Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Who partners Gunnarsson in the middle?

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:35 pm

Who partners Gunnarsson in the middle?

There's no doubt that Aron Gunnarsson will be one of the first names on the team sheet once again next season having scooped the club's player of the season award for the 2016-17 campaign.

But a three-way battle has emerged to partner him in the centre of the park.

Joe Ralls was his regular partner last season while Greg Halford - who can also play at centre-back - also featured in the middle in the second half of the season after joining the Bluebirds from Rotherham during the winter window.

And Warnock has Frenchman Loic Damour at his disposal, meaning there is a strong competition for places in central midfield.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Who partners Gunnarsson in the middle?

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:42 pm

We've seen a lot of Ralls and Halford so we know their strengths and weaknesses.

Give Loïc Damour a run of 5 games to see what he's made of, if he doesn't perform well then we alternate. :thumbright:

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:19 am

From what I have read, Damour looked very good - albeit against poor opposition so far. Be interesting to see if he plays this evening.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:44 am

Forever Blue wrote:Who partners Gunnarsson in the middle?

There's no doubt that Aron Gunnarsson will be one of the first names on the team sheet once again next season having scooped the club's player of the season award for the 2016-17 campaign.

Joe Ralls was his regular partner last season while Greg Halford - who can also play at centre-back - also featured in the middle in the second half of the season after joining the Bluebirds from Rotherham during the winter window.

And Warnock has Frenchman Loic Damour at his disposal, meaning there is a strong competition for places in central midfield.

I don't believe there's 'strong competition in central midfield' at all.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:51 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Who partners Gunnarsson in the middle?

I don't believe there's 'strong competition in central midfield' at all.

Agree, there is not a lot of options there, Tomlin can play there as well but I assume only as part of a 3 man midfield

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:28 am

Ralls for me

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:15 pm

Gunnar and Damour holding with Tomlin doing what he wants.
Ship Ralls out for a few mill and sign another squad player.
I don't rate Ralls but I know many do & I think Warnock does so it will be interesting.