Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' 5,000 VILLA FANS /SO CARDIFF FANS WILL HAVE TO MOVE '

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:59 pm

' 5,000 VILLA FANS /SO CARDIFF FANS WILL HAVE TO MOVE '

' UPDATED '

Fans face being moved as Aston Villa are offered 5,000 tickets for Cardiff City's first home game

12/07/17

Cardiff City fans face being moved from their usual home seats for the Bluebirds' Championship clash with Aston Villa on August 12 as Steve Bruce's side have been offered up to 5,000 tickets for the game in the Welsh capital.

The Villans brought 3,450 supporters to Cardiff City Stadium for the corresponding fixture last term, a game Neil Warnock's men won 1-0 courtesy of Joe Ralls' first-half strike.

It was a tally bettered only by Championship winners Newcastle who had more than 4,000 fans in the away section when they beat the Bluebirds 2-0 in Cardiff's final home game of the 2016-17 campaign.

And ahead of the club's first home match of the upcoming Championship season, Cardiff have issued a letter to supporters saying they could potentially be moved from their regular seats as Aston Villa have been offered a bumper allocation of 5,000 tickets in a bid to maximise the atmosphere at the 33,500-seater venue.

If the visitors take up the full allocation for the trip to south Wales, Cardiff fans in certain sections of the Family Stand face being moved, although the club have promised they will be relocated in "adjacent blocks or in excellent seats in Level 4 of the Ninian Stand".

A statement issued to fans read: "The demand for away tickets for this fixture has greatly exceeded the capacity in our normal away section.

"Discussions have therefore been held with the Safety Advisory Group and South Wales Police and it has been decided to attempt to satisfy the demand for traveling supporters by potentially increasing the away ticket allocation from 2,200 to 5,000.

"This increase will be achieved by extending the away section into blocks 123, 124 & (part of) 125 of the Family Stand and we apologise that this contingency may result in possible relocation for the fixture.

"Season ticket holders who are displaced from their normal Family Stand seats will be relocated in adjacent blocks or in excellent seats in Level 4 of the Ninian Stand."

Why give Villa more tickets?

Give them what everyone else has, or at least no more than they had last year. Its as if we are giving them a fighting chance of getting a result here by allowing them as much support as they can get. Am sure we can sell a lot on our own. First home game, big club visiting.... Nice sunny day and all that! Id think we can get 26000 at least without any more Villa than last year
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Villa home- why?

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:26 pm

probably just what they have asked for, up to city fans to buy enough tickets now to fill the rest.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Because we have the room they want that amount of tickets and it's extra income for club! :thumbup:

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:37 pm

Let's hope we're charging their fans the same as they charged us at their place last season.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:48 pm

davids wrote:Let's hope we're charging their fans the same as they charged us at their place last season.

Spot on. And the same with other clubs who overprice - its the principle of this which annoys me especially when our away fan prices and amenities are probably one of the best for visitors throughout the leagues.

I've also heard that there were complaints to the club after some Villa fans tried to get into the family stand, which to be fair was policed/security very poorly considering what the cowards are like, so I imagine that there will be more Heddlu about too.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:36 pm

2blue2handle wrote:probably just what they have asked for, up to city fans to buy enough tickets now to fill the rest.

Let's make sure we fill out the rest of the Stadium. A win away at Burton, and victory against Pompey should see at least 26k, but nothing stopping us getting 30k plus. Bring a mate, partner, son, daughter to this one. What a boost to beat Villa opening home game.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:40 pm

davids wrote:Let's hope we're charging their fans the same as they charged us at their place last season.

What were you charged last season? I'd guess that it was under £30.

Why do you think that charging fellow football supporters more money actually affects or bothers the club who they support? It wasn't the fans that charged you, you know?

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:09 pm

:thumbright:
AV3 wrote:

Why do you think that charging fellow football supporters more money actually affects or bothers the club who they support? It wasn't the fans that charged you, you know?

Haven't you missed the point a bit? Is it right that a club can charge premiership rates for away fans e.g. (shef wed/leeds) whilst they get treated same as home fans when they go away? Yes clubs charge the price but the effect is less fans go away!
Or do you think it's ok to charge what they like?

Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:35 am

Barclay1 wrote:Why give Villa more tickets? Give them what everyone else has, or at least no more than they had last year. Its as if we are giving them a fighting chance of getting a result here by allowing them as much support as they can get. Am sure we can sell a lot on our own. First home game, big club visiting.... Nice sunny day and all that! Id think we can get 26000 at least without any more Villa than last year

It's about money despite what the letter from Wayne Nash says spouting "Public Safety". Surely the "Public Safety" risks are far higher when you effectively double the number of away fans and that will be clearly demonstrated by the additional numbers of Police that WILL be required on the day, and what will that cost.

This is now the 2nd Home game on the trot where our club has shown it is more than willing the sell tickets to whoever wants them. Why?

5 years ago this would have been unthinkable but right now expect this to become the norm.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:42 am

AV3 wrote:

If I remember correctly it was £30 to Villa. That's cheaper then Leeds and Ipswich charge.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:24 am

AV3 wrote:

I just wonder why certain clubs charge more than others in the same division. What is the difference between watching my team play at Burton and watching them play at say Leeds? The answer is about £15.

Why is that? Both teams are in the same division. Neither club provides anything other than the most basic of facilities for away supporters so why does one club charge almost double what the other charges?

Is it because clubs like Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Villa believe that they are "big" clubs who can charge Premier League prices (actually higher in some cases than Premier League prices)?

I well appreciate that it is the club that charges away supporters and not the fans but last season Cardiff and Reading agreed that away fans for both fixtures would be charged £20. What a great idea! If only more clubs would do this but you can't see clubs like Leeds agreeing to it - why not?

My criticism in my original post was more directed at my club than yours. If I ran a club and my fans were being charged £30 or more by a club to watch their team at an away game I would be making sure that I was charging their fans exactly the same when they came to our ground.

One of just many reasons why I'm not running a football club.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:24 am

pembroke allan wrote::thumbright:
AV3 wrote:

Haven't you missed the point a bit? Is it right that a club can charge premiership rates for away fans e.g. (shef wed/leeds) whilst they get treated same as home fans when they go away? Yes clubs charge the price but the effect is less fans go away!
Or do you think it's ok to charge what they like?

Of course I don't think that it's OK for clubs to charge what they like but that is exactly what some are suggesting that you do - 2 wrongs don't make a right and ripping off fans makes only fans suffer - The clubs do not suffer.

I don't know what you charge away fans but I think that anything up to £30 is acceptable. last season, Norwich charged £40 for a Tuesday night in December, live on Sky, Sheff Wed charged £48. Reading and Villa also had the £20 deal which suggests that it was Reading's idea. The seating at Villa gives a good view and the home fans are charged the same in similar areas of the ground.

Unless all teams come to an agreement, there is always going to be differences in ticket prices - There always has been. It's an argument that I've heard many times over the years and in the past I've been in favour of charging away fans what we are charged at theirs. Nowadays, my opinion is that fans should not be made to suffer for the greed of the clubs that they follow.

Re: ' 5,000 VILLA FANS /SO CARDIFF FANS WILL HAVE TO MOVE '

Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:45 am

' UPDATED '

Fans face being moved as Aston Villa are offered 5,000 tickets for Cardiff City's first home game

12/07/17

Cardiff City fans face being moved from their usual home seats for the Bluebirds' Championship clash with Aston Villa on August 12 as Steve Bruce's side have been offered up to 5,000 tickets for the game in the Welsh capital.

The Villans brought 3,450 supporters to Cardiff City Stadium for the corresponding fixture last term, a game Neil Warnock's men won 1-0 courtesy of Joe Ralls' first-half strike.

It was a tally bettered only by Championship winners Newcastle who had more than 4,000 fans in the away section when they beat the Bluebirds 2-0 in Cardiff's final home game of the 2016-17 campaign.

And ahead of the club's first home match of the upcoming Championship season, Cardiff have issued a letter to supporters saying they could potentially be moved from their regular seats as Aston Villa have been offered a bumper allocation of 5,000 tickets in a bid to maximise the atmosphere at the 33,500-seater venue.

If the visitors take up the full allocation for the trip to south Wales, Cardiff fans in certain sections of the Family Stand face being moved, although the club have promised they will be relocated in "adjacent blocks or in excellent seats in Level 4 of the Ninian Stand".

A statement issued to fans read: "The demand for away tickets for this fixture has greatly exceeded the capacity in our normal away section.

"Discussions have therefore been held with the Safety Advisory Group and South Wales Police and it has been decided to attempt to satisfy the demand for traveling supporters by potentially increasing the away ticket allocation from 2,200 to 5,000.

"This increase will be achieved by extending the away section into blocks 123, 124 & (part of) 125 of the Family Stand and we apologise that this contingency may result in possible relocation for the fixture.

"Season ticket holders who are displaced from their normal Family Stand seats will be relocated in adjacent blocks or in excellent seats in Level 4 of the Ninian Stand."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:11 am

why sell season tickets for those blocks if the club intend extending the away end for anyone that requests it.?

Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:43 am

I have no problem with our Club offering Villa 5000 tickets but this should only be done on a reciprocal basis with pricing the same for both sets of visiting fans. I would not want to see us offering 5000 tickets to Villa or any other Club at 20 something quid and us being charged 30 something. It has to work both ways.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:57 am

TERRYB wrote:I have no problem with our Club offering Villa 5000 tickets but this should only be done on a reciprocal basis with pricing the same for both sets of visiting fans. I would not want to see us offering 5000 tickets to Villa or any other Club at 20 something quid and us being charged 30 something. It has to work both ways.

That's exactly how I see it :thumbright: :bluebird:

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:04 pm

The other thing to consider is the part of the ground housing away fans.

Looking at your website, the away section at Villa is probably equal to your zone 2 which means £26 at Cardiff, £30 at Villa - A difference of just £4. If the away fans were put in cheaper seats at Villa then the price would drop proportionately. Away fans at Villa pay no more than the home fans do for identical seats in home sections. Looking at the away fan location at Cardiff, they appear to be in the cheapest part of the ground, tucked away in a corner.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:08 pm

AV3 wrote:The other thing to consider is the part of the ground housing away fans.

Looking at your website, the away section at Villa is probably equal to your zone 2 which means £26 at Cardiff, £30 at Villa - A difference of just £4. If the away fans were put in cheaper seats at Villa then the price would drop proportionately. Away fans at Villa pay no more than the home fans do for identical seats in home sections. Looking at the away fan location at Cardiff, they appear to be in the cheapest part of the ground, tucked away in a corner.

location in the ground is a very good point and often ignored during price debates on here.