After watching a ten minute YouTube video of him I thought he was like Paul Ramsey on speed with a bit of Cohen thrown in. Let's hope he fulfils his potential.

StT.
<><

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Then again, players whose minds are elsewhere don't tend to last long under Warnock, who must be convinced that the midfielder is serious about making his time in England a success.

FFS will they never learn :banghead:

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:18 pm

Potential dud -

Solomon taiwo

See if warnock can rub his missfit magic
Wipe over him ......

Good luck Loic

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:32 pm

it's funny when other clubs sign a no one and he becomes a Gem we moan we never get anyone like them.....but when we sign a no one people moan he isn't up to it etc.

let's just give him a chance.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:35 pm

2blue2handle wrote:it's funny when other clubs sign a no one and he becomes a Gem we moan we never get anyone like them.....but when we sign a no one people moan he isn't up to it etc.

Spot on :thumbright:

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:50 pm

We have

Rudy Gestede

Except we gave him away and
Others made money on him

Again.. ... Good luck Loic

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:55 pm

JimmyJazz wrote:Then again, players whose minds are elsewhere don't tend to last long under Warnock, who must be convinced that the midfielder is serious about making his time in England a success.

Warnock wouldnt of giving him a contract if he thought he was shit

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:42 pm

Gestede was crucified on this site why I worry about any youngsters playing or a no one from Europe I remember all the slagging off regarding a player called Zohore things said like get rid he is rubbish etc and many others so we have many on here who slag off any player but this kid with a chance could be a great player as supporters we have to be patient and who knows that player who was not up to it zohore is now demanding figures of 20 million to our manager and our supporters so be patient and let the real experts like Warnock and his team work on the players

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:51 am

wez1927 wrote:
JimmyJazz wrote:Then again, players whose minds are elsewhere don't tend to last long under Warnock, who must be convinced that the midfielder is serious about making his time in England a success.

Warnock wouldnt of giving him a contract if he thought he was shit

This is not your typical Warnock signing???

I am not really sure who has spotted him and recommended we sign him, but I would have thought Warnock would have refused him unless his work rate and attitude on the pitch are unbelievable, so maybe there is much more to him than we know right now?

As people have said, if he's good enough for Warnock, then I am happy to give him a chance, also as people have said above, look what he has done with Zohore !!!

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:53 am

valleyrambill wrote:Gestede was crucified on this site why I worry about any youngsters playing or a no one from Europe I remember all the slagging off regarding a player called Zohore things said like get rid he is rubbish etc and many others so we have many on here who slag off any player but this kid with a chance could be a great player as supporters we have to be patient and who knows that player who was not up to it zohore is now demanding figures of 20 million to our manager and our supporters so be patient and let the real experts like Warnock and his team work on the players

Great point :thumbup:

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:53 am

valleyrambill wrote:Gestede was crucified on this site why I worry about any youngsters playing or a no one from Europe I remember all the slagging off regarding a player called Zohore things said like get rid he is rubbish etc and many others so we have many on here who slag off any player but this kid with a chance could be a great player as supporters we have to be patient and who knows that player who was not up to it zohore is now demanding figures of 20 million to our manager and our supporters so be patient and let the real experts like Warnock and his team work on the players

Great point :thumbup:

Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:59 am

no on got stick more the Hudson who was called everything under the sun, most thought he was conference for a few years. TBH football fans in general think they know it all but they don't :lol:

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:05 am

Imho the reason Hudson was made to look so poor at first was because he not only had to play his own game but also cover the many deficiencies in Anthony Gerard's game.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:20 am

gwentbluebirds wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:it's funny when other clubs sign a no one and he becomes a Gem we moan we never get anyone like them.....but when we sign a no one people moan he isn't up to it etc.

Spot on :thumbright:

Luke/Lee, spot on! :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Far too many on here actively looking to 'knock' before a player has even kicked a ball in anger! :roll:

I'm quite excited by a Warnock-assembled team's chances of at least 'competing' in The Championship this coming season and he has my backing (which will probably help him sleep better...not! LOL :laughing6: ) :ayatollah:

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:20 pm

Welcome " Friday Night Football Guy " - An extra days sleep ;) 8-)