First timer

A forum for all things Cardiff City

First timer

Postby rossblue » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:01 am

Hi guys, my name is Ben, I live in Ross on Wye, I suppose as a kid I supported Liverpool but didn't go to watch them as it was just unrealistic and too far to travel. Now I'm 26 and from September il be at uni which is only half hr from Cardiff and my workplace the same. So from next week I'm going to start watching the blue birds. Can anyone please recommend me the best place to park and eat before games please, especially weekday games. Cheers guys. I hope to become a fan along with my young boys who il be bringing to games with me.
rossblue

First timer

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: First timer

Postby eddiep » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:54 am

Hi Ross

I'd always say the Canton area - if you are early - 1.5 to 2 hours before the game there are a couple of free car parks behind the main road in Canton.
Pubs for food that you can take kids into too. (loads of pubs).

Coming from your direction, you may take 2 ways into Cardiff
1 - going right around Cardiff on M4 to Cardiff west junction leads you to the loop road ( A232 I think) going straight to the Stadium - there is a pub outside the stadium plus KFC and McD.

Opposite there is a car park with retail and shops like Smyths/Asda/Next etc - there is Greggs and Costs Coffee at that part.

2 - If you come into Cardiff from A48 - you could go to Cardiff Bay first for a bite and drink - then on to the road ( A232 I think) to go to the stadium.

:bluescarf:
you reap what you sow
eddiep

Postby dogfound » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:56 am

rossblue wrote:Hi guys, my name is Ben, I live in Ross on Wye, I suppose as a kid I supported Liverpool but didn't go to watch them as it was just unrealistic and too far to travel. Now I'm 26 and from September il be at uni which is only half hr from Cardiff and my workplace the same. So from next week I'm going to start watching the blue birds. Can anyone please recommend me the best place to park and eat before games please, especially weekday games. Cheers guys. I hope to become a fan along with my young boys who il be bringing to games with me.

for a first time id park in the club car park.. the sand martin does food and there are also KFC ,Mcdonalds Greggs and even Asdas cafe all handy for food. ..maybe get there early and go for a walk around and explore altrnatives..ive been going for nearly 50 years and still change what i do where i park pre game.
dogfound

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:58 am

rossblue wrote:Hi guys, my name is Ben, I live in Ross on Wye, I suppose as a kid I supported Liverpool but didn't go to watch them as it was just unrealistic and too far to travel. Now I'm 26 and from September il be at uni which is only half hr from Cardiff and my workplace the same. So from next week I'm going to start watching the blue birds. Can anyone please recommend me the best place to park and eat before games please, especially weekday games. Cheers guys. I hope to become a fan along with my young boys who il be bringing to games with me.

Nightmare for parkin but try down by the GOL centre if you get there early enough :bluebird:
You'll get the addiction to Cardiff soon!
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby dogfound » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:08 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:

Nightmare for parkin but try down by the GOL centre if you get there early enough :bluebird:
You'll get the addiction to Cardiff soon!

always seems to be room there and you get the refund voucher.. down side is if you cant run to the car like Usain Bolt after the game to beat the traffic you can be stuck at the top end of Lawrenny ave for ages.
i have parked there and no doubt will again but not if i have somewhere to be after the game..
dogfound

Postby rossblue » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:14 am

Iv bought tickets for me and my boys for the Portsmouth and villa games. Can I ask what the canton area is please??? If it's free parking that would be great for us. I'm coming from Ross on Wye so the road is m4 and a48. Cheers guys.
rossblue

Postby BlueDredd » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:23 am

rossblue wrote:Iv bought tickets for me and my boys for the Portsmouth and villa games. Can I ask what the canton area is please??? If it's free parking that would be great for us. I'm coming from Ross on Wye so the road is m4 and a48. Cheers guys.

I've always parked in the retail/ Asda car park behind the ground. They used to have signs up to say you couldn't park there on Match days (which didn't stop me, and I never once had a ticket over all the years attending the CCS) - but now they've removed the signs. So I'd park there. It's right next to the ground, and gives you quick easy access to all of the shops/ eatery's around the area.

Good luck on your journey with the Bluebirds. I'm sure you'll enjoy the rollercoaster :lol: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:
JUDGEMENT TIME!
BlueDredd

Postby BlueDredd » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:26 am

rossblue wrote:Iv bought tickets for me and my boys for the Portsmouth and villa games. Can I ask what the canton area is please??? If it's free parking that would be great for us. I'm coming from Ross on Wye so the road is m4 and a48. Cheers guys.

Also the Canton Stand is to the left of the main grandstand. It allows standing, and is the best for atmosphere. I'm not sure if it's called the Canton Stand anymore. It's either the USW, or the Croeso stand now.. But if you book tickets, the ticket office will know what you mean if you're asking for tickets in the Canton.
JUDGEMENT TIME!
BlueDredd

Postby lord raglan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:30 am

Hi mate , I live in monmouth season ticket holder in the canton stand .
Drink with a load of mates with young family in canton rugby club pre and post match , free parking ,food ,family friendly,
5 min walk to ground . Live sky sports on big screen .
Just don't be in a hurry to get home after match , traffic can be busy , so stay and watch the results come in or the late kick off game until traffic clears .
:bluescarf: :occasion5: :bluescarf: :bluebird:
lord raglan

Postby dogfound » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:57 am

Canton is an area of Cardiff with its own small high street 5/10 mins walk to the ground. parking in the car parks i think is free after 6.
dogfound

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi mate, congrats on becoming a bluebird :bluebird: :bluescarf:
We have a season long stadium car park pass which is great because you can just pull up and go straight in without having to walk far and the sand Martin pub, KFC, Mcdonalds are immediately outside the stadium or Greggs and Costa coffee are just across the way. It's great for convenience and guarantees you a space. The only downsides are that at the end of the match there can be abit of delay to get out but not usually too long. Also if you pay upfront for a pass it cost about £150 approx (can't remember what it was this season). I think u may be able to pay on the day but it's very limited parking (check with the club about this). There is parking opposite in the athletic stadium but be sure to get to the stadium early enough (atleast an hour before kick off or so to ensure you get a space) for which they also charge for. So people also park where they can down had field road. I've not ever been into Canton first due to coming from the other direction but I've heard there's a couple of free car parks (as mentioned by above posters) but I'd guess you'd have to get there a couple of hours pre kick off and not guaranteed a space. That said if u can park for free than great!

People also do park on my drive about 5 mins walk from the stadium that is about £7-10 but varies. The canton area is where many city fans walk in from (10 mins walk to the ground) - lots of pubs etc. In the stadium there are various places to buy some drinks and grub. The Canton stand/USW stand is the vocal singing stand of fans - be are that most people stand for the entire match and if you have kids with you it maybe quite difficult for you there but a great atmosphere from here. The Ninian and Grandstand people tend to sit for most of the match and then the family stand is great for kids! Hope that is of some help and apologies if I've repeated info from what people have stated above. Hope you enjoy :bluescarf: BLUEBIRDS
Once a blue always a blue44

Postby KBK-13 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:00 pm

I park in Grangetown by The Cornwall pub, a load of streets to park on and always a space.
KBK-13

Postby rossblue » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks for the response guys.

It sounds like my best option is asda (il be sure to do a little shopping in there tho) as it's free and right near the ground. My Portsmouth ticket is for middle of the grandstand, and my villa tickets are for the family stand. What sort of crowds are we likely to get for these Games. Buying a whole season parking ticket wouldn't benefit us as we won't be there every home game, I'd imagine atleast 10 but no more than 15 due to work and family commitments
rossblue

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:00 pm

rossblue wrote:Thanks for the response guys.

It sounds like my best option is asda (il be sure to do a little shopping in there tho) as it's free and right near the ground. My Portsmouth ticket is for middle of the grandstand, and my villa tickets are for the family stand. What sort of crowds are we likely to get for these Games. Buying a whole season parking ticket wouldn't benefit us as we won't be there every home game, I'd imagine atleast 10 but no more than 15 due to work and family commitments

Villa will be about 25k Id imagine.
Portsmouth will be less than 10.
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby norms76 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:43 pm

rossblue wrote:Thanks for the response guys.

You'll be moved from the family stand for the Villa game as they've given that end to Villa fans. Check with the club.
norms76

Postby rossblue » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:58 pm

How will they move us?? I only paid for my tickets this morning??
rossblue

Postby dogfound » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:26 pm

rossblue wrote:How will they move us?? I only paid for my tickets this morning??

they wont...Villa have been given extra tickets which means some with season tickets in the family stand have to move.. if youve just bought youll be fine.
dogfound

Postby rossblue » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:01 pm

Thanks for everyone's help. Maybe il have a Beer Soon before a game with some on here.
rossblue

Postby norms76 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:17 pm

rossblue wrote:How will they move us?? I only paid for my tickets this morning??

They've given Villa nearly 5k and will be putting them in the family section like they did for Newcastle at the end of last season.
norms76

Postby dogfound » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:23 am

norms76 wrote:

They've given Villa nearly 5k and will be putting them in the family section like they did for Newcastle at the end of last season.

part of the family section..the away section will be extended into .blocks 123,124 and part of 125.
the other half of 125 and blocks 126,127 and i think 128 are still family section home fans..
dogfound

Postby bluebird7291 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:36 am

There's also an alternative. Saint Davids Car Park in cardiff centre, jump on the train or walk.
Take any train to Barry or penarth, get off at Grangetown (next stop after Cardiff Central). You could even walk it if you wanted.

This is an idea if you plan on arriving 3 hours early etc.

:ayatollah:
bluebird7291

Postby nubbsy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:51 am

Maybe as another option look at getting a train to Grangetown station and walking 10/15 mins to the ground down the famous sloper road!

If you want to drive id advise arriving a good hour or so before kick off and park on bessimer Road or the estate just off it for free. Time for a couple of pints in the ground then and watch the build up!

Enjoy the season!
nubbsy

Postby rossblue » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:13 pm

Thanks guys, il take a look into the estate parking for free. Can't wait for the season now. Me and my kids already ticked the games we Wana go to this season. Even ordered myself a Cardiff shirt online to pick up before the Pompey game.
rossblue

Postby bluebird7291 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:05 pm

rossblue wrote:Thanks guys, il take a look into the estate parking for free. Can't wait for the season now. Me and my kids already ticked the games we Wana go to this season. Even ordered myself a Cardiff shirt online to pick up before the Pompey game.

:clap: :clap:

if you are taking kids, try to get in the stadium as early as possible. because if you are sitting in the family section they have alot going on.
penalty shoot out, basketball even PS4's for the kids to play.

:ayatollah:
bluebird7291

Postby rossblue » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:35 pm

Wow seems like a lot of activities for the young ones. We are in the family stand for the villa game.

I don't know much about the team. Who are our best players/key players. What would constitute a good season for us?? I need to get clued up
rossblue

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:34 pm

Zohore is the main man and I'd imagine Tomlin will be exciting to watch too.
The wingers (Hoilet, Harris) can b very good and the new wide man Mendez - Lang is supposed to be like lightning.
For guts and determination our centre back Sol Bamba is great.
I'm sure you'll make your own choices though
bluebirdoct1962

Postby rossblue » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:33 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:Zohore is the main man and I'd imagine Tomlin will be exciting to watch too.
The wingers (Hoilet, Harris) can b very good and the new wide man Mendez - Lang is supposed to be like lightning.
For guts and determination our centre back Sol Bamba is great.
I'm sure you'll make your own choices though

Thank you, can't wait for the season to start. I'm sure my kids will love it.
rossblue

Postby rossblue » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:36 pm

What is the stadium like???
rossblue

Postby Once a blue always a blue44 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:07 pm

Stadiums not a bad size for a championship team but unfortunately we never fill the bowl (part of the stadium) let alone the upper stand. With success fans will come! With defeats empty seats will reappear like magic ;) . Lol but there are many die hard fans that go week in week out who sit in each of the stands. The canton stand (opposite the family) will be very vocal which creates the atmosphere. At times the stadium can be quiet but when things get going the noise levels will ramp up. The stadium itself - I've never been in the family stand but told it's great for kids - sweets for sale, activities and entertainment etc. Would recommend getting to the stadium as early as possible for the villa game as it'll probably be extremely busy and difficult to park.

Say arriving between 13pm- 13.30pm for your first ever match would be a great thing to take a look around the stadium (Fred lee or statue, shop, get ur bearings in terms of where to grab a bite to eat (food inside stadium as well) and find your seat. Usually a low key match I turn up at 2.15-2.30. but a match like villa will be very busy, not to mention it's our first home match of the season. A bigger crowd than normal is expected I'm guessing about 23,000 or 24,000 could be more? An average match will be about 16,000 fans. Grab a few selfies with Bartley (lol) and enjoy let us know what you think after the match. :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
Once a blue always a blue44

Postby rossblue » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:49 pm

I really appreciate those words bud. I'm planning on leaving at 12, should arrive at 1. I think the plan is to park either at asda or the canton rugby club. Grab some food then have a look around. For the Pompey game we need to arrive quite early in time to pick up some stuff from the shop as online it says it shuts at 5. 23k+ would be fantastic. I wonder what sort of crowd is to be expected against Pompey being our first home game of the season.
rossblue

Next

Return to General Chat