" CARDIFF CITY FOOTBALL CLUB TO BE SOLD? "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby worcester_ccfc » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Cardiff EXCLUSIVE: Vincent Tan ready to sell Championship club for £30m

VINCENT TAN is ready to sell Cardiff for £30m, seven years after taking over the Championship club

IMG_2083.JPG
IMG_2083.JPG (39.92 KiB) Viewed 9841 times

Wednesday 19th July 2017

By David Woods

VINCENT TAN is ready to sell Cardiff for £30m, seven years after taking over the Championship club.

A 32-page brochure seen by Starsport has been prepared by London-based WMG Advisors for potential investors.

It states: “Opportunity exists to invest in English football market though acquisition of Cardiff City Football Club, a professional football team playing in the EFL Championship.

“The club was acquired by Vincent Tan in 2010, whose support enabled the club to develop and be promoted to the Premier League in 2013/14 – total investment in excess of £130m.”

In March, Tan denied he was actively looking to sell Cardiff, but he did add: “If I am offered the right price, I will certainly consider.

“I have always publicly said that except for my family, all my businesses are for sale at the right price. I do not fall in love with my businesses.”
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " CARDIFF CITY FOOTBALL CLUB TO BE SOLD? "

Postby Penyfai Blue » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:24 pm

Not sure how I feel about this. I hated the re-brand and went on all the marches and demos but Tan has shown lately that he's learning from his mistakes and seems to be running our club properly.

As the saying goes "better the devil you know"
Penyfai Blue

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:49 pm

This as always been the case so nothing new! But judging by the general opinion of this forum people don't care who takes over as long as tan goes! Just hope no-one complains if any new owners don't come upto expectations! :old:
Ps doubt if this as any legs as all Been said before. :o
pembroke allan

Postby Pulisnewport » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:09 pm

Hmmm VT will accept 30m after putting in in excess of 130m, numbers don't stack up and as he said all his businesses have a price?? Not great business this one.

On the other hand NW stating VT was excited for this season and getting promotion, don't believe for one minute he told NW that as he would have walked.

Hope it's not this site looking for more hits to outdo the other one????
Pulisnewport

Postby lyndipops » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:13 pm

Penyfai Blue wrote:Not sure how I feel about this. I hated the re-brand and went on all the marches and demos but Tan has shown lately that he's learning from his mistakes and seems to be running our club properly.

As the saying goes "better the devil you know"

Very true, I think another phrase springs to mind. "Be careful what you wish for!" :?
"For an idea that does not first seem insane, there is no hope."

Albert Einstein
lyndipops

Postby dogfound » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:20 pm

pembroke allan wrote:This as always been the case so nothing new! But judging by the general opinion of this forum people don't care who takes over as long as tan goes! Just hope no-one complains if any new owners don't come upto expectations! :old:

i think if true this is a bit different..
a rumour is one thing a 32 page broshure another alltogether..
WMG advisors is a dalman company btw..
dogfound

Postby theclaw » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:52 pm

pembroke allan wrote:This as always been the case so nothing new! But judging by the general opinion of this forum people don't care who takes over as long as tan goes! Just hope no-one complains if any new owners don't come upto expectations! :old:

:thumbup:
theclaw

Postby fred keenor » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:29 am

Club statement needed QUICKLY.
If the brochure was only recently published ,what is going on?
fred keenor

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:02 am

I've always said Vincent Tan wants out ASAP.

But he needed to reduce the beyond debt he built up during his seven plus years in total control,now that we are finally getting it reduced drastically, there is now of course a chance to find a buyer and hopefully find someone who might actually care for Cardiff City and its proud fan base :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

20th July 2017

WalesOnline has been told the document, which has existed for nine months, is intended in the main to attract worldwide sponsorship and advertising. It is sent out in the form of a presentation to potential clients.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby bluebird7291 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:14 am

We get the same story every season. It's getting a bit boring now
bluebird7291

Postby Sven » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:28 am

fred keenor wrote:Club statement needed QUICKLY.
If the brochure was only recently published ,what is going on?

Agree with this; a club/Tan statement is needed very quickly! :thumbup:

Until that is done (or the document is published) we should treat this, as with all things Cardiff City FC, with some scepticism; although there will be many on here who will actively celebrate even the thought that the Tan era may be coming to a close.

But do we need to be careful what we wish for?

Tan was rightly vilified for his decision to turn the shirt red but on balance he has stabilised and improved the club financially and brought more in than he has taken out, so we need to be a little considered before the street parties (for some) begin.

In my view, Tan has learned from his (apparent) mistakes and we need to remember that many of those were heavily influenced by people around him as he learned the idiosyncracies of running a football club. The club are now becoming a far more stable outfit, have a fantastic manager (probably our best for many a year) and he is being backed by the owner so far as he can be to the point we are paying out for players and turning down multi-million pound overs for players who would have been sold for a lot less (and in some cases possibly for free) this time last year!

It has been suggested elsewhere that the document isn't new, so it may be that it was produced 'in readiness but not for publication' as Tan considers his options. However, several people (including our own Forever Blue) have always vehemently maintained that Tan wants out of the club, so there may well be mileage in the article.

Only time or a definitive statement will confirm but, as stated in another post above, we just need to be a little careful of what we wish for for the future given the progress we have made in the last twelve months and what we've seen happen at other clubs in our position in recent times! ;) :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby piledriver64 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:53 am

£30m really !!??

Given that Warnock says Zohore is worth £20m I think this is bollocks.

I also agree with those comments along the lines of "be careful what you wish for".

I think if Tan really does want rid then he's much more likely to wait to see if Warnock gets us anywhere near the Prem this season, because then for anyone buying the club £30m would be a mere pipe dream!!

Like him or loathe him Tan is a business man and not stupid.
piledriver64

Postby thomasblue » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:02 am

I dont understand why people want vincent tan to sell up ?

He is acting as a very good owner recently and is more than making up for his one mistake.

1. He is drastically reducing the debt and has finally got rid of all historical issues like sam

2. He has hired the best manager in the league and is backing him for a promotion push

3. He has swallowed his pride, admitted he made a mistake and given the fans pretty much everything we asked for regarding the rebrand.

4. Season tickets are the cheapest theyve been for years

5. He refuses to sell our best players when bids come in for them

Actually forget all that lets get someone else like the venkys because we will be much better off with people we dont know.

There is a good arguement to say that tan is possibly the best owner we have ever had . And thats coming from someone who hated the rebrand
thomasblue

Postby mallo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:16 am

£30 million is very cheap
Mallo

Will Always be blue !
mallo

Postby PaulCCFC » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:16 am

I completely agree with this Thomasblue, look at Bolton, Coventry, Blackburn, Portsmouth..... there are far far worse owners out there. With Warnock at the helm Tan has been nothing but supportive, and the best owner in Cardiff have had, we have had some real shockers over the years!!!
PaulCCFC

Postby bluebird7291 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:47 am

It's obviously fake news! It come from the daily star.
They do the same story at the beginning of every season
bluebird7291

Postby Steve Zodiak » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:54 am

Putting something up for sale and actually being able to sell it are two different things. You have to be slightly mad to invest a football club.
I am sure Tan would sell if the price is right. We know he knew nothing about football before he bought this club. He has no links to Wales, and I am sure he has no great love towards this city. Why would someone who lives half way around the world not sell up if he could get what he considers to be a fair price. I am one of those who always believed that he would cut his losses and run as soon as he possibly could.
Having said that, I take most of what I read in the press with a big pinch of salt, particularly when it is in papers like The Sun or The Star. Probably has a 10% chance of being an accurate report.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:57 am

Reply from Facebook

Nigel Harris
The reason why is easy? No parachute money after this season, he is not getting younger and he has lost interest in City. Doubt it is a new story, he has been looking to exit for a while undoubtedly.
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Llantwit Blue » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:03 am

No ties to Wales he's just opening the Aston Martin car plant in ST Athan.

P.S did notice NW Aston Martin last night at Bodmin not bad work if you can get it.

As for selling the club, every club has its price and Cardiff City are no different, But for 30 Million then we won't be short of takers, why not buy the club flog big Ken and you would have half your money back.
Llantwit Blue

Postby Steve Zodiak » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:10 am

Llantwit Blue wrote:No ties to Wales he's just opening the Aston Martin car plant in ST Athan.

P.S did notice NW Aston Martin last night at Bodmin not bad work if you can get it.

As for selling the club, every club has its price and Cardiff City are no different, But for 30 Million then we won't be short of takers, why not buy the club flog big Ken and you would have half your money back.

Because you still have your running costs after selling off your better players, and Cardiff tend to be run at a loss every year. If you are looking for a good business venture that is going to result in making pots of money, a football club is not likely to be high on your list.
Steve Zodiak

Postby old_man » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:34 am

If there is any truth in this, the new owners would be buying the club as a going concern including any debts. The club has outstanding loans to VT so he wouldn't be out of pocket as the payments to him would continue regardless of who the owner is.
old_man

Postby wez1927 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:38 am

old_man wrote:If there is any truth in this, the new owners would be buying the club as a going concern including any debts. The club has outstanding loans to VT so he wouldn't be out of pocket as the payments to him would continue regardless of who the owner is.

Your right the 30 million would be for his shares only
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby RhiwEbbwBluebird » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:49 am

Maybe a mega rich chinese or arab businessman will realise the massive potential cardiff city has, capital city of wales,thriving city,massive fan accatchment area.

With backing from mega rich chinese or arabs this club could hit big heights in my opinion.

The debt still here is a massive put off for anyone who thought about buying cardiff though
RhiwEbbwBluebird

Postby Steve Zodiak » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:15 am

RhiwEbbwBluebird wrote:Maybe a mega rich chinese or arab businessman will realise the massive potential cardiff city has, capital city of wales,thriving city,massive fan accatchment area.

With backing from mega rich chinese or arabs this club could hit big heights in my opinion.

The debt still here is a massive put off for anyone who thought about buying cardiff though

We have had this massive potential for the 50 years I have followed us. Never ever came to anything.
Steve Zodiak

Postby Jules » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:18 am

thomasblue wrote:I dont understand why people want vincent tan to sell up ?

He is acting as a very good owner recently and is more than making up for his one mistake.

1. He is drastically reducing the debt and has finally got rid of all historical issues like sam

2. He has hired the best manager in the league and is backing him for a promotion push

3. He has swallowed his pride, admitted he made a mistake and given the fans pretty much everything we asked for regarding the rebrand.

Actually forget all that lets get someone else like the venkys because we will be much better off with people we dont know.

There is a good arguement to say that tan is possibly the best owner we have ever had . And thats coming from someone who hated the rebrand

What a top post :thumbup:

need to be careful what I say though as i'll get called a Red/Tan lover :laughing6: but some will be getting the champagne out.

IMHO.............. its bullshit. Daily Fail !!!
Keeping the Faith since '74.
Jules

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:27 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
RhiwEbbwBluebird wrote:Maybe a mega rich chinese or arab businessman will realise the massive potential cardiff city has, capital city of wales,thriving city,massive fan accatchment area.

We have had this massive potential for the 50 years I have followed us. Never ever came to anything.

Very true Steve...forgetting the rebrand nonsense the last 10 years have been the most successful in the clubs entire history...still only average 15,000 attendance though....so how much actual potential is there...probably not as much as people think!!!
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby Wayne S » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:06 am

Cardiff City issue strong reaction to fresh reports Vincent Tan is actively trying to sell the club for just £30m

Reports claim a 32-page document has been drawn up to try and sell Cardiff City

20 JUL 2017

Cardiff City have dismissed fresh reports claiming owner Vincent Tan is ready to sell the club for £30m.

A report in the Daily Star reveals a 32-page brochure has been put together by London-based WMG Advisors - a company founded by Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman.

The story follows similar reports back in the spring stating that Tan was ready to sell the Bluebirds, which the Malaysian went public in denying at the time.

WalesOnline has been told the document, which has existed for nine months, is intended in the main to attract worldwide sponsorship and advertising. It is sent out in the form of a presentation to potential clients.

Tan has always stated he will consider cashing in on every one of his businesses at the right price. However, after his £130m-plus investment in the club, Tan is more likely to want a figure closer to £100m than £30m to dispose of his majority shareholding in the Bluebirds.
Wayne S

Postby nubbsy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:17 am

Absolutely nothing new here. He made these statements months ago and it was discussed on this forum.
nubbsy

Postby bluebird58 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:46 am

Every club is for sale at the right price all of the time. No news here. Ultimately I don't care who owns the club. Apart from the red kit incident ( and ultimately that was a lot less important than some people like to make out) Mr Tan has done a good job with the club, gradually dragging it into the 21st century. We could have had owners like Blackpool, Coventry, Charlton, Orient, Blackburn, or any number of others who are worse than him. The club is in a healthier state than most, and Vincent Tan is a large part of the reason behind that.
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:02 am

thomasblue wrote:I dont understand why people want vincent tan to sell up ?

Regardless of whether this news is true or not, this is a great post.
I hated the rebrand with a passion, went on the marches, wore the t-shirts, etc but I'm over it now.
I hope Tan stays because as others have pointed out, it could be a lot worse.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Next

Return to General Chat