Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

New striker needed

Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Anyone else think we definitely need a new striker?

With saddi now gone zohore and ward for the whole season I don't think will be enough.

We don't even have cover for them at the moment so I'm hoping he brings another striker in.

Re: New striker needed

Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:47 pm

BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:Anyone else think we definitely need a new striker?

With saddi now gone zohore and ward for the whole season I don't think will be enough.

We don't even have cover for them at the moment so I'm hoping he brings another striker in.

No brainer for me but who ?

Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:52 pm

oxfordblue wrote:

I'd be happy for a loan signing but zohore and ward only having 2 strikers for the season doesn't seem enough imo

Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:36 pm

BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:
oxfordblue wrote:

I'd be happy for a loan signing but zohore and ward only having 2 strikers for the season doesn't seem enough imo

Warnock says he's happy with his squad and has no plans to bring anyone else in (unless the club gets an offer they can't refuse for a first team player). Of course he could be playing the media, agents and other clubs. He's been around the block so many times that 'football politics' is second nature.

On paper we have 6 forwards (according to the club website): Ken Zohore, Jamie Ward, Fred Guonongbe, Rhys Heeley, Ibrahim Meite and Lee Tomlin (with Hoilett and Pilkington able to fill in as a second striker at a stretch). Meite and Heeley are squad players at best, unless they develop very quickly, and Fred is a complete mystery. He might become the next Zohore, but is more likely to be the next Saadi.

Looking at that lot I can see major problems if we get a few injuries or suspensions. I hope Warnock does bring in another striker, even if only a loan. A Tammy Abraham type loan would be excellent. I imagine a loan fee could be afforded, but any player like that would not come to sit on the bench.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:12 pm

jon1959 wrote:
BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:
oxfordblue wrote:

Warnock says he's happy with his squad and has no plans to bring anyone else in (unless the club gets an offer they can't refuse for a first team player). Of course he could be playing the media, agents and other clubs. He's been around the block so many times that 'football politics' is second nature.

On paper we have 6 forwards (according to the club website): Ken Zohore, Jamie Ward, Fred Guonongbe, Rhys Heeley, Ibrahim Meite and Lee Tomlin (with Hoilett and Pilkington able to fill in as a second striker at a stretch). Meite and Heeley are squad players at best, unless they develop very quickly, and Fred is a complete mystery. He might become the next Zohore, but is more likely to be the next Saadi.

Looking at that lot I can see major problems if we get a few injuries or suspensions. I hope Warnock does bring in another striker, even if only a loan. A Tammy Abraham type loan would be excellent. I imagine a loan fee could be afforded, but any player like that would not come to sit on the bench.

Agree mate I don't see Fred doing anything as he's not even part of the pre season, healey is still a few months off any minutes of football, tomlin isn't a striker more of the free role in the middle of the pitch and meite seems like he's not ready for first team football at the moment so if zohore or ward get injured we don't have very good back up:

I think a loan signing would be ideal from a prem club for the season.

Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:35 pm

Whilst we probably do need an extra striker firstly he needs to be championship ready and if that's the case will he be happy to be on bench as Ken is 1st choice and cannot see NW playing 2 up front unless we are losing!

Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:58 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Whilst we probably do need an extra striker firstly he needs to be championship ready and if that's the case will he be happy to be on bench as Ken is 1st choice and cannot see NW playing 2 up front unless we are losing!

I personally think he'll be going for ward and zohore first game of the season he hasn't bought ward to sit on the bench

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:02 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Whilst we probably do need an extra striker firstly he needs to be championship ready and if that's the case will he be happy to be on bench as Ken is 1st choice and cannot see NW playing 2 up front unless we are losing!

That's it problem is the prem lonees are expected to be played!

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:08 pm

I think Ward will be played wide. He was again most effective there yesterday. Tomlin will be the number 10

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:22 pm

nubbsy wrote:

That's it problem is the prem lonees are expected to be played!

Think the situation will be reviewed coming up to January window! If city in with chance then can see NW wanting backup in case of injuries happening.