Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Who does Neil Warnock drop?

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:43 am

Who does Neil Warnock drop at centre-back?

By Ian Mitchelmore

Neil Warnock started with the centre-back pairing of Bruno Manga and Sol Bamba for the Bluebirds' penultimate pre-season game against Shrewsbury Town at Montgomery Waters Meadow on Tuesday night.

But there's no doubt that Sean Morrison will be a huge part of the Yorkshireman's plans once again this season having played 3,896 minutes of football last term, more than any of his team-mates.

The Cardiff captain put pen to paper on a new deal to remain with the Bluebirds until 2020 as recently as last week and will no doubt have received assurances from Warnock that he'll play a big role in the 2017-18 season.

And if Warnock is to continue playing four at the back as he did last term, it seems he will have to drop one of Bamba or Manga - who the majority of fans want to be the club's first choice centre-back pairing - to fit Morrison into his plans.

Manga - like Morrison - has been heavily linked with a move away from the Welsh capital this summer but chose to remain in south Wales after agreeing to sign a new contract with the Bluebirds.

And unless Warnock opts for a bold five at the back formation - as used by Chris Coleman's Wales side - that would enable him to incorporate each of the mentioned central defenders, something simply has to give if Morrison is to feature as prominently as he did last season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Who does Neil Warnock drop?

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:50 am

This is a tricky one as unlike other positions you really need a settled centre back pairing who play together regularly.
I think most fans would prefer Manga & Bamba and I'm a fan of both but I think Warnock will start with Morrison & Bamba against Burton.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:10 am

I agree that Morrison and Bamba will be starting Bruno is a class back up to have tho

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:12 am

Bamba and Morrison away all three at home with wing backs

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:40 am

gwentbluebirds wrote:I agree that Morrison and Bamba will be starting Bruno is a class back up to have tho

Agree with what your saying mate but would Bruno be content with a back up role I don't think he would have signed a new contract with that on offer

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:06 pm

Pembroke bluebird wrote:
gwentbluebirds wrote:I agree that Morrison and Bamba will be starting Bruno is a class back up to have tho

Agree with what your saying mate but would Bruno be content with a back up role I don't think he would have signed a new contract with that on offer

There's no way that would been been on offer!
He wouldn't have been told you're going to be a back up. It'll all be about form and fitness. It's a long season.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:07 pm

pontlliwblue wrote:Bamba and Morrison away all three at home with wing backs

I like that

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:43 pm

Morrison will play as he is the Captain, Manga will partner him because he is one of the highest paid players. Bamba will miss out although I can see him making an appearance in the defensive midfield role from time to time.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:09 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Morrison will play as he is the Captain, Manga will partner him because he is one of the highest paid players. Bamba will miss out although I can see him making an appearance in the defensive midfield role from time to time.

i think he will play all 3 week in week out along with Gunner/Demour/Ralls...2 wide men ,Zohore up top with Tomlin tucked in behind him..
dont see the point in spending { probably quite big wages } on Manga...or turning down offers for Morrison..if this is not the case. Warnock is no mug and just cant see him having all those wages sitting on the bench when he could have spent that money to strengthen elsewhere.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:41 pm

dogfound wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:Morrison will play as he is the Captain, Manga will partner him because he is one of the highest paid players. Bamba will miss out although I can see him making an appearance in the defensive midfield role from time to time.

i think he will play all 3 week in week out along with Gunner/Demour/Ralls...2 wide men ,Zohore up top with Tomlin tucked in behind him..
dont see the point in spending { probably quite big wages } on Manga...or turning down offers for Morrison..if this is not the case. Warnock is no mug and just cant see him having all those wages sitting on the bench when he could have spent that money to strengthen elsewhere.

You think he'll play 3 centre backs all season regardless?
That's an interesting and bold statement especially as Warnock is known (mostly) for his 4-4-2.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:02 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
dogfound wrote:

That's an interesting and bold statement especially as Warnock is known (mostly) for his 4-4-2.

just dont see that it makes sense any other way unless of course we do actually plan on selling SM and are just holding out for more money.
Mangas new contract must have ate up a big chunk of the budget.. yet we have Bamba, Morrison, Connolly and had signed Paterson {who i believe can play there } plus Halford..
then theres the turning down apparently good offers for SM..
he loves Bamba. so the conclusion has to be he will go with 2 with the other sat in front of them.
plus my take on NW teams over the years has always been they are big , strong, physical sides that tend to bully.

its football though so anything can happen.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:16 pm

Bruno did well at right back tonight in the second half

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:53 am

I think Warnock clearly sees more in Morrison than many Cardiff fans. Making him captain will guarantee his starting position unless form goes south. I think Bamba will also start only because the right back position is little unsettled at the moment with form and injury niggles and Warnock experimented with Manga last night which by all accounts worked pretty well?
As for Midfield I think he will start with his trusted Gunnarson/Ralls line up with Damour on the bench.
I believe he gave a big hint with his starting 11 last night on how he line up his team at Burton.

Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:09 am

dogfound wrote:

Yeah he's given no indication in pre season that he plans on playing 3 centre backs

Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:30 am

Dicey wrote:
dogfound wrote:

Yeah he's given no indication in pre season that he plans on playing 3 centre backs

He may use it occasionally but I can't see him setting us up like that for the whole season!