Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Why the hate on Rickie Lambert?

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:49 pm

I was wondering why people did not like Rickie Lambert, the guy is 30-34 years old.

He has done a fab job despite injury and unfitness, I hope he has a fitting end to his Football Career :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Re: Why the hate on Rickie Lambert?

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:15 pm

I dont think anyone hates him mate just glad to see him off the books as he was a poor signing on big money

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:51 am

Sam ReaN wrote:I was wondering why people did not like Rickie Lambert, the guy is 30-34 years old.

He has done a fab job despite injury and unfitness, I hope he has a fitting end to his Football Career :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Sam, I think a lot of people are more disappointed with Lambert than actually 'hate' him and it's easy to see why with the reputation and career he had before he arrived (injuries apart). I think we all hoped he'd be the striking Messiah we've been looking for but it wasn't to be and Kenneth Zohore took his chance very well at the same time! :thumbup:

Most will wish Ricky Lambert well but will be equally relieved he is off the wage bill, as his wages to games ratio was possibly the highest in The Championship! :cry:

Have a great weekend at Silverstone with dad and the other guys :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:49 am

Because he was just hear to collect a pay cheque?

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:39 pm

T1JMO wrote:Because he was just hear to collect a pay cheque?

Got some bad news for you but they all are, none of them are here for the love of Cardiff city.

I have no problem with Lambert at all, we shouldn't have paid him so much but the manager wanted him and we were desperate for a striker. I don't see any reason he should forgo wages just because Warnock didn't want him. I thought he did reasonably well towards the start of the season.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:45 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

Got some bad news for you but they all are, none of them are here for the love of Cardiff city.

I have no problem with Lambert at all, we shouldn't have paid him so much but the manager wanted him and we were desperate for a striker. I don't see any reason he should forgo wages just because Warnock didn't want him. I thought he did reasonably well towards the start of the season.

I realise that - but I have the expectation of, you know occasionally playing and showing a decent level of effort when you do... the work rate was just not there and his legs were gone.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:57 pm

T1JMO wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

I realise that - but I have the expectation of, you know occasionally playing and showing a decent level of effort when you do... the work rate was just not there and his legs were gone.

Well we have a difference of opinion then, I thought he well most of the time when he played and no doubt he would have played more but Warnock didn't want him. he was on the bench pretty often.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:01 pm

T1JMO wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

He wasn't fit and was injured lots. That's a different thing than not working hard and showing a decent level. He's just past it, no complaints about his effort or commitment he's a decent pro.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:05 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

Of course you are correct but it does leave a bad taste when there is strong evidence that he signed knowing that he was way short of the fitness required from someone being paid £25kpw.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:28 pm

I have never hated him. In fact, I enjoyed watching him play during the few years that he was at his peak, and knocking them in for fun. No doubt about it, he was a good player and had the knack of finding the net. Unfortunately, I never expected him to reproduce that sort of form for us as it was obvious that he was becoming more injury prone with age. Sadly, he was past his sell by date when he came here, but I think he may be able to use his experience during periods when he is not injured to score a few goals in the lower leagues.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:50 pm

I don't hate him personally but he stands for all that's wrong in the modern game. Pure greed resulted in him wanting and getting offered an additional year if he managed to get on the pitch 20 times. The idiots at our end who agreed to it want locking up. We were never going to give him that extra year but Lambert preferred to sit on the bench and in the end it was all a bit of a farce. He could have waived the contract if he really wanted to play. As for getting his wages off the books I suspect he's gonna cost us as much as any other player this coming season although we 've probably already paid it. So if we think his cost is nil we're only kidding ourselves. I'd be very surprised if he's taken anything less than 75%.

I'll say it again. With the benefit of hindsight Ricky Lambert may have been a bad signing but It was a god awful deal as soon as we put pen to paper. Too costly especially considering his contract for last season for West Brom was almost fully paid up, too long a contract at 2 years and the potential 3rd year was just pure bonkers.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:28 pm

100% No hate, I actually don't blame Lambert at all, who can blame an injured player for taking monry thrown at him, not many in this world would say no, I blame the so called commitee.

We got him well past his sell by date.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:17 pm

RV Casual wrote:I dont think anyone hates him mate just glad to see him off the books as he was a poor signing on big money

Agree.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:37 pm

You can't hate or blame him-

If you put yourself in his boots as a career man, if your offered a job at £k more than your currently on, but your not sure you can deliver what's needed 90% of people are going to try and take the money and see what hapens.

I'd do it, it would be hard for you to say you wouldn't surely.

He just wants to play he could have easily taken the money and sat on the bench never really trying anywhere but he gave it ago wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get picked up and retires tbh

For me, and I love Carlos Tevez, but he seems to have gone to Boca in a romantic view, then been offered shed loads of cash in China, gone there and done sweet fanny adams, just can't be bothered, shadownl of what we know he can do. That's the problem with football players money obsessed ones.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:11 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Of course you are correct but it does leave a bad taste when there is strong evidence that he signed knowing that he was way short of the fitness required from someone being paid £25kpw.

i dont think there is any evidence let alone strong evidence..most people assume they will get oover an illness or injury so why wouldnt a fit young man.
besides ,WE went and made an offer..it was not ricky camped outside the main stand begging that we sign him.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:43 pm

No hate or love - barely saw the fella