Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

How Do You Rate the Club's Summer Signings?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:12 am

Excellent
25%
Very good
42%
Good
25%
Average
6%
Poor
1%

Total votes : 79

Summer Transfer Business - POLL

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:12 am

With City's 7th signing completed how do you rate the clubs summer transfer business? (new signings)

Re: Summer Transfer Business - POLL

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:19 am

Very good would like another midfielder

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:29 am

With such a small budget given to Neil Warnock, I am more than happy, so excellent for me :thumbright: :thumbright: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:05 am

I think there will be at least 2 more additions before the season starts.

Also 4-5 out hmm

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:14 am

Good so far and will become very good if we've still got all of our key players come September

Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:15 am

For me I think it's been good but with Manga re-signed, I've gone for very good taking our budget into account.
Time will tell of course!

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:02 pm

Excellent.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:11 pm

In addition to Excellent transfer business - I really do think that NW has still got around £5-6m left out of the £8m budget he had.

So, for me, I wouldnt be surprised to see more coming in - even though he says he's done!

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:14 pm

Ive put very good as I still think we could do with a couple more players but appreciate we also need to get rid of quite a few. I think we have given our selves a fighting chance for next season that's for sure. Just hope it all clicks.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:00 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:In addition to Excellent transfer business - I really do think that NW has still got around £5-6m left out of the £8m budget he had.

So, for me, I wouldnt be surprised to see more coming in - even though he says he's done!

The money he had included wages so not much if anything left In IMO

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:25 pm

Very good - with 3/4 moving out and another winger I'd say excellent. But I'm very happy!

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:25 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:For me I think it's been good but with Manga re-signed, I've gone for very good taking our budget into account.

Exactly how I see it mate I've gone for very good also

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:44 pm

gwentbluebirds wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:For me I think it's been good but with Manga re-signed, I've gone for very good taking our budget into account.

Exactly how I see it mate I've gone for very good also

Great minds! ;)
:thumbup:

Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Paul Keevil wrote:In addition to Excellent transfer business - I really do think that NW has still got around £5-6m left out of the £8m budget he had.

I think the budget was 6 mil from what I've read and what's mostly been said on here and that would include wages so I'd say no way there's 5-6 mil left. Probably very little but hey - who knows for sure?
:?

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Patterson Ward and Tomlin were around 5 million in total + wages etc. So I believe him when he says he will only do ins with outs now.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:21 pm

Just thought I would add some thought to my comments above

What I have done is look at both the transfer fees involved and also the Wages that maybe involved.

Wages I have taken from FM17 (so they are not necessarily accurate - I accept that!) but it serves as a ball park.

Transfer Wages (PerWeek)

Etheridge Free £5,000
Camp Free £10,000

Paterson £400,000 £10,000
Ajayi Undiscl. -£2,000 Out
Oshilaja Undiscl. -£1,500 Out

Damour £500,000 £10,000 (£5000 in France)
Tomlin £2,9m £20,000 (£18000 at BC)
Huws -£1,5m -£8,000 Out

Mendez Laing Free £5,000
Whittingham Free -£20,000 Out
Ward £1,5m £10,000
Le Fondre Undiscl. -£17,500 Out
Lambert Free -£25,000 Out

£3.8m -£208,000

So assuming we did have a Transfer Fund of £8m.

We have spent (or allocated) around £3.8m towards Transfer Fees and look to have made a saving of around £208,000 per year in wages.

Fund £8,000,000
Transfers £3,800,000
Wages -£208,000

Available £4,408,000

Obviously, if our Transfer Fund was £6m, then we still have close on £2.5m left.

These are just my thoughts - Obviously happy to be shot down in flames - haha :ayatollah:

Apologies - it did look properly tabbed and readable before submitting

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:02 am

Paul Keevil wrote:Just thought I would add some thought to my comments above

What I have done is look at both the transfer fees involved and also the Wages that maybe involved.

Wages I have taken from FM17 (so they are not necessarily accurate - I accept that!) but it serves as a ball park.

Transfer Wages (PerWeek)

Etheridge Free £5,000
Camp Free £10,000

Huws -£1,5m -£8,000 Out

Mendez Laing Free £5,000
Ward £1,5m £10,000

£3.8m -£208,000

We have spent (or allocated) around £3.8m towards Transfer Fees and look to have made a saving of around £208,000 per year in wages.

Fund £8,000,000
Transfers £3,800,000
Wages -£208,000

Available £4,408,000

Obviously, if our Transfer Fund was £6m, then we still have close on £2.5m left.

These are just my thoughts - Obviously happy to be shot down in flames - haha :ayatollah:

nothing wrong with your adding and subtracting..
but if the figures you use are guesses so wil your answers/ conclusions be guesses...in almost 50 years ive only ever actually known for fact what 3 players earn..one happens to be on your list and your 11k a week out with your guess.

then theres this 6million.{ive never seen 8 mentioned }...was it 6 million just on transfer fees..or....6m to cover transfer fees plus signing on fees plus agents fees plus wages..or any combination of ...or a 6mill increase in the clubs total footballing budget for the season..?. because its possible to spend 6 million pound just by incresing contract lengths amounts paid along with the agents fees..and not sign a single player

you havent mention new contracts for out of contract players either..Manga in particular, out of contract so in effect a new signing on a free..but nothing is free in football. his agent would probably be wanting a signing on fee for him and of course his own fee...Hoilett and Harris likewise ..plus Zohores contract extension..how much did that cost.?

my own thoughts ..Warnock was pretty clear in saying.. thats it. other than if someone leaves.so i assume what ever was promised has been delivered and all the money is gone.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:16 am

agree..we could have lost 3 out of contract players who were involved with the 1st team more often than not.
have extended Zohores contract..which although it doesnt guarantee him staying does mean we will get much better compensation if he moves.
have only moved on players { some who i personally liked } who it was obvious the manager had little or no use for..
and brought in..?????????..well its always a case every year of you never know how they will turn out..

Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:52 am

I think he's done about as good as he could have done given the money available, and the competition from other clubs when a decent player becomes available. Not easy to persuade someone to come to a mid table side (last season anyway) in S Wales when a lot of young talent seem to be drawn to the bright lights of London and other big cities, particularly when we cannot compete financially with many of our competitors. I suppose we will find out just how good his transfer business was in a few months time.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:28 am

dogfound wrote:

Transfer Wages (PerWeek)

Etheridge Free £5,000
Camp Free £10,000

Huws -£1,5m -£8,000 Out

Mendez Laing Free £5,000
Ward £1,5m £10,000

£3.8m -£208,000

Fund £8,000,000
Transfers £3,800,000
Wages -£208,000

Available £4,408,000

but if the figures you use are guesses so wil your answers/ conclusions be guesses...in almost 50 years ive only ever actually known for fact what 3 players earn..one happens to be on your list and your 11k a week out with your guess.

then theres this 6million.{ive never seen 8 mentioned }...was it 6 million just on transfer fees..or....6m to cover transfer fees plus signing on fees plus agents fees plus wages..or any combination of ...or a 6mill increase in the clubs total footballing budget for the season..?. because its possible to spend 6 million pound just by incresing contract lengths amounts paid along with the agents fees..and not sign a single player

you havent mention new contracts for out of contract players either..Manga in particular, out of contract so in effect a new signing on a free..but nothing is free in football. his agent would probably be wanting a signing on fee for him and of course his own fee...Hoilett and Harris likewise ..plus Zohores contract extension..how much did that cost.?

my own thoughts ..Warnock was pretty clear in saying.. thats it. other than if someone leaves.so i assume what ever was promised has been delivered and all the money is gone.

Actually yes thats quite a good point. My Calculations did only start off as a bit of fun on an excel spreadsheet. But then, as the players started coming in and going out, you kinda wondered how much room there was for others.

7 Very good signings in my opinion - plus the re-signing of some very important players.

The most important thing is the feel good factor that is returning to the club.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:43 am

Can see nw doing some more business in the loan market. I rate the business done as very good.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:57 am

Paul Keevil wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Transfer Wages (PerWeek)

Etheridge Free £5,000
Camp Free £10,000

Huws -£1,5m -£8,000 Out

Mendez Laing Free £5,000
Ward £1,5m £10,000

£3.8m -£208,000

Fund £8,000,000
Transfers £3,800,000
Wages -£208,000

Available £4,408,000

Actually yes thats quite a good point. My Calculations did only start off as a bit of fun on an excel spreadsheet. But then, as the players started coming in and going out, you kinda wondered how much room there was for others.

7 Very good signings in my opinion - plus the re-signing of some very important players.

The most important thing is the feel good factor that is returning to the club.

football seems to have more and more hidden costs mate.
and this investment in my eyes was never clearly spelled out..
for me the new contracts and the Zohore extended contract was the best news..if any of the new boys work out its a bonus because so far they have only replaced players that would be bit part players.
fingers crossed there is no repeat of last year where we lost 2 keepers and fabio late in the window..