Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Sigurdsson from Swansea to Everton

Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:54 am

£32 Million in the papers today, great player, hard to replace him and Llorente, but plenty of money ???

Interesting to see how much of it they spend ???

Re: Sigurdsson from Swansea to Everton

Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:34 am

Great set piece player would be more accurate. He is very slow and all round game is not what it should be. Unfortunately with him in the side we become a bit one dimensional. It is no coincidence we have had our worst finishes in the PL with him playing for us - simply due to the fact that the team changes the way it plays to accommodate him, and it is a style that the other players dont seem suited to.

I domt think we will accept £32m. Our valuation is £40m so will probably meet somewhere in the middle.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:27 pm

SnackaJack wrote:Great set piece player would be more accurate. He is very slow and all round game is not what it should be. Unfortunately with him in the side we become a bit one dimensional. It is no coincidence we have had our worst finishes in the PL with him playing for us - simply due to the fact that the team changes the way it plays to accommodate him, and it is a style that the other players dont seem suited to.

I domt think we will accept £32m. Our valuation is £40m so will probably meet somewhere in the middle.

Some return fir the US owners .

Straight into their pockets

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:38 pm

I think we shoukd have a sticky at the top explaining company law, and we can copy and paste a link to it everytime someone says something as ridiculous as the above.

They do not own the club, they own 68% of shares in a club. They cannot take transfer money and redirect it to themselves. Next...

Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:55 pm

SnackaJack wrote:Great set piece player would be more accurate. He is very slow and all round game is not what it should be. Unfortunately with him in the side we become a bit one dimensional. It is no coincidence we have had our worst finishes in the PL with him playing for us - simply due to the fact that the team changes the way it plays to accommodate him, and it is a style that the other players dont seem suited to.

Jesus Swansea fans are dull, Llorente and Sigurdsson are two of their best players and kept them up, yet they are criticised like this :roll:

You're finishing lower because you keep selling your best players and not replacing them, carry on like that and it's just a matter of time !!!

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Bluebina wrote:

Jesus Swansea fans are dull, Llorente and Sigurdsson are two of their best players and kept them up, yet they are criticised like this :roll:

You're finishing lower because you keep selling your best players and not replacing them, carry on like that and it's just a matter of time !!!

It is not a criticism, they are very good players. A dull view is something it certainly is not.

It is just a clear observation of their impact on the team as a whole. Everything is attempted to go through Sigurdsson and Llorente, we essentially now play for free kicks and corners. We have also compromised our formation to allow Sigurdsson on the pitch to take advantage of the set pieces, he is squeezed outwide and naturally unbalances the side.

I would say our best players are Ayew, Mawson, Olsson, Carroll, Siggy and Llorente. All are replaceable apart from Ayew in my opinion. He provides something very hard to find. Siggys set pieces are hard to replace but as touched upon, our reliance on them changes the mentality and shape of the side for the worse.

By the way, last season apart - we havent finished lower than 12th in the Premier League. In fact we havent finished below 12th in any league for 15 years apart from last season - i think we are doing ok :D

Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:50 pm

Bluebina wrote:

It's same story when sell their good players we don't need them anymore is the response! How can a club progress selling best players? But to blame siggy for their bad season after he contributed vital goals and most in assists for lorrente to score the goals that saved them is brilliant logic. :occasion5:

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:05 pm

The good style of play Swansea used to have that got them promoted and made them hard to beat for a good few years in the prem has long gone now, I can't see them getting that style back especially with the current manager they have, they are going to be fighting relegation along with the usual suspects again this season imo.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:35 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

It's same story when sell their good players we don't need them anymore is the response! How can a club progress selling best players? But to blame siggy for their bad season after he contributed vital goals and most in assists for lorrente to score the goals that saved them is brilliant logic. :occasion5:

And we are proven correct time, after time, after time, after time again.

Trundle, Scotland, Sinclair, Allen, Michu, Williams, De Guzman, Siggy (first time round), Bony, Vorm, Davies etc etc etc

You say not replacing players but we clearly do otherwise we wouldnt have a side. Everyone is replaceable, and we do it time and time again.

Clubs outside the top 6 cannot hold on to their best players and peversely can only progress by selling, anyone who suggests otherwise is deluded. :thumbup:

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:38 pm

BobbyBlue wrote:The good style of play Swansea used to have that got them promoted and made them hard to beat for a good few years in the prem has long gone now, I can't see them getting that style back especially with the current manager they have, they are going to be fighting relegation along with the usual suspects again this season imo.

It hasnt long gone. In fact when Clement took over from Clown Bob it was evident that is how he wanted to instill back in the side, hence the signing of Carroll, Ayew and Olsson. Further proven by the fact we are probably going to sell Siggy and have signed the Spanish pass paster Roque Mesa.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:43 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

They didnt save us, due to them being in the side we can only score a finite amount of goals. The system relies on set pieces and corners, they are the only ones that tend to score due to that. Thankfully we had a decent side and as a result we earned enough corners and free kicks for them to score from. They were not chances created and finished through their individual brilliance and thus single handedly saved us. The system we deployed ensured that any chances the team created, they would ultimately fall to those two. Thankfully they put enough away to save us, but that is certainly not a system we will in any way shape or form want to continue with.

Without them in our side and our natural passing game restored we no doubt would have stayed up far more comfortably as proven every season before hand, and every season for the last 15 years. However due to the time restraints on Clement being appointed with no time to prepare a proper January window he had to make do and persevere the best he could with a few tweaks here and there.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:48 pm

SnackaJack wrote:
BobbyBlue wrote:The good style of play Swansea used to have that got them promoted and made them hard to beat for a good few years in the prem has long gone now, I can't see them getting that style back especially with the current manager they have, they are going to be fighting relegation along with the usual suspects again this season imo.

It hasnt long gone. In fact when Clement took over from Clown Bob it was evident that is how he wanted to instill back in the side, hence the signing of Carroll, Ayew and Olsson. Further proven by the fact we are probably going to sell Siggy and have signed the Spanish pass paster Roque Mesa.

That's just my opinion, last season Swansea were awful to watch, whereas in the past their football was mesmerising at times. I just can't see them getting that style back in the near future, whether this 'pass master' can cut it in the prem is still to be seen, I'm sure that borja guy was the next big thing last season but he was a bag of spanners.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:53 pm

BobbyBlue wrote:
SnackaJack wrote:

That's just my opinion, last season Swansea were awful to watch, whereas in the past their football was mesmerising at times. I just can't see them getting that style back in the near future, whether this 'pass master' can cut it in the prem is still to be seen, I'm sure that borja guy was the next big thing last season but he was a bag of spanners.

With respect, there isnt any actual thought behind that though is there? Its just you saying it.

Borja was again in the mould of Llorente, just not as good in the air. It was an ill thought out signing due to a confused way to go forward. He has now gone back to La Liga.

Clement clearly does want to go back to the "swansea way". And we have the players to implement it. Ayew, Carrol, Mawson, Fabianksi, Fernandez, Fer, Mesa, Britton are all players who can fit the system perfectly.

Our issue was we had a team full of technical passing players being forced to play to the airial strength of Llorente and and the set piece strength of Siggy. It just didnt work. If they are gone then we are essentially the same side that played such wonderful football. Just need a dynamic attacking midfielder and a more mobile striker (which is is why we signed Tammy Abraham).

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:02 pm

I'm not a fan of those players you've just listed, one or two maybe but I don't think their are the players to get Swansea back to their old ways, they wernt last season and they won't be this season, and like I said until I see what this mesa has to offer in the prem, i can't see Swansea improving. Also, who's this Cameroon guy Swansea are signing, looks another dud to me.

Selling Fernando L is a big mistake imo, proven goal scorer who will get Swansea goals, he's obviously quality or Chelsea wouldn't be looking at him. Instead bring in some Cameroon bum who's scored in the Turkish league :lol:

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:08 pm

BobbyBlue wrote:I'm not a fan of those players you've just listed, one or two maybe but I don't think their are the players to get Swansea back to their old ways, they wernt last season and they won't be this season, and like I said until I see what this mesa has to offer in the prem, i can't see Swansea improving. Also, who's this Cameroon guy Swansea are signing, looks another dud to me.

Selling Fernando L is a big mistake imo, proven goal scorer who will get Swansea goals, he's obviously quality or Chelsea wouldn't be looking at him. Instead bring in some Cameroon bum who's scored in the Turkish league :lol:

Doesnt matter if you are a fan or not of them though, they are proven Premier league passers. Mawson is a better passer than Williams, Mesa is apparently a better passer than Leon (time will tell), Ayew is so much better at link up play than any other winger we have had, Carrolls passing range is mesmeric, and Tammy Abraham is clearly better on the deck than Llorente. The reason they didnt do it last year as touched upon is because of the way we were forced to play due to Siggy and Llorente. If they stay then I agree with you, we wont get back to our passing style, but that doesnt look to be the case.

Not sure about the Cameroon guy? Do you have a link? First ive heard of it I think.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:12 pm

SnackaJack wrote:
BobbyBlue wrote:I'm not a fan of those players you've just listed, one or two maybe but I don't think their are the players to get Swansea back to their old ways, they wernt last season and they won't be this season, and like I said until I see what this mesa has to offer in the prem, i can't see Swansea improving. Also, who's this Cameroon guy Swansea are signing, looks another dud to me.

Doesnt matter if you are a fan or not of them though, they are proven Premier league passers. Mawson is a better passer than Williams, Mesa is apparently a better passer than Leon (time will tell), Ayew is so much better at link up play than any other winger we have had, Carrolls passing range is mesmeric, and Tammy Abraham is clearly better on the deck than Llorente. The reason they didnt do it last year as touched upon is because of the way we were forced to play due to Siggy and Llorente. If they stay then I agree with you, we wont get back to our passing style, but that doesnt look to be the case.

Not sure about the Cameroon guy? Do you have a link? First ive heard of it I think.

Seen it on Facebook,

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... a-13304971

Sammy Abraham hmmm struggled against us the jury is out on him also, as it is with most new players coming to the Prem we will just have to wait and see. It's obviously your opinion that Fernando and Sygi affected Swanseas play, the majority of Swansea fans are crying a river on Facebook banter pages that they are leaving.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:34 pm

BobbyBlue wrote:
SnackaJack wrote:

Seen it on Facebook,

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... a-13304971

Sammy Abraham hmmm struggled against us the jury is out on him also, as it is with most new players coming to the Prem we will just have to wait and see. It's obviously your opinion that Fernando and Sygi affected Swanseas play, the majority of Swansea fans are crying a river on Facebook banter pages that they are leaving.

The majority of fans for most clubs are morons. It has been said on our forums for a long while that we are too dependent on their individual limited strengths and fit our style around them. Tammy Abraham got 23 goals in a struggling side in the Championship, that is no mean feat and was very impressive in the England U21 campaign just finished. Chelsea have high hopes for him and you can see why, although doubt he will be a starter for us. We will replace Llorente if he goes I would have thought, with someone a but more mobile than Llorente but more experience than Abraham....

Very much like the guy you have linked to there funnily enough :D cant say ive seen too much of him apart from at the recent Confederations Cup. Im sure he is the player that impressed against Germany.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:33 pm

Looks like you are right Bobby:-

Swansea City are set to win the race for Newcastle United target Vincent Aboubakar after the striker claimed he does not want to miss the chance to join the Welsh giants.

The 25-year-old has been linked with a number of clubs in English football, with Newcastle recently reported to be confident of being able to take him to St. James' Park.

But Aboubakar, who spent last season on loan at Turkish giants Besiktas from Portuguese side FC Porto, appears to have his heart set on joining Swansea.

"I'm going to England, Swansea has a proposal. I do not want to miss it", the striker was quoted as saying by Wales Online.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:15 pm

SnackaJack wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

It is not a criticism, they are very good players. A dull view is something it certainly is not.

It is just a clear observation of their impact on the team as a whole. Everything is attempted to go through Sigurdsson and Llorente, we essentially now play for free kicks and corners. We have also compromised our formation to allow Sigurdsson on the pitch to take advantage of the set pieces, he is squeezed outwide and naturally unbalances the side.

I would say our best players are Ayew, Mawson, Olsson, Carroll, Siggy and Llorente. All are replaceable apart from Ayew in my opinion. He provides something very hard to find. Siggys set pieces are hard to replace but as touched upon, our reliance on them changes the mentality and shape of the side for the worse.

By the way, last season apart - we havent finished lower than 12th in the Premier League. In fact we havent finished below 12th in any league for 15 years apart from last season - i think we are doing ok :D

When Llorente was out of the team, it really started to look like you were going to be relegated, he came back and got some goals along with assists and goals from Siggurdson, and you recovered just in time.

They will be hard to replace however much you try to deny it.

You obviously watch them more than me, but I'm not sure any of the others are much good except Mawson who looked decent, so he will probably be the next out the door.

Little Britten did really well for you aswell, he seemed to motivate the players more than your Management team, and you lot owe him big time.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:21 pm

SnackaJack wrote:

Tammy better than Llorente WTF :laughing5: :laughing5:

You haven't seen him have you !!!

Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:30 pm

Read it again slowly.

Better on the deck. Llorente is donkey with the ball at his feet, if you think otherwise then I redirect the "you havent seen him have you?" to yourself :laughing6:

I would say our third choice striker Oli McBurnie is better with the ball at his feet than Llorente. Tammy Abraham has incredible foot speed and coordination for a big striker. So it signifies a change from last seasons tactics - was the point.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:34 pm

If Llorrente tried this he would put himself in hospital :lol:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/27/chelsea-l ... g-6537359/