Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FOUR SUBS FOR CARIBOU CUP?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:14 am

Is it just for the cup or is it now a new rule in league ganes to? I had a laugh when the announcer said "4th and final sub" as i wasnt aware of the change even for the cup

Re: This 4 subs lark

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:25 am

ABBA penalty system and extra substitute innovation to apply in Carabao Cup

In line with every other tie in the competition, supporters could see two important changes when their teams play in the Carabao Cup this season.

PENALTY KICKS
As seen for the first time in in the FA Community Shield on Sunday between Arsenal and Chelsea, the new ABBA system came into play, whereby teams take two penalties together, rather than taking turns.

The trial of the new system is being backed by the International Football Association Board (IFAB) in response to the suggestion that the player taking the second kick is under greater mental pressure in the current format. Therefore, a different order of kickers is being trialled in an experiment to reduce any apparent advantage the team taking the first kick may have.

In simple terms, the team taking the first kick in each ‘pair’ of kicks will alternate as follows.

1st kick – Team A
2nd kick – Team B
3rd kick – Team B
4th kick – Team A
5th kick – Team A
6th kick – Team B
7th kick – Team B
8th kick – Team A
9th kick – Team A
10th kick – Team B
11th kick – Team B
12th kick – Team A and so on…

SUBSTITUTIONS
As regards substitutes, both teams will be able to make three substitutions as normal but if it goes to extra time then both teams now have the ability to use up to four substitutes – but only if the game goes beyond the 90 minutes.

Re: This 4 subs lark

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:29 am

From the BBC web-site regarding the FA Cup (which has Cardiff City's name on it ;) ):

FA Cup: Fourth substitute to be allowed in latter stages of competition

Teams in the quarters, semis and final will be allowed to use a fourth substitute in extra time

Clubs will be allowed to use a fourth substitute during extra time in the latter stages of this season's FA Cup.

The format, subject to approval from the International Football Association Board, was trialled in the Copa America this summer.

The rule will be introduced in the FA Cup from the quarter-final stage.

FA chief executive Martin Glenn said the move will add "intrigue and interest", adding that "player welfare" had also been a consideration.

"It is important The FA continues to look at how it can further add to the drama and spectacle of a competition loved by millions," he added.

The FA's decision to scrap replays from the quarter-final stage was another factor in the move.

"With the cup now adopting a straight knockout format from the quarter-finals onwards, the introduction of a fourth substitute in extra time will bring extra intrigue and interest," Glenn said.

"Also, from a technical point of view, it will be interesting to see how managers use the chance to make an additional substitution in such high-profile games and the impact it has on the final result."

Re: FOUR SUBS FOR CARIBOU CUP?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:42 pm

I think the extra sub in the cup is a great idea with a heavy schedule

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:09 pm

Am I making this up or did the announcer say last night

"The third and final substitute for cardiff is meite"

Only a couple of minutes later to say "the forth and final substitute for Cardiff"

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:15 pm

nubbsy wrote:I think the extra sub in the cup is a great idea with a heavy schedule

Agree .

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:27 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:
nubbsy wrote:I think the extra sub in the cup is a great idea with a heavy schedule

Agree .

Yep, makes perfect sense guys! :ayatollah: