Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

POSITIVE TALKING POINTS FROM PORTSMOUTH GAME

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:26 am

The key talking points as gritty Portsmouth win throws up several bonuses for City boss Neil Warnock
By Ian Mitchelmore

09/08/17

Here are the main talking points from Cardiff's Carabao Cup win over Portsmouth

Goals from Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Greg Halford saw Cardiff City book their place in the second round of the Carabao Cup with a 2-1 win over Portsmouth.

The Bluebirds fell behind through captain Sean Morrison's own goal late on in the first half, and Neil Warnock revealed after the match that it took a half time rollicking for his side to click into gear.

They await news of the second round draw - which takes place on Thursday night - with Warnock admitting he would love to see his face Premier League opposition in the next phase of the competition.

Here are the five key talking points from the match:

Jazz Richards is far more than just back up

The 12-cap Wales international spoke about his ambitions to lock down a regular starting place with the Bluebirds earlier this summer.

But the 26-year-old was forced to settle for a place on the bench for Cardiff's Championship opener at Burton, with Warnock selecting Lee Peltier and Joe Bennett in the wing back positions at the Pirelli Stadium.

Richards was given the chance to impress against Pompey, and it was an opportunity he grabbed with both hands.

He put in two brilliantly timed last-ditch challenges to thwart Kenny Jackett's side and was also able to support the Bluebirds' attacking cast of Lee Tomlin, Danny Ward and Matty Kennedy.

Plenty for Warnock to ponder, which can only be a good thing.

Matty Kennedy also takes his chance to shine

"Matthew did alright as well, he should have scored and he'll be seeing that header tonight when he's in bed."

That was how Warnock summed up Kennedy's performance against Pompey.

On the face of it, you'd be fair to assume the young winger may well have had something of a shocker on his first appearance of the campaign. But he had anything but.

The former Everton man proved to be a menace on the wing and was single-handedly providing Cardiff's creative spark in the opening 45 before he was assisted by Mendez-Laing and co. following the restart.

Granted, he spurned two golden opportunities to net his first goal for the Bluebirds, but the fact he was creating chances as well as getting on the end of them bodes well for the season.

Cup run should be welcomed

Fewer than 7,000 fans were at Cardiff City Stadium as the Bluebirds avoided a repeat of last season's defeat to lower league opposition at the first hurdle in the newly-named Carabao Cup.

And Warnock himself admitted after the game that he struggles to get motivated for such matches.

"I don't get too excited about this cup. It would be nice (to draw a Premier League side)," said the Cardiff boss.

But the match gave the likes of Loic Damour, Kennedy, Richards and Stuart O'Keefe among others the chance to impress given that they won't all necessarily be regulars in the Championship.

And if Cardiff are paired with a Premier League side in the second round, expect a fair few more supporters to be hunting for tickets.

When players get on the same wavelength as Tomlin, the Bluebirds will fly

He showed flashes of brilliance in pre-season and once again tried to be Cardiff's inspiration as their blunt attack struggled to break down a stubborn Portsmouth side, particularly in the first half.

When Tomlin got into gear, the home fans were soon on their feet

The 28-year-old was continuously playing blind passes that were missed by his team-mates, and Tomlin was quick to berate them when they weren't making the runs he wanted them to.

His slick move with Danny Ward in the second half drew a round of applause, and his departure from the field in extra time earned him a standing ovation.

There's no doubt it'll take time for certain players to fully understand how to dovetail with Tomlin, but when they do, the fans could be up off their seats even more this season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: POSITIVE TALKING POINTS FROM PORTSMOUTH GAME

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:55 pm

Yes let's all look at the positives after last night's game but let us also look at the not so positives and before someone says "here goes Mr.negativy again "but I just think someone has to be a hard nose realist,first Warnock is not a God unlike some on here might think,no he is very much human and can make errors of judgment,one being why did he start with Tomlin on the wing where most fans would know he is more effective in the centre of the park,due credit to Warnock he rectified that error by moving Tomlin to a more central position in the second half,my other observations were that O'keeth brings nothing to the party,and should be moved on,but my main concern is regarding our striking options,if and when Zahore gets injured who is going to step up? in all honesty I just can't see Ward being up to the job although he is hard working and full of running,in my view he is not going to score you goals on a regular basis

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:06 pm

angelis1949 wrote:Yes let's all look at the positives after last night's game but let us also look at the not so positives and before someone says "here goes Mr.negativy again "but I just think someone has to be a hard nose realist,first Warnock is not a God unlike some on here might think,no he is very much human and can make errors of judgment,one being why did he start with Tomlin on the wing where most fans would know he is more effective in the centre of the park,due credit to Warnock he rectified that error by moving Tomlin to a more central position in the second half,my other observations were that O'keeth brings nothing to the party,and should be moved on,but my main concern is regarding our striking options,if and when Zahore gets injured who is going to step up? in all honesty I just can't see Ward being up to the job although he is hard working and full of running,in my view he is not going to score you goals on a regular basis

Excellent points...If we don't bring in a new striker who like Zohore can lead the line we are going to regret it...Ward has shown enough in his time here already to show that he will be able to play alongside Zohore and be a big threat..but will he be able to lead the line in Zohore absence...don't think so.

Also our first choice midfield is competitive but lose Gunnerson and we will be overrun like we were at times last night

A striker and central midfielder are needed and urgently...then we really will be in business

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:23 pm

angelis1949 wrote:Yes let's all look at the positives after last night's game but let us also look at the not so positives and before someone says "here goes Mr.negativy again "but I just think someone has to be a hard nose realist,first Warnock is not a God unlike some on here might think,no he is very much human and can make errors of judgment,one being why did he start with Tomlin on the wing where most fans would know he is more effective in the centre of the park,due credit to Warnock he rectified that error by moving Tomlin to a more central position in the second half,my other observations were that O'keeth brings nothing to the party,and should be moved on,but my main concern is regarding our striking options,if and when Zahore gets injured who is going to step up? in all honesty I just can't see Ward being up to the job although he is hard working and full of running,in my view he is not going to score you goals on a regular basis

It's all about opinions and you certainly have yours, so no worries :ayatollah:

I guess it's a glass half full or glass half empty situation and most will take the former over the latter; I know I do and I also believe that Neil Warnock (promotion or not) is the best all-round manager we've had at this club in some years. The Board seem to appreciate that, as do the majority of fans :thumbup:

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:31 pm

The Bluebirds are certainly flying and the Talkin Points are by far important if us fans want to get there teeth into the brand new season which kicked off a couple of days ago with that win over Burton, and won against Portsmouth and no doubt they will be buzzing going into this weekends crucial game with Aston Villa, bring it on and I can't wait to see the reception former Chelsea man John Terry will get at the bluebirds turf

Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:37 pm

[quote="angelis1949"]Yes let's all look at the positives after last night's game but let us also look at the not so positives and before someone says "here goes Mr.negativy again "but I just think someone has to be a hard nose realist,first Warnock is not a God unlike some on here might think,no he is very much human and can make errors of judgment,one being why did he start with Tomlin on the wing where most fans would know he is more effective in the centre of the park,due credit to Warnock he rectified that error by moving Tomlin to a more central position in the second half,my other observations were that O'keeth brings nothing to the party,and should be moved on,but my main concern is regarding our striking options,if and when Zahore gets injured who is going to step up? in all honesty I just can't see Ward being up to the job although he is hard working and full of running,in my view he is not going to score you goals on a regular basis[/quote]

If ward gets the ball played on the ground instead of lumping it up in the air to him, like last night, and get the service that Zahore gets, he will score goals

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:04 pm

Yes you are the most negative, glass half empty, 'miserable' sod on here, but you do make a couple of valid points.
;)

Whilst I believe Warnock is by far the best manager for us at the moment, some on here are over the top and think he can do no wrong. Another win and the usual suspects will be claiming we can finish in the top two!

I didn't watch the game last night but I guess if he played Tomlin out wide it could well have been to have a look at him there or look at someone else in another position. Not necessarily a mistake.

I also agree with the striker situation and that it's imperative to bring somebody in if we are to challenge for a play off place.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:13 pm

Ward is good enough and I agree we need another striker but with out central midfield reinforcements somebody to thread a pass dictate the game you can have Messi up front and he would struggle.

Our midfield options are limited at best, Ralls not good enough, the French lad looks of similar ilk, if anything happens to the Gunnar and the window shuts we will be in trouble.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:00 pm

Igovernor wrote:
angelis1949 wrote:Yes let's all look at the positives after last night's game but let us also look at the not so positives and before someone says "here goes Mr.negativy again "but I just think someone has to be a hard nose realist,first Warnock is not a God unlike some on here might think,no he is very much human and can make errors of judgment,one being why did he start with Tomlin on the wing where most fans would know he is more effective in the centre of the park,due credit to Warnock he rectified that error by moving Tomlin to a more central position in the second half,my other observations were that O'keeth brings nothing to the party,and should be moved on,but my main concern is regarding our striking options,if and when Zahore gets injured who is going to step up? in all honesty I just can't see Ward being up to the job although he is hard working and full of running,in my view he is not going to score you goals on a regular basis[/quote]

If ward gets the ball played on the ground instead of lumping it up in the air to him, like last night, and get the service that Zahore gets, he will score goals

I agree with you about lumping the ball up and hoping for best,the point there of course is who is instructing the defence and midfield to do that,surly not Mr.Warnock surly not

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:37 pm

Negative would be that first half, it was a shower of s**t and embarrassing from us, clueless and shouting to 'Lump it long' to Manga when he had 15 yards of space around him to Danny Ward.. fantastic. He made up for it after that because they came out with more effort.. similar to Fulham in the FA Cup game.. Warnock needs to get his act together in these cup games.. nothing wrong with a semi strong team but send them out there to give 110% people actually can't attend many games and choose the games as they can be seen as affordable and suit some supporters and to send out that performance first half is shocking especially for a team that is seen to be amongst our own supporters are dark horses for the top 6.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:46 am

DandoCCFC wrote:Negative would be that first half, it was a shower of s**t and embarrassing from us, clueless and shouting to 'Lump it long' to Manga when he had 15 yards of space around him to Danny Ward.. fantastic. He made up for it after that because they came out with more effort.. similar to Fulham in the FA Cup game.. Warnock needs to get his act together in these cup games.. nothing wrong with a semi strong team but send them out there to give 110% people actually can't attend many games and choose the games as they can be seen as affordable and suit some supporters and to send out that performance first half is shocking especially for a team that is seen to be amongst our own supporters are dark horses for the top 6.

Let's not be too harsh...yes first half was pretty dire but don't forget this was a decent Portsmouth team, they are no mugs.

Second half and extra time we battered them..they hardly got out of their own half in extra time, better finishing and it could have been 3 or 4.