Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

All these big transfer fees turn me off football

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:02 pm

How fans in prem league dont make a stand amazes me. Players pissing themselves with wages their getting. What's the cheapest season ticket in prem????

Would i pay double my season ticket price if we get promoted ??

Re: All these big transfer fees turn me off football

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:19 pm

blue lagoon wrote:How fans in prem league dont make a stand amazes me. Players pissing themselves with wages their getting. What's the cheapest season ticket in prem????

truth is if fans did not turn up it would make very little difference to player wages as the bulk of money comes from TV..sponsorship etc.
a friend of mine that watches Swansea said their STs are £450 and a £20 cap on away tickets. and Huddersfield on all accounts are cheap...so depends which prem team

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:29 pm

dogfound wrote:
blue lagoon wrote:How fans in prem league dont make a stand amazes me. Players pissing themselves with wages their getting. What's the cheapest season ticket in prem????

truth is if fans did not turn up it would make very little difference to player wages as the bulk of money comes from TV..sponsorship etc.
a friend of mine that watches Swansea said their STs are £450 and a £20 cap on away tickets. and Huddersfield on all accounts are cheap...so depends which prem team

That's true it's the sky tv money that's the main income for most Clubs these days. However, if you believe the financial press it's looks like sky and BT paid way over the odds in the last auction. Sky's match day viewing figures were down considerably last season and and they are no longer putting new customers on. They won't be able to afford to pay the same amount next time

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:40 pm

£199 :thumbup:

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:32 am

This is the farce of the PL. Everyone raves about the riches on offer yet all that happens is transfer fees, players wages and agents fees escalate. In particular foreign clubs benefit as players you could have got in the past for say £15m are now £30m or £40m, with the knock on that agents fees (parasites) and wages are astronomical. Same players, more outlay.

With the exception of the odd freak result (Leicester), the big clubs still operate their mini league at the top whilst the rest scrap around as cannon fodder in a relegation battle for most of the season. Nothing really changes.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:11 am

Carpe Diem wrote:This is the farce of the PL. Everyone raves about the riches on offer yet all that happens is transfer fees, players wages and agents fees escalate. In particular foreign clubs benefit as players you could have got in the past for say £15m are now £30m or £40m, with the knock on that agents fees (parasites) and wages are astronomical. Same players, more outlay.

With the exception of the odd freak result (Leicester), the big clubs still operate their mini league at the top whilst the rest scrap around as cannon fodder in a relegation battle for most of the season. Nothing really changes.

Not really. We have been able to finance first class training facilities, top class academy and planning stadium purchase and expansion without going into debt. When the bubble bursts, the teams with the least debt and that relies the least on the Sky handouts will become the stronger clubs. We have no signifficant debt, cut our cloth accordingly and now have an incredible and fully paid for infrastructure. If it wasnt for the riches of the PL none of that would be possible. It is a legacy that will stay with and continue to positively affect the club for decades and generations to come.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:26 pm

My biggest problems are the systematic raiding of the smaller clubs in the league who are trying to bring through their own talent - which now seems a rarity these days. Then those youngsters get to much to soon never connecting with the lower league fans and very often end up never making it with the big boys and falling off to rivals never making an appearance for the clubs who tried to nurture them in the first place.

The home grown players that do get to play in the Premier and heir country's almost seem at a lesser level than the players before who didn't even get picked by their nations in years gone by. The influx of talent is great but at the detriment to our own players there needs to be a quota that's stuck too on foreign stars- it would level the playing field as well.

I feel that clubs in the leagues below the premier rather than have a squad they can be proud of and know the history of they seem to be picking up a squad of journey men as they're priced out of the developing players market.

It's a farce there is no need for the amount of cash being thrown about.

It hardly ever trickles or flows to the lower leagues and non leagues and if you look at the WPL can you see any evidence there of being fortunate to pick up cash from the bigger clubs.

For the UK or English football in particular there's a real risk of the top teams breaking away to play a franchise level of football and the game as it is falling away

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:35 pm

I can remember the first £100,000 transfer!

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:43 pm

Was that Dennis Law?

Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:31 pm

Blue_Barber wrote:Was that Dennis Law?

Now that you mention it, yes it was, to Torino. I was thinking, though, of Allan Clarke going from Fulham to Leicester, the first £100k transfer between two English clubs. The Dennis Law transfer was a bit before my time!

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Mine too significantly I just remember something on it a few weeks ago