Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ex Swansea manager/flop gets new job with Vincent Tan

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Former Swansea City boss Bob Bradley returns to management with Los Angeles team part-owned by Vincent Tan

By Jamie Kemble

Friday 28th July 2017

Former Swansea City manager Bob Bradley has returned to football management with next year’s MLS newcomers LAFC.

Bradley is back in management exactly seven months since losing his job at Swansea City in December 2016.

And the seasoned coach has returned home to the States to take charge of the newly founded LAFC who won’t join the MLS until 2018.

The club were founded in 2014 by a group of 21 named investors including Hollywood star Will Ferrell, former Basketball star Magic Johnson and Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan.

The club adds to a portfolio of three clubs Vincent Tan claims ownership in with Cardiff City, Belgian outfit KV Kortrijk and FK Sarajevo, of Bosnia.

The new manager of Tan’s latest football investment arrives on the back of a disastrous spell in English football with Swansea City.

Bradley lasted just over two-and-a-half months with the Swans, guiding them to the bottom of the Premier League before being sacked.

The former USA national team boss managed a win percentage of 18.8%, a stark contrast to his success with the national team when he left with a record of almost 54%.

However, with the worst spell of his career behind him, he has taken a new challenge to become the first ever manager of LAFC.

Speaking to ESPN following his appointment on Thursday evening, Bradley revealed he hasn’t lost too much sleep over the experiences he had with Swansea.

“I’ve not been one ever to dwell on things. The experiences that I’ve had,” admitted Bradley.

“I’m strong, I’ve come out of every one feeling very confident about how I go about things and the way I was able to impact people.

“I was confident and will always be confident in what I would have been able to achieve, but I also know how the game works.

“I also recognize I was putting myself in a challenging spot, and the most difficult part was going to be the points in the short run. You look back, you think, but the game also gives you new chances.”

The 59-year-old now has the task of putting together a whole squad ahead of next year’s MLS season which will begin in March.

The current season is around mid-way through with the end of the campaign scheduled for October.

LAFC are set to become one of six new teams if the MLS does complete proposals to extend the league from 22 teams to 28.

Bradley is one of the most experienced coaches in America having worked in the game since 1981, and he is looking forward to a very new kind of challenge.

“This last period has been still important for me to think, ‘Where can I find a place where I can really take everything and go?’,” he added.

“As the discussions moved along [at LAFC], I really felt that this is the situation that absolutely fits everything I’ve done and what I want to do from here on out.

“That experience of now starting from scratch, piece by piece, everything counts to get it right, My wheels are spinning, and I think all of us will be hard at work in all of those different ways.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Ex Swansea manager/flop gets new job with Vincent Tan

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:02 pm

It frankly staggers me how these people get these jobs. Handsomely paid and given a serious amount of money to leave when they seemingly fail at a club.

After his exposure at Swansea who in their right mind would employ him?

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:07 pm

Tan only had to candidates Malky and Bradley so no surprise there :bluescarf: lol ----- Tan needs to decide which club he wants to succeed instead of trying to promote Malaysia :o

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:07 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:It frankly staggers me how these people get these jobs. Handsomely paid and given a serious amount of money to leave when they seemingly fail at a club.

his over all record stands up well for managing in that league.
even Brian Clough didnt work out everywhere.

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:15 am

dogfound wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:It frankly staggers me how these people get these jobs. Handsomely paid and given a serious amount of money to leave when they seemingly fail at a club.

his over all record stands up well for managing in that league.
even Brian Clough didnt work out everywhere.

Feel free to elaborate, no promotions no titles and not managed in that league since the money and pro era came into play.