Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Suspended for protesting!? '

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Whichever way you play on this can't be how a democratic country is run?

Dinner lady suspended after Manchester attack demonstration

BBC

Friday 7th July 2017

The rally in Manchester city centre drew thousands of demonstrators

A primary school dinner lady who attended a march co-organised by former English Defence League (EDL) leader Tommy Robinson has been suspended.

Rachel Booth was at the rally on 11 June in Manchester, which organisers said was "against Islamic hate".

She said she attended in sympathy for the victims of the Manchester attack that killed 22 people on 22 May.

Moor Nook Primary School, in Preston, confirmed a member of staff has been suspended "pending further inquiries".

Rachel Booth has worked at Moor Nook Primary School, in Preston for four years
Thousands of people attended the march by a coalition that calls itself UK Against Hate, held three weeks after a suicide bombing at an Ariana Grande concert.

The rally also drew hundreds of people in a counter-demonstration against the march.

'For the children'

Mrs Booth, who has worked at the school for four years, said the suspension was "a big shock".

"I have never been in any kind of trouble with police.

"The grounds for suspending me are it was an EDL march, which is a load of rubbish. Even if I was part of the EDL, which I'm certainly not, it should not have affected my job."

She said she attended with her mixed race husband, who is a former serviceman, to show solidarity with the bombing victims, not to support far-right extremism.

"I thought it was for the children and so I went," she added.

The march was criticised at the time by Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham who tweeted: "These EDL-types who came today need to have a look at themselves."

In a letter to the school, Mohammed Fyaz, one of the march's organisers, wrote "the event in question was not organised by or linked to the EDL in any way".

He added: "In the democracy in which we live political, religious and moral issues should be allowed to be discussed, questioned and at times challenged freely, without fear of persecution or discrimination."

It is understood a suspension in such circumstances is a "neutral" act and will allow the school to investigate footage from the march featuring Mrs Booth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Suspended for protesting!?

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:43 pm

griff105 wrote:Whichever way you play on this can't be how a democratic country is run?

Ridiculous
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:58 pm

Suspension is routine while they look into incident! Standard practice in all gvmnt jobs? Stupid I know but that's gvmnt for you. :o

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:09 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Suspension is routine while they look into incident! Standard practice in all gvmnt jobs? Stupid I know but that's gvmnt for you. :o

I didn't know that but what is the incident?

Unless she was mitching off school?!!?

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:44 pm

griff105 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Suspension is routine while they look into incident! Standard practice in all gvmnt jobs? Stupid I know but that's gvmnt for you. :o

There was a far right or similar march she thought she was joining in a support march for Manchester bombing victims, got caught up in March And as way now pics all over social media school as to look into circumstances of her involvement? She's innocent of course but school just following protocol :thumbup:

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:15 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
griff105 wrote:

There was a far right or similar march she thought she was joining in a support march for Manchester bombing victims, got caught up in March And as way now pics all over social media school as to look into circumstances of her involvement? She's innocent of course but school just following protocol :thumbup:

I get what your saying (and understand that you are not giving vindication to the action)

Are there guidelines to what a gov employ can protest about or bandwidths of politics they must adhere too?

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:45 pm

griff105 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
griff105 wrote:

I get what your saying (and understand that you are not giving vindication to the action)

Are there guidelines to what a gov employ can protest about or bandwidths of politics they must adhere too?

Most companies have standards by which employees must adhere to or can face disciplinary action it sometimes about politics but in case of gvmnt departments it's anything that your behaviour is deemed to be bringing them into disrepute! And generally you face suspension while the matter is looked into, she unfortunately was in wrong place at wrong time? after 25yrs of such employment seen it many times :thumbup:

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:31 am

Allan,
Routine for what, what did she do wrong?

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:33 am

wez1927 wrote:
griff105 wrote:Whichever way you play on this can't be how a democratic country is run?

Ridiculous

Wez, worse than ridiculous, the UK is getting worse by the day for keeping do-gooders happy and there is No freedom of speech.

Re: ' Suspended for protesting!? '

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:45 am

Reply from Facebook

Simon Rawbone

Utter disgrace, the school should be ashamed. Freedom of speech..... no such thing in this Country

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:45 am

Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Ridiculous

Wez, worse than ridiculous, the UK is getting worse by the day for keeping do-gooders happy and there is No freedom of speech.

It's not illegal to protest. Unless they had proof that she has done something wrong, why should she be suspended. Looks like another case of guilty unless you can prove otherwise, and this country seems to be bowing to the politically correct brigade yet again.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:48 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Ridiculous

It's not illegal to protest. Unless they had proof that she has done something wrong, why should she be suspended. Looks like another case of guilty unless you can prove otherwise, and this country seems to be bowing to the politically correct brigade yet again.

Steve, I hope she sues and takes it all the way and shows how bad the UK has become about freedom of speech/protesting and peacefully as well.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:21 am

i doubt its routine mate, certainly the first time ive heard of it and how many various demos have there been.? thousands/tens of thousands.?
its all about the perception of being right wing or British or worse of the lot proud to be British.
come to think of it if they adopted this suspendion retrospectively. 1 demo = 1 weeks suspension,JC would be out of politics for life...

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:27 am

dogfound wrote:

i doubt its routine mate, certainly the first time ive heard of it and how many various demos have there been.? thousands/tens of thousands.?
its all about the perception of being right wing or British or worse of the lot proud to be British.
come to think of it if they adopted this suspendion retrospectively. 1 demo = 1 weeks suspension,JC would be out of politics for life...

SPOT ON :thumbright: :thumbright:

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:31 am

Suspension is not routine at all. This lady broke no laws, was not arrested, detained or seen to be doing anything illegal. There is zero ground for suspension in this case and the local education authority have opened up a potentially huge lawsuit against themselves.

This is not like the post office worker who was seen at the scenes of rioting at the world cup and was suspended. He was at the secene of crime this lady wasn't no laws were broken.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:35 am

WelshPatriot wrote:

Suspension is not routine at all. This lady broke no laws, was not arrested, detained or seen to be doing anything illegal. There is zero ground for suspension in this case and the local education authority have opened up a potentially huge lawsuit against themselves.

This is not like the post office worker who was seen at the scenes of rioting at the world cup and was suspended. He was at the secene of crime this lady wasn't no laws were broken.

SADLY SPOT ON & ITS GETTING WELL OUT OF ORDER THE WAY THE COUNCILS/GOVT ARE ACTING.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:56 am

Forever Blue wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

SADLY SPOT ON & ITS GETTING WELL OUT OF ORDER THE WAY THE COUNCILS/GOVT ARE ACTING.

Annis, suspension is a common course of action where an employer believes the actions (whether eventually proven or not) are contradictory to the interests/values of the company (or in this case Authority) or those with whom it represents and it is simply seen as 'safeguarding' until an investigation has been carried out

I agree that no Laws appear to have been broken and it appears this lady has been 'suspended' after being spotted at a rally involving EDL members; a group whose values would go very much against those of her employers who have a very diverse community and are very much in the public eye

Hopefully, her union will be on the case it will be swiftly sorted :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:12 pm

Sven wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

Annis, suspension is a common course of action where an employer believes the actions (whether eventually proven or not) are contradictory to the interests/values of the company (or in this case Authority) or those with whom it represents and it is simply seen as 'safeguarding' until an investigation has been carried out

I agree that no Laws appear to have been broken and it appears this lady has been 'suspended' after being spotted at a rally involving EDL members; a group whose values would go very much against those of her employers who have a very diverse community and are very much in the public eye

Hopefully, her union will be on the case it will be swiftly sorted :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Chris, I honestly know what it means, but I can't believe it should of even been considered, never mind implicated, the UK is finished.

Ex EDL leader, but so what, freedom of believe and speech, surely ?

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Sven wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

Suspension is used when it involves gross misconduct this is certainly not the case here.

The EDL were not involved in this rally so can we stop spreading this unfounded rumour, it'd be a bit like your employer suspending you for standing next to Annis at a Cardiff game because he was a former hooligan. It can't be done.

It is a class example of a local authority bowing down to a hard-core left again.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Sven wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

Chris, I honestly know what it means, but I can't believe it should of even been considered, never mind implicated, the UK is finished.

Ex EDL leader, but so what, freedom of believe and speech, surely ?

Annis, you are correct and I agree but sadly the people at the top are now so scared of 'consequences'
and clinging on to their own jobs that they take the easiest option at every turn, although there is some sense in the "what if?" theory should the person being investigated (not necessarily her) be later shown to be be guilty

In this case, the level of 'wrong-doing' (if there is any) doesn't appear to be anything more than someone passively venting their anger at a situation and hopefully it will all be sorted in the lady's favour :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:23 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Ridiculous

Not ridiculous mate it's sinister.

To those claiming this suspension is standard procedure can you show me one person who's been suspended for attending an Antifa demo.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:58 pm

Jock wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Ridiculous

To those claiming this suspension is standard procedure can you show me one person who's been suspended for attending an Antifa demo.[/quo

agree totally
this standard procedure and diverse comunity .really...????????

Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:59 pm

Jock wrote:
wez1927 wrote:

Ridiculous

To those claiming this suspension is standard procedure can you show me one person who's been suspended for attending an Antifa demo.

Besides which, since when has it been obligatory to share the views of your employer during your own personal time. Providing you are not bringing your company into disrepute, what you choose to do in your own time should have absolutely nothing to do with your employer. My view is that they should mind their own business.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:14 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:

I'm only guessing at the circumstances as I don't know exactly what they are, but for a suspension to take place someone must have made an allegation of misconduct.

What's probably wrong here is someone being over sensitive or even malicious and jumping to conclusions. Hopefully the investigation with exonerate her.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:

I'm only guessing at the circumstances as I don't know exactly what they are, but for a suspension to take place someone must have made an allegation of misconduct.

What's probably wrong here is someone being over sensitive or even malicious and jumping to conclusions. Hopefully the investigation with exonerate her.

the someone should be sacked and sued
it looks very much like an attempt to censor free speech and a persons rights to agree or disagree with certain things.
the march was not illegal...or is the EDL illegal..
its not STANDARD thats for sure..

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:32 pm

This is standard practice in public sector.

The suspension will be on full pay and reviewed weekly whilst the investigation goes on.

It's not about her support for this cause but more about t&cs that preclude publicly acting/supporting political causes without prior clearance.

If she hasn't breached those conditions then the suspension will be lifted and no further action taken. She will not be able to sue as long as the employers follow their HR policies to the letter.

It would be the same if it had been a cummunist /left extremist rally.

Nothing new or unusual, a bit of a non-story I think.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:41 pm

As a side note this is the first time I've seen report or reference one of these rallies on the BBC.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:41 pm

piledriver64 wrote:This is standard practice in public sector.

The suspension will be on full pay and reviewed weekly whilst the investigation goes on.

It's not about her support for this cause but more about t&cs that preclude publicly acting/supporting political causes without prior clearance.

If she hasn't breached those conditions then the suspension will be lifted and no further action taken. She will not be able to sue as long as the employers follow their HR policies to the letter.

So if this is commonplace show me one Antifa supporter who's been suspended, its political censorship and should be a cause for concern for anyone who values freedom of speech and expression.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:46 pm

piledriver64 wrote:This is standard practice in public sector.

id be more than wiiling to see this point if anyone of the people like your self came up with the list of probably hundreds of thousands of public sector employees who have over time been treated likewise.

its flat out censorship...dont go to EDL protests or risk being under threat of losing your job.
THATS THE MESSAGE
please stop pretending its not.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:41 pm

Normally done away from publicity but I can absolutely garuntee that it happens frequently; particularly whenever in a period of purdah leading into an election when the restrictions are even tighter.

Still, don't let the facts get in the way of your conspiracy theory, if that's what you prefer!