Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

National Anthem

Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:34 pm

now is know a lot of people like to make chants that we can sing at games on this forum, but I never understood why we just don't sing the Welsh national anthem during our games. We sing it at Wales games, and that game against Belgium when the entire stadium sung it was spine tingling, and I have even heard us singing it at Cardiff away games at times, so why don't we sing it at home during our games?. I personally think it would be great, Just a suggestion.

Re: National Anthem

Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Agree

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:02 pm

Because loads of Cardiff don't know the words whereas Wales games you have fans from all over Wales.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:22 pm

I think we definitly should. On the occasions we have it has sounded incredible, last time I think was Huddersfield away final game of last season.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:45 pm

GrangeEndStar wrote:I think we definitly should. On the occasions we have it has sounded incredible, last time I think was Huddersfield away final game of last season.

yeah, I have heard us sing it at away games and its something that distinguishes us from other teams, and I really do think it would encourage our players during games, as it did for the welsh players. Would be great if we could start singing it at home games.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:06 pm

Bluebird Warrior wrote:
GrangeEndStar wrote:I think we definitly should. On the occasions we have it has sounded incredible, last time I think was Huddersfield away final game of last season.

yeah, I have heard us sing it at away games and its something that distinguishes us from other teams, and I really do think it would encourage our players during games, as it did for the welsh players. Would be great if we could start singing it at home games.

It does indeed set us as unique to other teams and I've noticed it often silences the oppo fans especially when sang away. We get GSOQ all the time and this is the perfect foil for that.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:23 pm

Not being negative but how will us singing the welsh national anthem benefit the players when most of the squad are different nationalities?

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:46 pm

ccfcsam25 wrote:Not being negative but how will us singing the welsh national anthem benefit the players when most of the squad are different nationalities?

Welsh club, Welsh fans it's our anthem. Same goes for men of harlech.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:55 pm

Never really understood why our fans sing this at City games.

Fine when it's a Wales game because it's the Welsh anthem. It's not a Cardiff City anthem.

Don't see how it's going to inspire the players - not a Welsh player in our team (unless Jazz is playing).

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:12 pm

As an outsider I reckon you should sing it, it's your Welsh identity it stands you apart, one of the best things about watching the six nations rugby as a non Welshman is the unbelievable atmosphere

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:36 pm

davids wrote:Never really understood why our fans sing this at City games.

Fine when it's a Wales game because it's the Welsh anthem. It's not a Cardiff City anthem.

Don't see how it's going to inspire the players - not a Welsh player in our team (unless Jazz is playing).

right. the welsh anthem means something to us but not to the majority of our players. if i heard the scottish anthem sung, hardly gonna do anything for me!

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:51 pm

davids wrote:Never really understood why our fans sing this at City games.

Its our club too. It means something to us.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:31 pm

Agree with 'davids' on this one. For me, supporting Cardiff and supporting Wales have always been totally different experiences.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:46 pm

The other thing that also makes me giggle at away games is when our fans sing "Don't take me home, please don't take me home...." followed a few moments later by "I wanna go home....(insert home team's name) is a shithole, I wanna go home" :lol:

Can't seem to make their mind up for some reason! :o

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:31 pm

wiltshirebluebird wrote:Agree with 'davids' on this one. For me, supporting Cardiff and supporting Wales have always been totally different experiences.

Agree, keep it for the Welsh games. Singing it will force the opposition to sing that f*cking dirge "GSTQ" and that gets right up my nose. Let's have more "I'll be there", they got no answer to that. :thumbup: