Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Who Rems This " John Buchanan " Over 21,000 Fans

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:09 pm

Who Rems This " John Buchanan " Over 21,000 Fans at Ninian Park :bluebird:

Cardiff City v Swansea City

27th December 1980

Jacks were 2nd in the old second division and beating Cardiff City 1-3 at Ninian Park and then
Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOvrAXaZKfg :thumbright: :bluebird:

I was stood on the corner of the Bob Bank near the Jacks and boy did I enjoy this :thumbright: :bluebird:

When that beauty of a shot went in, I went mental and so did thousands of other Cardiff fans. I've never forgotten that goal :bluebird: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Who Rems This " John Buchanan " Over 21,000 Fans

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:24 pm

I missed both goals, heard the kitchen goal in car park and Buchanan goal on radio, gutting!

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:29 pm

I remember it a wonderful goal one of many special goals Buchanan scored for us

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:36 pm

Remember it well...
Great bloke ..
John Buchanan John Buchanan tra la la la la la

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:38 pm

The Trooper wrote:I missed both goals, heard the kitchen goal in car park and Buchanan goal on radio, gutting!

Snap, my dad used to leave 5 minutes early to beat the traffic...we left at 3-1 down, John Buchanan was my first football hero

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:45 pm

Remember it well and still my favourite City top.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:53 pm

Yep, I was city nuts in them days. Sneak in at the back of the Bob, dog burger, Pongo singing the muppet song.
Skins, punks , mods...pre trendy days.
Miners off shift with black faces - won't see that again..blokes more likely to moisturise these days.

Basil the legend...

John Buchanan tra lala lalala

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:28 pm

I was in Bob Bank ...Jacks were in open Grange End .

Peter Kitchen ( I think) pulled back "a late consolation goal" then Jacks dared Buchanan to shoot and the rest is folklore !! :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:42 pm

cant remember what i did last week but will remember that always :D was walking out of bob bank stopped to watch the freekick
glad i stopped.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Was there with my old mate Mayday, now dead sadly. Great day that ended badly with a night in the jail :oops: a sweaty sock saved the day :lol:

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:41 pm

I was in the Canton stand directly behind him as he shot. Fantastic goal, fantastic moment.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:42 pm

yes I was there in the enclosure-----it was a screamer the jacks goalie was flapping air as it went in ---one of my greatest moments at Ninian park :old:

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:45 pm

What a strike!

What was the rivalry with Swansea like in that time period Annis? As bad as the late 80's/90's?

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:49 pm

My memory can be shite at times but I remember that as though it was yesterday!
I felt that if the net hadn't stopped it the ball would have ended up near Grangetown train station :lol:
Bob bank under the TV camera gantry.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:50 pm

brizzle city were our main rivals at that time nubbsy the swansea thing sort of kicked on from 1980-81period

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:59 pm

nubbsy wrote:What a strike!

What was the rivalry with Swansea like in that time period Annis? As bad as the late 80's/90's?

Jack, amazing strike never forgotten.

That game was the first time they had ever shown up in Cardiff as they were on their way to the old First Division and they still never sold the whole end out.

We continued with our rivalry with Newport, Rovers and Bristol City. They became Port Talbot and Neath Blues big rivals first before the rest of us really thought of them as in them days Cardiff just took the puss out of them.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:18 pm

First time I remember the jacks turning up in Cardiff was a welsh cup midweek game in 1975 I think it was. They had a mob of about 50 and made a half hearted attempt to get on the grange end, they didn't last long. Funny thing was, me and Boozy Bennett got hold of a couple of black and white scarfs with the idea of infiltrating the jacks mob. Trouble was a large group of city fans seen us first and despite our attempts to say we were Cardiff, they battered us. Never ever tried a daft trick like that again :lol:

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:44 pm

One of my earliest memories supporting the Bluebirds ,I was 8 years old standing up against the fence on the bob bank,what a strike :notworthy: .Didn't really see them as rivals then , Newport and Brizzle City were our local derbys

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:29 pm

I was there as a youngster and it remains one of my abiding memories of being a City supporter

It ranks alongside the trademark 'screamer' he scored to win in the 90th minute against Wrexham in the FA Cup (January 1977) when we had been clawed back from 2-2 after being 2-0 up

We had already beaten Spurs 1-0 at Ninian Park thanks to THAT Peter Sayer goal!

City were on a decent run of 'home' draws that season before losing out Everton in the 5th round...or do I mean Duncan MacKenzie and 10 hangers on? LOL :thumbup: :ayatollah: :laughing6:

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:33 pm

frazier wrote:First time I remember the jacks turning up in Cardiff was a welsh cup midweek game in 1975 I think it was. They had a mob of about 50 and made a half hearted attempt to get on the grange end, they didn't last long. Funny thing was, me and Boozy Bennett got hold of a couple of black and white scarfs with the idea of infiltrating the jacks mob. Trouble was a large group of city fans seen us first and despite our attempts to say we were Cardiff, they battered us. Never ever tried a daft trick like that again :lol:

Quality

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:32 pm

Me, what a brilliant day this was :bluebird:

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:40 am

Sven wrote:I was there as a youngster and it remains one of my abiding memories of being a City supporter

It ranks alongside the trademark 'screamer' he scored to win in the 90th minute against Wrexham in the FA Cup (January 1977) when we had been clawed back from 2-2 after being 2-0 up

City were on a decent run of 'home' draws that season before losing out Everton in the 5th round...or do I mean Duncan MacKenzie and 10 hangers on? LOL :thumbup: :ayatollah: :laughing6:

I remember that cup run very well, Chris.
I also remember that the BBC cameramen were on strike so actual footage of the Everton game is extremely rare I'd imagine. I'd love to sss highlights as our goal was an absolute cracker by the legend that was Tony Evans (still walks on water).
Even though I was a 15 year old whippersnapper I still remember the 'fun' on the Bob Bank and under the railway bridge after the game.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:20 am

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Sven wrote:I was there as a youngster and it remains one of my abiding memories of being a City supporter

I remember that cup run very well, Chris.
I also remember that the BBC cameramen were on strike so actual footage of the Everton game is extremely rare I'd imagine. I'd love to sss highlights as our goal was an absolute cracker by the legend that was Tony Evans (still walks on water).
Even though I was a 15 year old whippersnapper I still remember the 'fun' on the Bob Bank and under the railway bridge after the game.

Andrew, they were halcyon footballing days and Tony Evans was/remains a City legend who would likely flourish in today's footballing world. He had that much about him! :thumbup:

Maybe it was the excitement of youth but what we often forget (maybe reminisce on a little too much sometimes) are the shenanigans that all too frequently went on inside and outside the ground at that time. As teenagers we saw and were often dragged in to the middle of pitched battles and there were times it got pretty hairy. Large ballast stones being thrown from the railway bridges either end of Sloper Road were a regular occurrence

Thankfully, those crazy 'off-field' days have largely gone but a recent thread on here describing Scandinavian fans 'getting it on' as "enjoyable" just goes to show there are those out there who hanker for some kind of return to that mindless stuff...or at least watching from afar, which is probably their level ;) :(

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:17 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Who Rems This " John Buchanan " Over 21,000 Fans at Ninian Park :bluebird:
great player him hell of a shot on him too similar to the late Ronnie Bird :ayatollah:

Cardiff City v Swansea City

27th December 1980

Jacks were 2nd in the old second division and beating Cardiff City 1-3 at Ninian Park and then
Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOvrAXaZKfg :thumbright: :bluebird:

When that beauty of a shot went in, I went mental and so did thousands of other Cardiff fans. I've never forgotten that goal :bluebird: :bluebird:

I was stood on the corner of the Bob Bank near the Jacks and boy did I enjoy this :thumbup: :bluebird:

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:32 pm

Brilliant days :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:54 pm

if we're running down memory lane never tire of watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxNekjfR27o