Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" WARNOCK: KENNETH ZOHORE NOT CARDIFF CITY'S LONE THREAT "

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:36 pm

Friday 21st July 2017

By Dominic Booth

Neil Warnock believes adding Lee Tomlin and others to his squad means Cardiff City will score a hatful of goals in the coming season.

Tomlin and star striker Kenneth Zohore linked up for the first time in the Bluebirds 1-0 pre-season friendly victory over Plymouth Argyle at Home Park.

And Warnock believes Tomlin can replace the goals Cardiff will miss after Peter Whittingham’s departure.

He then laid down a marker to the Bluebirds’ other midfield and wide players, challenging them all to contribute goals in Warnock’s potential promotion push.

“We always thought we’d need another midfield player, but in signing Tomlin we’ve got – not another Peter Whittingham – but someone who can unlock the doors,” said Warnock after watching the former Bristol City ace register a sublime second half performance that helped Cardiff claim victory.

IMG_2087.JPG

Tomlin looked comfortable in the No.10 position and, three minutes after coming on as a half-time substitute, smartly slipped through a quickly-taken free-kick to Zohore for the game’s only goal.

And Warnock believes the burden of goals will be on the whole team – not just Zohore – over the course of 46 games next season.

He added: “Because Whitts made so many contributions with free-kicks and things, it’s hard to lose goals like that. And that’s another reason I’m glad (Sean) Morrison is staying because there’s six or seven goals in him each year.

“We’ve got to get more goals. I think Ken is likely to score more goals, I think Mendez(-Laing) can, I think Kadeem (Harris) can as well. We’ve got a good mix at the moment.”

IMG_2088.JPG

Reflecting on a week that has seen all the first team squad, barring the injured Anthony Pilkington, Lee Camp and Callum Paterson - and out-of-favour trio Craig Noone, Stuart O’Keefe and Frederic Goungonbe - get valuable game time, Warnock was delighted.

“We’ve got Jazz back, that’s his first game,” he added. “Peltier back as well so we’ve got the lads fit. If I could just touch wood now… we’ve done really well, we’ve had one or two knocks but got through.

“I didn’t think Tomlin would play tonight because he was struggling but tonight he’s come through the game. The physios have done a good job and he managed to play half a game.

“We’re on our way home now after a very good week, exactly what we wanted. And just two games left and into the real McCoy.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " WARNOCK: KENNETH ZOHORE NOT CARDIFF CITY'S LONE THREAT

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:44 pm

I still hope Big NW can sign two lads who can fill the gap if Zo or Tomlin get crocked otherwise we will end up looking toothless again with nothing creative in the middle and nothing chasing up top

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:08 am

I'm sorry but we really do need another out and out striker at the club. because over a grueling 46 game season at some point Zohore is going to get either injured or will go through a dry patch, and it does happen, and we need someone who can replace him if either does happen. the only other options we have is Danny Ward who I do not believe can play that out and out striker position and has already proved that he is better on the wing, and Gounongbe who hopefully will be leaving as he is pure s***. hopefully Neil realizes this and goes and gets someone on loan maybe Sam Gallagher or someone similar. But we need someone as we look short up front atm.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:31 am

Bluebird Warrior wrote:I'm sorry but we really do need another out and out striker at the club. because over a grueling 46 game season at some point Zohore is going to get either injured or will go through a dry patch, and it does happen, and we need someone who can replace him if either does happen. the only other options we have is Danny Ward who I do not believe can play that out and out striker position and has already proved that he is better on the wing, and Gounongbe who hopefully will be leaving as he is pure s***. hopefully Neil realizes this and goes and gets someone on loan maybe Sam Gallagher or someone similar. But we need someone as we look short up front atm.

I sort of agree that we need another striker but not Sam Gallagher as he would need to play every week and not just come in if Zahore gets injured or goes through 'a dry patch'.
Two out and out strikers to start games in the championship is not Warnocks way or many other teams theses days.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:40 am

Rhys Healy will get some game time later this season, he was looking like a good player before he got injured.

Pretty sure we will get a areplacemnt for Saadi also ....

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:39 am

Bluebird Warrior wrote:I'm sorry but we really do need another out and out striker at the club. because over a grueling 46 game season at some point Zohore is going to get either injured or will go through a dry patch, and it does happen, and we need someone who can replace him if either does happen. the only other options we have is Danny Ward who I do not believe can play that out and out striker position and has already proved that he is better on the wing, and Gounongbe who hopefully will be leaving as he is pure s***. hopefully Neil realizes this and goes and gets someone on loan maybe Sam Gallagher or someone similar. But we need someone as we look short up front atm.

I agree but the problem with a loan is that their clubs don't want them sitting on the bench so that could be difficult as we play 1 out and out striker more often than not!

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:17 am

nubbsy wrote:

I agree but the problem with a loan is that their clubs don't want them sitting on the bench so that could be difficult as we play 1 out and out striker more often than not!

That's the problem with loan players....signing Daryl Murphy for £2 million would have been idea(if there is any money left in the pot)l...been there and done it at Championship level, but he's just gone to Forest

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:22 am

Bluebina wrote:Rhys Healy will get some game time later this season, he was looking like a good player before he got injured.

Pretty sure we will get a areplacemnt for Saadi also ....

No point including him this season, he's due back October. So it's going to take him atleast a month to get match fit, possibly longer.
he will miss over half the season.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:32 am

Blue_Barber wrote:I still hope Big NW can sign two lads who can fill the gap if Zo or Tomlin get crocked otherwise we will end up looking toothless again with nothing creative in the middle and nothing chasing up top

I think Warnock has closed his mind as to bringing in new players,he is already on record saying he thinks he has enough players who can share the goalscoring with Zahore guess we will soon find out if Warnock is right

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:47 am

I still think we will bring in another striker. Warnock said before he wanted 2 more forward players before he brought in Tomlin. He has also said we would only look to sign players if we sold someone.

well I'm assuming he still feels we need another and we have now sole someone for a fee. i think once players like Noone and Pilks are gone he will look to bring someone in. i guess he has to wait to get rid of them before knowing how much he has to use wages wise and that's will depend on the type of striker.

also could be playing it down so teams ain't pushing up transfer fees or agents with wages.

I'd be surprised if we didn't bring in another striker as we seem very light weight if Zohore ever got injured for a considerable time.