Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Signings - My Big Concern

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:56 pm

No doubt those who read thIs will say I'm a pessimistic fan and I need to be patient. However- I am a real fan and care. Whilst NW said we have signed some bargains - in relation to other clubs we have spent little. We had to replace the keeper so we have only spent approximately 2 million - Ward and Patterson who is already crocked and remember it was a cruciate so the full recovery could be some time. My point is NW said at the end of the season he would like the new players in before pre- season starts. When this wasn't happening he said before the Taffs Well game. Now - its we have the whole transfer window. Well we been here before with a number of managers and even NW said we needed bodies in last Christmas - but nothing really materialised. Is it that really Tan has not given him the rumoured 6 million? If he has we need another striker in and certainly a creative midfielder NOW. We have lost the creativity of Witts and without this how are we going to open up other teams? Whilst I am fully behind NW and am looking forward to the season, if we are going to push for promotion, we need to spend the promised money and some quality signings. Remember NW did say at the end of last season he neede 3-4 players that could come straight into the team. Well where are they? Thoughts Bluebirds?

Re: Signings - My Big Concern

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:03 pm

Do you not know what Neil Warnock
Did at QPR? Spent 5 mil on basement buys and free transfers, molded a team together who fought for each other and wernt just chasing the dollar, and got QPR promoted. There's no reason he can't do the same here, money doesn't buy you the league, well it did for Newcastle :lol: but I can't see another team as strong as them this season.

I agree tho we still need a couple more signings.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:05 pm

When someone like patterson becomes available then you grab them if he was not recovering from an injury he would have gone to west ham, Warnock did well not to spend money in January, as it would not have made any difference to the position we eventually ended up in you do know that we have until September to sign players, we are not going to get all the players we want before the season starts, just be patient, you will not get a better wily old manager than Warnock, he does know what he is doing :thumbup:

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:58 pm

He's been open and honest saying he thinks he's got some real basement bargains. The players already brought in have mainly added depth to the squad and now I think you'll see us bring in that added bit of quality we needs. obviously ideally he would've liked to have them all in by the start of pre-season but unfortunately that rarely happens so just sit tight. I wouldn't imagine we've got a massive budget to play with so getting the right players in at the right place isn't going to happen over night. Neil's got it under control I've got no worries about that.

:ayatollah: :bluebird:

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:10 pm

I really believe the next couple of signings are crucial. We must have a dominant midfielder and a number 10 who can score. I'm very pleased so far, but Warnock admits he needs another three.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:18 pm

He's too long in the tooth to sign rubbish. Obviously he will get the odd one wrong, but he's been in this game too long to get it drastically wrong.
as the above said aswell. He's got QPR promoted spending 5M

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:07 pm

We need to add more goals to the team which will probably involve spending a fair bit of money.
Warnock took QPR up 7 years ago prices in the championship have inflated massively since then.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:23 pm

Brezza wrote:No doubt those who read thIs will say I'm a pessimistic fan and I need to be patient. However- I am a real fan and care. Whilst NW said we have signed some bargains - in relation to other clubs we have spent little. We had to replace the keeper so we have only spent approximately 2 million - Ward and Patterson who is already crocked and remember it was a cruciate so the full recovery could be some time. My point is NW said at the end of the season he would like the new players in before pre- season starts. When this wasn't happening he said before the Taffs Well game. Now - its we have the whole transfer window. Well we been here before with a number of managers and even NW said we needed bodies in last Christmas - but nothing really materialised. Is it that really Tan has not given him the rumoured 6 million? If he has we need another striker in and certainly a creative midfielder NOW. We have lost the creativity of Witts and without this how are we going to open up other teams? Whilst I am fully behind NW and am looking forward to the season, if we are going to push for promotion, we need to spend the promised money and some quality signings. Remember NW did say at the end of last season he neede 3-4 players that could come straight into the team. Well where are they? Thoughts Bluebirds?

You make some valid points mate but so does bobby right underneath you re:QPR, Would personally like to see us bring in a couple on loan, I dont think we are far off having a squad that can challenge for the top 6

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:43 pm

RV Casual wrote:
Brezza wrote:No doubt those who read thIs will say I'm a pessimistic fan and I need to be patient. However- I am a real fan and care. Whilst NW said we have signed some bargains - in relation to other clubs we have spent little. We had to replace the keeper so we have only spent approximately 2 million - Ward and Patterson who is already crocked and remember it was a cruciate so the full recovery could be some time. My point is NW said at the end of the season he would like the new players in before pre- season starts. When this wasn't happening he said before the Taffs Well game. Now - its we have the whole transfer window. Well we been here before with a number of managers and even NW said we needed bodies in last Christmas - but nothing really materialised. Is it that really Tan has not given him the rumoured 6 million? If he has we need another striker in and certainly a creative midfielder NOW. We have lost the creativity of Witts and without this how are we going to open up other teams? Whilst I am fully behind NW and am looking forward to the season, if we are going to push for promotion, we need to spend the promised money and some quality signings. Remember NW did say at the end of last season he neede 3-4 players that could come straight into the team. Well where are they? Thoughts Bluebirds?

You make some valid points mate but so does bobby right underneath you re:QPR, Would personally like to see us bring in a couple on loan, I dont think we are far off having a squad that can challenge for the top 6

It looks to me as if we might have a stronger squad than we had last season, but I'm not sure if our first team is much better than this time last year. However, given the improvement under Warnock, we may have just squeezed into the top 6 had he been here from day 1, so possibly we may be there or thereabouts as he will have had a pre-season as well as the chance of a complete season this time. I still think we are one or two quality players short of a serious promotion push, but hopefully they may still come before the league season starts.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:45 pm

BobbyBlue wrote:Do you not know what Neil Warnock
Did at QPR? Spent 5 mil on basement buys and free transfers, molded a team together who fought for each other and wernt just chasing the dollar, and got QPR promoted. There's no reason he can't do the same here, money doesn't buy you the league, well it did for Newcastle :lol: but I can't see another team as strong as them this season.

I agree tho we still need a couple more signings.

Some teams like Newcastle get it right but to prove your point further look at villa and Derby!

In happy thus far but we need some more attacking options 100%.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:12 am

Brezza ,NW has already said he has missed out on two and one of them was this weekend, But to state Mr Tan may have not have given him the money is plain ridiculous as even freebies need paying and we have turned down a good money offer for Ken and finally how do you think we kept Bruno (who I see as a new signing) as we all thought he was going.
Good strong young side coming together here and very excited about it, Just leave it to Neil as did anyone see this French lad coming ? as I didn't.
Marquee signing days are over and good riddance.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:10 am

I guess the bottom line is that our club doesn't have much in the way of finances available. 3 mill 5 mill or 6? In this day and age even that doesn't buy you much. However, Warnock is a great proven manager who can get the best out of players and bring them up a level or 2 where other managers may not be able to do so. The point is, if we improve a little on last year - we will be challenging to break into the top 6 and this time we will have Warnock from the start of the season. If we succeed we do it in absolute style being abit of a dark horse and without spending a lot of money and will be even better financially poised to enter the following season in the CHAMPIONSHIP OR THE PREMIER LEAGUE! If we fail to make the top 6 than at least we didn't spend much and can go again the following season without being in a knightmare financial situation having taken major risks now. And I know you have to risk abit to gain abit but we simply don't have it (the money) so it's our only option and I'd rather be going into the season Hoping for the top half and possible play off finish than worrying about whether we can stay up!

Sit back and enjoy the ride into the unknown!

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:26 am

We had a very weak squad and Warnock has so far improved our squad dramatically and increased numbers in the right areas.

There are some risks for sure but these days the risks are minimum compared to previously.

The six signings so far and the players left leaves our squad in a much more healthy position that a year ago.

I still feel that we need 2 players who will be first teamers.. certainly in midfield and a number 10 but confident in NW's ability to attract the right kind of player.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:53 am

I'm becoming concerned that for me Warnock is getting something of a reputation for saying one thing and doing the complete opposite also I need to see him having the ability to attract quality players to our club,these are my own personal views and I know not universally shared by others on here

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:10 am

angelis1949 wrote:

I'm becoming concerned that for me Warnock is getting something of a reputation for saying one thing and doing the complete opposite also I need to see him having the ability to attract quality players to our club,these are my own personal views and I know not universally shared by others on here

I never expected any real big signings here over the Summer, because Tan has said many times that he would not be throwing money at the club after we changed back to our traditional blue colours. He also wants to get this club financially sound which is something I agree with. If we can achieve this without being relegated, I will be happy enough. Anything better would be a bonus, and who knows what we may achieve with Warnock here. He does'nt have a bad track record, and I think we probably have the best man for the job.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:48 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
angelis1949 wrote:

I never expected any real big signings here over the Summer, because Tan has said many times that he would not be throwing money at the club after we changed back to our traditional blue colours. He also wants to get this club financially sound which is something I agree with. If we can achieve this without being relegated, I will be happy enough. Anything better would be a bonus, and who knows what we may achieve with Warnock here. He does'nt have a bad track record, and I think we probably have the best man for the job.

Two points I would make,first point,Warnock did say he only needed a six million pound war chest to put together a team capable of challenging for a play-off position,second point to make is am I given to understand that your only ambition for our club is not to get relegated,anything else would be a bonus

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:33 pm

Appears to me that everyone is banking on Neil Warnock achieving a miracle getting promoted with this squad

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:41 pm

I know I think we need 3 quality players or can't see us getting near the play offs

Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:24 pm

angelis1949 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
angelis1949 wrote:

Two points I would make,first point,Warnock did say he only needed a six million pound war chest to put together a team capable of challenging for a play-off position,second point to make is am I given to understand that your only ambition for our club is not to get relegated,anything else would be a bonus

My hope is we that we can get rid of the massive debts hanging over this club, and maintain our Championship status at the same time. Spent too many years watching us play in the bottom division with barely a penny to our name. Don't want to see a return to those days, I accept that Tan is not going to pump money into the club and given our finances, relegation in the not too distant future could become a reality. I hope we can get rid of these debts without that happening, but I think it could be tough to keep playing at this level on a shoestring budget.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
angelis1949 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
angelis1949 wrote:

My hope is we that we can get rid of the massive debts hanging over this club, and maintain our Championship status at the same time. Spent too many years watching us play in the bottom division with barely a penny to our name. Don't want to see a return to those days, I accept that Tan is not going to pump money into the club and given our finances, relegation in the not too distant future could become a reality. I hope we can get rid of these debts without that happening, but I think it could be tough to keep playing at this level on a shoestring budget.

Reality check ,painful but true

Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:53 pm

Jules wrote:Brezza ,NW has already said he has missed out on two and one of them was this weekend, But to state Mr Tan may have not have given him the money is plain ridiculous as even freebies need paying and we have turned down a good money offer for Ken and finally how do you think we kept Bruno (who I see as a new signing) as we all thought he was going.
Good strong young side coming together here and very excited about it, Just leave it to Neil as did anyone see this French lad coming ? as I didn't.
Marquee signing days are over and good riddance.

I concur

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:24 pm

Hopefully we can be in the top 8 come January then add again to the squad to push us further for the play offs, we are lucky to have the right Manager for the job ahead. BLUEBIRDS!

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:45 pm

Anyone who thinks we are getting promoted on freebies and a million quid odd striker is a dreamer in my opinion, more have left than we have signed obviously the wage dead wood has gone which is a good thing but wheres this 6million Warnock transfer kitty he was on about having and he said in his own words it was pointless him staying here another season if we was not prepared to have a go without it due to his age :bluescarf:
Still the rite man for the job imo but at best I think it will be 9th or 10th :bluescarf:

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:24 pm

Im actually impressed with the additions so far. We have a bit of strength in depth in most areas and NW has still said he has a few to come in. Jonny Hayes was the main target for me and decided to stay in the pub league. His loss IMO.

We have kept hold of Kadeem & Hoilett with Manga which in my eyes are 3 signings in itself and will all play a big part.

We have a good strike partnership on paper and need backup there though if the rumours around an in form Saidi are true we may have cover. Midfield is the key for me but Im confident Warnock will get a good one there and potentially a loan striker to go on bench. Other than that defence looks good, keepers are now sorted for a fraction of the cost of previous years and we do have goals.

I have to say so far this summer ive been impressed with what Warnock has done. Ward will be a big one IMO

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:06 pm

exiled in Norfolk wrote:Hopefully we can be in the top 8 come January then add again to the squad to push us further for the play offs, we are lucky to have the right Manager for the job ahead. BLUEBIRDS!

:thumbup: :bluebird:

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:37 pm

oxfordblue wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
angelis1949 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
angelis1949 wrote:

Reality check ,painful but true

Agreed, we're lucky with the incompetentcy at our club over the last few years we're not already in league 1 or worse. I for one am happy with the way we're doing business and can't wait for next season and I think the majority share that view!