A forum for all things Cardiff City

MATCH THREAD " BURTON ALBION v CARDIFF CITY " MATCH THREAD

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:45 am

BURTON ALBION v CARDIFF CITY
Saturday, 5th August - 3pm
SkyBet Championship
Pirelli Stadium

TEAM NEWS

Cardiff City: Etheridge: Morrison, Manga, Bamba, Peltier, Bennett, Ralls, Gunnarsson, Hoilett, Tomlin, Zohore.

Subs

Murphy, Richards, Halford, Damour, Pilkington, Mendez-Laing, Ward.

Kenneth Zohore and Lee Tomlin will start upfront.

Neil Etheridge will start in goal.

Away Cardiff tickets sold out 1,662 :ayatollah: :bluebird:

No tickets available on the day as its a sellout :thumbright: :thumbright: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

INJURY NEWS 04/08/17

Cardiff will be without Kadeem Harris,Lee Camp, Callum Paterson and Matt Connolly at the Pirelli Stadium

Sky Bet Odds:

Burton – 17/10

Draw – 21/10

Cardiff – 17/10

01/08/17

Blow for Burton Albion

Burton Albion have suffered a significant injury blow ahead of their opener with Cardiff.
Record signing Liam Boyce has suffered an ACL injury and is expected to be sidelined for most of the season.

" INJURY WORRIES 29/07/17 "

Kadeem Harris
Greg Halford
Matthew Connolly
Loic Damour

Large.jpg

97 days after a 3-0 win at Huddersfield Town, this Saturday 5th August will see Cardiff City's first team return to competitive football with a trip to Burton Albion.

Pre-season has been completed and it is now down to the serious stuff.

Neil Warnock's side will be hoping to get three points as the Bluebirds look to start the season well :ayatollah:

About Burton Albion

Burton Albion Football Club is a professional association football club based in the town of Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, England. The team play in the Championship, the second tier of English football. Burton Albion competed in the non-League of English football from their formation in 1950 until 2009, when they were promoted to the Football League. The club's home ground is the Pirelli Stadium, having moved from Eton Park in 2005, and their nickname is The Brewers, stemming from the town's brewing heritage dating back hundreds of years.

The Brewers opened their first season in the Championship in spectacular fashion losing away to local rivals Nottingham Forest 4-3. Burton went on a 6 match streak without losing between 18 February and 18 March beginning with a 2-1 win at home to ex-Premiership opponents; Norwich City and culminating in a 3-5 defeat to Brentford and including a 1-0 win over Nottingham Forest in the reverse fixture. Burton secured their Championship status on 29 April 2017 after a 1-1 draw with Barnsley.

Pirelli Stadium

The Pirelli Stadium on Princess Way was built in 2005 and is the current home of the Brewers, replacing Eton Park, also on the same road, which was demolished and developed into housing. The ground cost £7.2 million to build, and was built on the former site of the Pirelli UK Tyres Ltd Sports & Social Club. The land was donated to the club by Pirelli in return for naming rights.

The Pirelli Stadium has seen minor capacity changes since its construction, and the current capacity is 6,912, with 2,034 being seated in the South (Main) Stand. The current record attendance for the stadium stands at 6,450 for an EFL Cup match against Liverpool on 23 August 2016. Previous records include 6,192 for a Conference National 1–0 defeat against Oxford United, during the club's title-winning season, and 6,191 for an FA Cup third-round match on 8 January 2006 against Manchester United.

Team News

TBC

Form - Last Three Pre-Season Matches

Burton Albion 0-1 West Bromwich Albion
Shrewsbury Town 1-0 Burton Albion
Burton Albion 2-1 Leicester City

Plymouth Argyle 0-1 Cardiff City
Shrewsbury Town 2-1 Cardiff City
Cardiff City 4-0 Livingston

Match Odds

Burton Albion 6/4
Cardiff City 7/4
Draw 23/10

Predictions

Post your predictions below :thumbright:

Don't forget to vote for your Man of the Match after the game. That poll will be posted on this forum at full time :thumbright:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: LATEST NEWS " BURTON ALBION v CARDIFF CITY " MATCH THREA

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:48 am

I'm going!
My prediction:
Burton Albion 0-2 Cardiff City

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:55 am

Away Cardiff tickets sold out 1,640 :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:56 am

" INJURY WORRIES "

Kadeem Harris
Greg Halford
Matthew Connolly
Loic Damour

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:56 am

Burton Albion 1 Cardiff City 3 :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:08 am

1st games usually tough starters so going for 0-1 city win.

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:18 am

Burton Albion 0-2 Cardiff City :ayatollah:

Zohore & Morrison :thumbright:

Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:06 pm

Burton Albion still have two pre-season friendlies left. Today they go to Shrewsbury Town, before hosting Leicester City on Tuesday.

Cardiff City completed their pre-season with a 4-0 win over Livingston.

Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:13 pm

Burton 0 City 3 :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:14 pm

Burton 0 City 3 :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:42 pm

Burton 0 BLUEBIRDS 2 (ZOHORE,WARD)

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:33 pm

Burton lost 1-0 at Shrewsbury today.

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:48 pm

2-0 City. New ground for me and I've heard the faggots and peas are legendary. Won't be so legendary on the coach home after a few beers.Farrrp.

Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:31 pm

I cannot take a side seriously whose badge has a fella with a beer belly on it. He's carrying more timber than Tomlin ffs! Been hitting those famous faggots and peas too often if you ask me. 2.0 City. :occasion5: :happy1:

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:44 am

lyndipops wrote:I cannot take a side seriously whose badge has a fella with a beer belly on it. He's carrying more timber than Tomlin ffs! Been hitting those famous faggots and peas too often if you ask me. 2.0 City. :occasion5: :happy1:

They beat us last year :thumbup:

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:57 am

2-1 city gunners and zohore :bluescarf:

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:25 am

Forever Blue wrote:Burton Albion 1 Cardiff City 3 :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

I would settle for a draw

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:34 am

4 - 0 ( i'm attending the game so i'm hopefull )
Zohore, Ward x 2 & Tomlin

HERES TO HOPING. :thumbright:

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:43 am

Burton Albion 1-2 City - Zohore x2

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:14 pm

angelis1949 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Burton Albion 1 Cardiff City 3 :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

I would settle for a draw

We normally draw the opening game, C'mon city lets win this one for once

Im hoping for a 3-1 to the City :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:20 pm

What is the best pub to go to before the game. People have mentioned the Beech Inn as an away pub?

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:34 pm

See some strange results on opening day. I have a feeling we may lose this one. Going for Burton 2-1.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:11 pm

Just cannot wait for season to start. Also the kick off at 3pm represents me walking out of work and beginning my annual leave. Yeah

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:27 pm

Cannot wait either....is gonna be bouncing up at Burton then at Home for the villa match! Just hope we can kick it off with a win! On paper we should win but who knows - will just go up there and enjoy the day anyways! :bluescarf: :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:29 pm

Blow for Burton Albion

Burton Albion have suffered a significant injury blow ahead of their opener with Cardiff.
Record signing Liam Boyce has suffered an ACL injury and is expected to be sidelined for most of the season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Burton Albion V Cardiff City. Match Officials

The match officials for the opening game of the season at Burton on Saturday have been announced.

Geoff Eltringham is the man in charge as the 2017 / 2018 campaign kicks off.

Referee: GEOFF ELTRINGHAM (County Durham)
Assistants: Nick Greenhalgh and James Mainwaring
Fourth Official: Michael Salisbury

Eltringham has officiated a number of City games previously, his first was a 1 - 0 Bluebirds win at Barnsley in 2012.

Records show Eltringham's first senior apppointment as a referee was a Blue Square Premier League game at the start of the 2008 / 09 season, at Burton!

C:WindowsTempphpABF9.tmp

Over the last three seasons he has referee'd five Cardiff City games with four of them defeats for the Bluebirds.

Last season he officiated two Cardif City matches. He sent off Lee Peltier at Villa Park as City went down 3 - 1 and he sent off Matt Connolly as City lost 2 - 0 at home to Derby. Over the whole season he officiated 40 games issuing 112 yellow cards and 5 red.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:25 pm

BURTON 2:1 LEICESTER CITY - Tonight .

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:44 am

Forever Blue wrote:Blow for Burton Albion

What a sickened for this lad. Good luck to him. :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:26 pm

That's pretty rubbish for the, having a new top signing get injured and out for query the season! I know it could work in our favour but still wouldn't wish that on any player!

Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:09 pm

' Burton Injuries '

Burton have been hit by a major injury to their marquee signing of the summer.

Liam Boyce arrived at the Pirelli Stadium to great fanfare, with Brewers fans hopeful he could add much-needed goals to the steely defensive resilience already put in place by Clough.

But the 26-year-old won't feature against Cardiff on Saturday, nor for the majority of the season after being struck down by a long-term injury that significantly hampers Clough's attacking plans.

"Burton actually broke their transfer record to bring the Northern Ireland striker from Ross County," said Murray.

"But Boyce went off on a stretcher in the pre-season defeat at Shrewsbury Town and we've just had confirmation that he is out for most of the season with an ACL injury. That is a terrible blow."