Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ben Amos

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi Guys

Charlton fan here.

Ben Amos is about to sign for us on loan, thoughts on him would be appreciated.

Re: Ben Amos

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Oh mate don't even bother, most useless goalkeeper I've ever seen between the sticks for us and we've had some howlers over the years. Only ever got game time due to the fact we had no one else to rely upon and as soon as someone half decent came in he was out! I hated watching the bloke, never looked comfortable from the start! Can't even see him doing a job in League 1. Hope this helps mate

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:09 pm

it didnt happen for him with us..left a couple of howlers in but truth be told got scapegoated for a few too.
was always going to be up against it replacing fans favourite and Cardiff City hero David Marshal.
hope it works out for him and yourselves.
nowhere near as bad as im sure a few will say he is.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:17 pm

Pmay64 wrote:Hi Guys

Charlton fan here.

Ben Amos is about to sign for us on loan, thoughts on him would be appreciated.

Definitely not as bad as some on here will make out mate.

I always felt safe with his handling and he pulled off a few worldy saves that I can remember, but he did make a couple of errors too mainly down to his decision making due to his confidence being down, I'd say.

He's not a goalkeeper I'd want in the Championship and he will definitely make a mistake or 2 in the future, but I reckon he'll be a pretty solid bet in League One.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:49 pm

dogfound wrote:it didnt happen for him with us..left a couple of howlers in but truth be told got scapegoated for a few too.
was always going to be up against it replacing fans favourite and Cardiff City hero David Marshal.
hope it works out for him and yourselves.
nowhere near as bad as im sure a few will say he is.

Pretty much this.

He did make a few mistakes but sometimes a keeper just needs a new club. We have had a few keepers who haven't been great on loan and done well elsewhere.

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:57 am

Name a keeper who has performed worse than he has for us in the past 10 years?

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:28 am

Jimmy Floyd wrote:Name a keeper who has performed worse than he has for us in the past 10 years?

Bywater

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:20 am

Jimmy Floyd wrote:Name a keeper who has performed worse than he has for us in the past 10 years?

Agent Dimi

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:18 am

Peter Zois

Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:41 am

Peter enkleman
Stuart taylor
Dimi Konstantopoulos
Ben Wilson

Amos was never really given a chance to settle but league 1 is probably his level. He will do well in that league

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:40 am

thomasblue wrote:Peter enkleman
Stuart taylor
Dimi Konstantopoulos
Ben Wilson

Amos was never really given a chance to settle but league 1 is probably his level. He will do well in that league

Enkleman has just been blamed for that cup final mistake, apart from that he was hardly a terrible keeper. Stuart Taylor wasn't as bad as Amos either. Konstantopolous came from Swansea so was never going to be taken in by the fans, but, as a keeper, he done a job! Ben Wilson has been our 3rd or 4th option and he's young and learning, yes he performed bad for us but I expected it from him, Ben Amos made mistake after mistake after mistake, looked completely lost and every shot that was on target they scored it seemed! Being honest, there is no worse keeper we've had. I honestly can't believe the support he's getting!

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:15 pm

I agree about Enkleman thought he did well for us at a time we were struggling in goal.

Not sure how you can say that about Dimi though he made huge mistake after mistake, never seen anything like it, the fact he came from Swansea made no difference. He did go on to do well elsewhere though and it just goes to show how important it is for a keeper to have a good start at a club.

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:01 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I agree about Enkleman thought he did well for us at a time we were struggling in goal.

Not sure how you can say that about Dimi though he made huge mistake after mistake, never seen anything like it, the fact he came from Swansea made no difference. He did go on to do well elsewhere though and it just goes to show how important it is for a keeper to have a good start at a club.

Dimi did make mistakes but I don't think it was as often as Amos did. Who would you say was better out of the two? I quite liked Dimi to be honest he did pull a few good saves out of the bag.

I can't recall who we were playing but I can remember us asking him to do the ayatollah and him looking over to Dave Jones completely confused as to what it was. Jones done the ayatollah which made things even more confusing for him! Well he didn't do it and cue the 'You Jack B@s!@rd' chants! He didn't know where to look haha still chuckle about it now :bluescarf:

Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:09 pm

Dimi only played 6 games and I think it was his first two games he made huge mistakes, memory serves me right he dropped the ball into the net for an own goal then next came came out as a sweeper and totally missed the ball.

Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:53 pm

Made some decent reaction saves but pot shots from way out are likely to fly past him. I often wondered if he closed his eyes when someone takes a shot against him. Also paid far too much. If we hadn't been desperate we could haven't gotten far better value for money elsewhere.

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:18 pm

Good Luck With That ONE ;)

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:51 am

2blue2handle wrote:Dimi only played 6 games and I think it was his first two games he made huge mistakes, memory serves me right he dropped the ball into the net for an own goal then next came came out as a sweeper and totally missed the ball.

this was Norwich away if I remember? we slaughtered him!