Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" NEW SIGNING SCORES TWO AS CARDIFF CITY WIN "

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Wednesday 19th July 2017

By Dominic Booth

If some doubted how worthwhile a pre-season tour of Devon and Cornwall might prove for Cardiff City this summer, in 45 minutes a tigerish Bodmin Town showed how difficult these friendlies can be.

The Black and Ambers played like they were another side of that nickname, Newport County; for a half, at least, mustering more than a fair fight as if playing against their biggest rivals.

The second stop on this Warnock-devised mystery tour was a cup final for Bodmin, as the Bluebirds delved deeper into Cornwall in search of fitness and form.

After Monday night’s 7-2 victory at AFC Tavistock another rout was anticipated.

And though the Bluebirds rallied to give a comfortable feel to the scoreline by the end, they were made to work hard for it.

IMG_2080.JPG

Bodmin finished two places below Devon-based rivals Tavistock in the South West Peninsula League last season, but proved much tougher opposition for this Cardiff side, clearly still finding its feet. It was 1-1 at half time.

There was a slightly farcical beginning to proceedings on a dank Wednesday night when the Cardiff City bus proved too big to fit into the Bodmin car-park. But perhaps Warnock would have been happy to see his mega-stars forced to walk through the local fields, stopping for autographs, to enter the ground.

There was a healthy Cardiff contingent in the crowd too, with players and fans again mingling merrily all evening.

Those Cardiff fans were rewarded with a first look at the impressive Lee Tomlin, who – intriguingly – was handed the famous No.7 shirt, previously worn by legend Peter Whittingham, and lived up to the billing with a classy first half display.

There was also a first look at the Bluebirds’ new fluorescent green kit, a necessary garment as visibility got worse when the Cornish mist and rain rolled in.

IMG_2081.JPG

Loic Damour’s thunderbolt lit up the game further after 10 minutes, the Frenchman breaking his Bluebirds duck with a 20-yard strike that almost broke the net.

Yet Cardiff were pegged back 21 minutes later, again conceding a soft penalty – as they did at Tavistock – which Bodmin striker Ben Watson duly converted, chipping it beyond the reach of goalkeeper Neil Etheridge.

Warnock’s speech won’t have been strong, or stretched, at the break. But there was a schism between the Bluebirds’ attractive build-up play and their wasteful finishing in that opening period.

Tomlin registered a beguiling performance in the No.10 role, a position Cardiff have been so desperate to fill for the past season or two. In that, there was hope.

Because while the former Bristol City star wasn’t at his best, some of his touches oozed quality, confusing defenders and deftly linking the Cardiff play. One magical run in the first half almost beat the whole Bodmin team, yet Tomlin – like his teammates – couldn’t quite apply the finish.

The Bluebirds were guilty of profligacy throughout the first half. It’s a trait Warnock will hope to eradicate before the season begins. You can just imagine the Bluebirds’ first league opponents, Burton Albion, revelling in a backs-to-the-wall job on August 5. If Cardiff can't hit the heights in the final third, they’ll struggle.

But football is a strange game and the Bluebirds made it seem like a different game at times in the second half, Warnock’s words echoing in their ears, if not ringing.

Damour’s clinical second eventually took the Bluebirds back into the lead on 51 minutes, the Frenchman coolly slotting home Danny Ward’s square ball after a flowing move initiated by the lively Joe Bennett at left-back.

IMG_2082.JPG

And Ward again played a big part in Cardiff’s third, crossing deep from the left where half-time substitute Kenneth Zohore was waiting to nod into the net. The former Rotherham man is still searching for his first Cardiff goal after three pre-season games but operated effectively from out wide.

Matty Kennedy will also feel his name should have appeared on the scoresheet after his blockbuster strike cannoned off the woodwork – as did Zohore’s deflected rebound.

But the Bluebirds’ pressure continued throughout a one-sided second half. They couldn’t muster a fourth but the winning-margin could have been much bigger. Worthwhile? You bet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " NEW SIGNING SCORES TWO AS CARDIFF CITY WIN "

Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:17 pm

I honestly think we have a gem in this guy, I was really impressed with his YouTube vid with his tackling/passing game and he got goals in him too. :ayatollah:

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:41 am

:ayatollah: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:00 am

:ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:02 am

Dahboy wrote:I honestly think we have a gem in this guy, I was really impressed with his YouTube vid with his tackling/passing game and he got goals in him too. :ayatollah:

Loic Damour has a blistering shot on him it would seem. Just before scoring that pile-driver he had poleaxed one of their players with a shot that looked on target and still had so much venom left in it that the ball ballooned 20 yards beyond the stricken Bodmin player and over the crossbar for a corner.

.... and that goal was another thunderous shot!

Yup, Loic Damour is certainly looking good so far. :thumbright:

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:36 am

Dahboy wrote:I honestly think we have a gem in this guy, I was really impressed with his YouTube vid with his tackling/passing game and he got goals in him too. :ayatollah:

Can you tell me how Danny Ward played,he had a full 90 minute run out I understand

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:25 am

I was there last night and Ward looked much better as a wide player of a front 3. He struggled first half as a number 9. Second half he played as a wide 3 with Kennedy and looked much better. Put a great ball in for Zahores goal.

Kennedy ran his socks off but the end product just didn't come off. You couldn't help but be impressed by his effort. Bennett looked class throughout. Mendez Lang looks like he's got a lot of ability and Damour looks like a tidy player who can either play as a sitter or a box to box midfielder. All that said obviously you've got to take the level of opposition into account.

The thing that stood out for me is that Zahore is priceless for us and there's no one in the squad that can fill his boots

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Nickoblue23 wrote:I was there last night and Ward looked much better as a wide player of a front 3. He struggled first half as a number 9. Second half he played as a wide 3 with Kennedy and looked much better. Put a great ball in for Zahores goal.

Kennedy ran his socks off but the end product just didn't come off. You couldn't help but be impressed by his effort. Bennett looked class throughout. Mendez Lang looks like he's got a lot of ability and Damour looks like a tidy player who can either play as a sitter or a box to box midfielder. All that said obviously you've got to take the level of opposition into account.

The thing that stood out for me is that Zahore is priceless for us and there's no one in the squad that can fill his boots

I take your point about Zahore completely and it does concern me that if Zahore gets a long term injury who is going to score us goals,it's starting to look like Ward won't be the answer.....anyway thank you for your feedback,much appreciated

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:51 pm

angelis1949 wrote:
Nickoblue23 wrote:I was there last night and Ward looked much better as a wide player of a front 3. He struggled first half as a number 9. Second half he played as a wide 3 with Kennedy and looked much better. Put a great ball in for Zahores goal.

I take your point about Zahore completely and it does concern me that if Zahore gets a long term injury who is going to score us goals,it's starting to look like Ward won't be the answer.....anyway thank you for your feedback,much appreciated

Oh c'mon! Don't be so premature in your judgement.