Cardiff City Forum

Switch to full style

A forum for all things Cardiff City
Post a reply

Striker Ross McCormack / off again to another club?

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:51 am

Championship: Ross McCormack off to Sunderland? B

Posted: July 16, 2017

By Kerry Ganly

Striker Ross McCormack has been linked with a move to Sunderland.

McCormack spent the end of last season on loan at Nottingham Forest after a public falling-out with Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce. He could, though, be about to join Simon Grayson with the Sunderland Echo reporting that the Black Cats have inquired about the availability of the Scottish forward.

Villa boss Bruce is willing to give McCormack another chance, though, while the player's market value and reportedly high wages could be a stumbling block.

Sunderland kick off their Championship season with a home game against Derby County. The game will be shown live on Sky Sports on Friday, August 4 (7.45pm).

Re: Striker Ross McCormack / off again to another club?

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:09 am

If he can get his head together will be a great signing for someone.....unfortunately he has shown no sign whatsoever of maturing and cutting out his nonsense..in fact he just seems to be getting worse

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:37 am

I thought that he started last season quite well and was a bit unlucky in front of goal but as soon as Bruce arrived, he didn't get a look in. He also had off field matrimonial problems that distracted him.

In fairness, he's come back this summer looking a lot leaner and seems very hungry. i watched him play in the week and he played very well, possibly the best player in the team. He played again yesterday but was disappointing (not more than any other player though)

Personally, I would let go for around £5/£6 million and take it on the chin as he will not be starting when there is a full squad to pick from £50k a week is too much of a luxury for a substitute

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:56 am

AV3 noticed shrewsbury beat you 2-1 yesterday in a pre season friendly . did JT play ?

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:02 am

MOZZER1 wrote:AV3 noticed shrewsbury beat you 2-1 yesterday in a pre season friendly . did JT play ?

Yes mate - He did very well. Villa made 8 substitutions on 60 minutes including changing the entire back 4 and it all went a bit downhill from that point.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:08 am

AV3 wrote:I thought that he started last season quite well and was a bit unlucky in front of goal but as soon as Bruce arrived, he didn't get a look in. He also had off field matrimonial problems that distracted him.

In fairness, he's come back this summer looking a lot leaner and seems very hungry. i watched him play in the week and he played very well, possibly the best player in the team. He played again yesterday but was disappointing (not more than any other player though)

Personally, I would let go for around £5/£6 million and take it on the chin as he will not be starting when there is a full squad to pick from £50k a week is too much of a luxury for a substitute

I also noticed he had a hell of a lot of trouble with his electric gates and just couldn't find a way through them. :lol:
;)

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:06 pm

AV3 wrote:I thought that he started last season quite well and was a bit unlucky in front of goal but as soon as Bruce arrived, he didn't get a look in. He also had off field matrimonial problems that distracted him.

The problem with that is that nobody will give you £5/£6m for him given his recent problems, let alone pay him £50k per week, in which case he's likely to be earning that money off Villa for some time to come.

A mad signing for that money in the first place.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:18 pm

piledriver64 wrote:

The problem with that is that nobody will give you £5/£6m for him given his recent problems, let alone pay him £50k per week, in which case he's likely to be earning that money off Villa for some time to come.

A mad signing for that money in the first place.

Maybe, maybe not.

If nobody signs him, it will be to do with his performances on the pitch, NOT because he didn't turn up for training, which is hardly the crime of the century.

There is always a team out there ready to take a gamble on a player - Ravel Morrison being a classic example.

Leeds have just offered exactly the same amount for a central defender. Sunderland have parachute payments, their manager has worked with McCormack before and they are likely going to receive a good few quid in sales, on top of the £30 million they received for Pickford. I know they have a budget but it's not beyond the realms of possibility for them (or someone else) to pay £5/£6 million for a striker who has regularly hit 20+ league goals a season. Is it any more of a gamble than paying double that amount for Zohore?

As for it being stupid money, that is easy to say in hindsight. A similar amount was paid for Kodjia and the exact opposite is being said.

The problem is, McCormack was bought by another manager so it is easy for Bruce to drop him. Bruce bought Scott Hogan who has scored just once since January and contributed very little, for a similar fee. Bruce is under pressure to play him to justify the signing whereas it could be that McCormack is the better partner for Kodjia.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:21 pm

If this works out - I can see this being a good move for him.
Post a reply