ALFIE

A forum for all things Cardiff City

ALFIE

Postby Lengee » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:24 pm

Just watched the Gareth Thomas v homophobia in football programme. Didnt reveal anything new And not something I have given much thought to. But what the hell. Maybe this forum could support kicking out anti Gay comments, chants etc. Could we take a lead on it?? What about it Annis??

Before anyone asks I am hetrosexual and I was born in the late 1950s when we grew up with different attitudes. Eg Till death do us Part, and Love thy neighbour "woofters" etc etc. But as you grow older you realise who someone is matters a lot more important than what someone is. Calling people names cos of their sexuality
Is pretty pathetic!
Lengee

ALFIE

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ALFIE

Postby AHERNE » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Lengee wrote:Just watched the Gareth Thomas v homophobia in football programme. Didnt reveal anything new And not something I have given much thought to. But what the hell. Maybe this forum could support kicking out anti Gay comments, chants etc. Could we take a lead on it?? What about it Annis??

Before anyone asks I am hetrosexual and I was born in the late 1950s when we grew up with different attitudes. Eg Till death do us Part, and Love thy neighbour "woofters" etc etc. But as you grow older you realise who someone is matters a lot more important than what someone is. Calling people names cos of their sexuality
Is pretty pathetic!

You`ve come to the wrong place to get any positive response butty. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to know what most of the people on this board think about PC people. They think its ok to call people what they want when they want.
AHERNE

Postby dogfound » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:04 pm

AHERNE wrote:
Lengee wrote:Just watched the Gareth Thomas v homophobia in football programme. Didnt reveal anything new And not something I have given much thought to. But what the hell. Maybe this forum could support kicking out anti Gay comments, chants etc. Could we take a lead on it?? What about it Annis??

Is pretty pathetic!

You`ve come to the wrong place to get any positive response butty. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to know what most of the people on this board think about PC people. They think its ok to call people what they want when they want.

do we really have a problem with anti gay chanting..or racial chanting.?.ive been going for years to both old ground and new we have had loads of problems but never for those things.
its actually the right place ..unless your Aherne who leans a few miles to the left of Mao,Marx and Lenin.and thinks ordering a black coffee should result in internment
dogfound

Postby Bluemellons » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:25 pm

I respect Alfie over coming out in Welsh rugby, as to do so , he must be as brave as a lion, but I dont see a problem in football and I've been going for 40 years.
The majority dont give a shit if you are gay, straight or have 3 legs. Its the performance and effort that counts.
I'm actually getting bored of seeing Alfie on TV not making money through his obvious rugby talents, but through being gay.Do some punditry or something ffs!
I have gay relatives and friends (the old cliche), but seriously, the majority do not care about his sexual persuasion. Not one bit.
Its becoming a bit tiresome, like he's the only gay in Wales. :roll:
Bluemellons

Postby Elwood Blues » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:36 pm

Bluemellons wrote:I respect Alfie over coming out in Welsh rugby, as to do so , he must be as brave as a lion, but I dont see a problem in football and I've been going for 40 years.
The majority dont give a shit if you are gay, straight or have 3 legs. Its the performance and effort that counts.
I'm actually getting bored of seeing Alfie on TV not making money through his obvious rugby talents, but through being gay.Do some punditry or something ffs!
I have gay relatives and friends (the old cliche), but seriously, the majority do not care about his sexual persuasion. Not one bit.

If there is no problem in football why has no player felt able to openly say so.

And why would the football association not talk to Alfie and the Premier League only do so without the cameras present?
Elwood Blues

Postby frazier » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:36 pm

Bluemellons wrote:I respect Alfie over coming out in Welsh rugby, as to do so , he must be as brave as a lion, but I dont see a problem in football and I've been going for 40 years.

Agreed. It's almost like he's become a professional gay. By keeping on about it constantly it's going to attract negativity. Nobody really gives a shit about a persons sexuality these days surely.
frazier

Postby Bakedalasker » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:17 pm

Elwood Blues wrote:

If there is no problem in football why has no player felt able to openly say so.

And why would the football association not talk to Alfie and the Premier League only do so without the cameras present?

Good question and it can be asked in other circles of life.

Homosexuality was not allowed in the military when I was serving and although I was anti gay I never understood why gays could not join the services. Then there came a case where in the army a Major was having an affair with a Corporal and during one live exercise a grenade failed to go off. The Major ordered some other Corporal to discharge the grenade when really it should have been his lover who was more qualified.

This was the Majors downfall as his actions where investigated and the authorities discovered about their sexualities. Both were discharged with dishonour with the reasons for showing favouritism. A bit like why most companies don't employ husband and wife except for exceptions. Well that was the rule in those days.

Today gays are allowed in the military and husband/wife can work for the same company. However its attitudes in work against such a couple is the crux of the problem. Ask yourself the question would you be uncomfortable at work if the wife of the boss had an issue with you?

I only know of 2 episodes of gayism in football. That being the sad case of Justine Fashinu and some Leeds footballer who retired from football due to it and came out of retirement to go and play in LA of all places. Neither case has helped the game.
Bakedalasker

Postby mugsy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:34 pm

Elwood Blues wrote:

Spot on - there are no doubt many gay footballers playing the Premier League and Football League - but they are too afraid to come out because of the obscene chanting from the knuckle draggers. When the first players confirm they are gay, they will get stick from opposition fans - but I think this would fairly quickly subside. :ayatollah:
mugsy

Postby phildavies » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:51 am

Bakedalasker wrote:
Elwood Blues wrote:

Good question and it can be asked in other circles of life.

Homosexuality was not allowed in the military when I was serving and although I was anti gay I never understood why gays could not join the services. Then there came a case where in the army a Major was having an affair with a Corporal and during one live exercise a grenade failed to go off. The Major ordered some other Corporal to discharge the grenade when really it should have been his lover who was more qualified.

This was the Majors downfall as his actions where investigated and the authorities discovered about their sexualities. Both were discharged with dishonour with the reasons for showing favouritism. A bit like why most companies don't employ husband and wife except for exceptions. Well that was the rule in those days.

Today gays are allowed in the military and husband/wife can work for the same company. However its attitudes in work against such a couple is the crux of the problem. Ask yourself the question would you be uncomfortable at work if the wife of the boss had an issue with you?

I only know of 2 episodes of gayism in football. That being the sad case of Justine Fashinu and some Leeds footballer who retired from football due to it and came out of retirement to go and play in LA of all places. Neither case has helped the game.

Anti Gay? :?
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby Blue_Barber » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:19 am

The bigger picture is the global market of the game, for instance if i was a gay footballer I may feel comfortable coming out in the UK BUT what damage does that do to my chances of plying my trade in another less understanding country. In which case my only option is to sign a deal here or in the US maybe, which limits my earnings.
It's not just sexuality it's a business decision
Blue_Barber

Postby Fusilier23 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:31 am

Good programme but was somewhat taken aback when Fashanu female relative called all football supporters "ignorant" - am I allowed to feel insulted?
10/01/15
The day normality was restored
Back to Blue
Fusilier23

Postby nojac » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:45 am

I watched the program and enjoyed it.
But it didn't say or do anything that I didn't already know.
Mainly that the football authorities would rather ignore the elephant in the room , than face the problem. They also ignored racism until they were forced to face up to it , by media pressure , all the football authorities are interested in is making money. Unfortunately anything that stops them from making money , they completely ignore . They are probably decades behind the rest of the country . As far as us as fans are concerned , we hate anyone on the other side ( except if their Welsh) black, gay,or ex-jacks .
But I do believe Gay players would be crucified , but then again all opponents are crucified .
nojac

Postby welshrarebit » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:03 am

I played rugby most of my early years. Watched rugby in all its forms all my life. Never saw any homophobia.

I've gone from part time football fan to full time over the last 10 years. Never seen any homophobia here either. I think that's good.

I don't care who people are attracted to. I don't care who they want to be. I care about what they are as a person. If they are a tool I'll dislike them. If they are nice I'll like them. No one should be persecuted for their nature just because it's different to someone else.

I did hear a fantastic line at a rugby match once.

"f*cking hell ref. If Nigel Owens has the guts to admit he is gay the least you can do is admit you are shit"
welshrarebit

Postby llan bluebird » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:31 am

mugsy wrote:
Elwood Blues wrote:

Spot on - there are no doubt many gay footballers playing the Premier League and Football League - but they are too afraid to come out because of the obscene chanting from the knuckle draggers. When the first players confirm they are gay, they will get stick from opposition fans - but I think this would fairly quickly subside. :ayatollah:

Have you thought it may be the contrary ?

The highly politicised element of the "LBGT" community would add so much pressure on "their" new standard bearer, that it may affect the players performance and he couldn't perform well enough to hold down decent contract.

If i was gay, i would n't "come out" and have all that exposure. This is a highly competitive market place and if you were L1 or L2 standard on normalish money you want to get your head down and either get noticed in the champ or prem or just hold down your job.

Imagine if Whitts or Nooney had come out and Warnock came in and didn't play them, would he have to defend himself as not victimising the "gay lad"..... Unless you are footballing Illuminati, it just isn't worth the hassle.

And one more point, its nobodies business but mine what my sexuality is !!!!

The preachy pious lefties bring half the problems on themselves. I really don't think it would be an issue.
llan bluebird

Postby Milkybarkid » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:35 am

Unfortunately I have seen city fans being homophobic but not in recent years I remember a trip to Torquay and a number of city fans dressed up as women shouting and chanting homophobic slurs at Fasanhau ( if that's is correct spelling ) Everyone thought it was really funny at the time and I will admit I laughed as well.
However the number of times I have heard homophobic chants or abuse at the city has been so little I did not think it was a problem I reckon I would here more in a pub in one night than I have ever heard at our ground . Think the only chants have been when we have played Brighton and I am sure most who sing that don't even think about what they are saying .
Milkybarkid

Postby WelshPatriot » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Why are they all crouching waiting, excited for the "gay footballer" to announce himself?

He's a footballer, if he's having consensual sex with men or women it's none of mine or their business.

His sexual preference has no bearing on his ability to do the job he's paid to do.

Like another poster said if I was a gay footballer I wouldn't announce it purely for the way the liberals and LGBT community will hold him up as some sort of messiah even if he doesn't want that kind of exposure. He'll get no say.

As said I don't have to declare to my employer and colleagues that I like a bit of fanny and likewise he doesn't have to say he likes cock.
WelshPatriot

Postby rumpo kid » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:20 pm

Don't tell the PC brigade that - such common sense ensures your name going on the list.

I sense a march coming on.
rumpo kid

Postby dogfound » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:55 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
mugsy wrote:
Elwood Blues wrote:

Have you thought it may be the contrary ?

The highly politicised element of the "LBGT" community would add so much pressure on "their" new standard bearer, that it may affect the players performance and he couldn't perform well enough to hold down decent contract.

If i was gay, i would n't "come out" and have all that exposure. This is a highly competitive market place and if you were L1 or L2 standard on normalish money you want to get your head down and either get noticed in the champ or prem or just hold down your job.

Imagine if Whitts or Nooney had come out and Warnock came in and didn't play them, would he have to defend himself as not victimising the "gay lad"..... Unless you are footballing Illuminati, it just isn't worth the hassle.

And one more point, its nobodies business but mine what my sexuality is !!!!

The preachy pious lefties bring half the problems on themselves. I really don't think it would be an issue.

well thought out post.some very valid points.
dogfound

Return to General Chat