Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Following on from John Buchanan thread.... "

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:33 pm

So many great memories, what are your top ten thrilling or memorable moments at either Ninian or Cardiff City Stadium ? Off the top of my head and in no particular order, I would say:

1. Brian Harris equaliser against Hamburg in 1968 Cup Winners Cup semi
2. Chopra's late winner against Jacks
3. Brian Clark's goal against Real Madrid
4. Chopra's brilliant hat-trick against Leicester. Think it might have been left foot, right foot and header
5. The atmosphere in the play-off final against Leicester. Pure electric, you could almost touch it
6. Buchanan's goal against the jacks
7. The Man City game in the Prem
8. Earnie's fantastic half volleyed goal against Stoke against the Dutch keeper Ed de Goey
9.The Leeds cup win, Scott Young's winner
10. Lastly a game against Leicester (again !) from late sixties poss 1970. The game finished 1-1 with a late equaliser from us. Sounds insignificant but it is the best sustained football I've ever seen from a City team. For great football, the 1-1 draw against West Brom during Jones' reign comes pretty close (think Kerrea Gilbert was playing)

Re: " Following on from John Buchanan thread.... "

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:37 pm

John Buchanan Jan 1977 last minute for 3-2 v Wrexham 4th round FA Cup after they had just equalised (Billy Ashcroft ?).

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Surely the charlton game and promotion to the premier league should be in the top 10 (unless you were not at the game of course)

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Rochdale away in the winter :banghead:

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:06 pm

I'm sure that Leicester game was on match of the day and Dave Carver scored for us

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:20 pm

Peter King's volley against Middlesbrough even though we lost 3-4.
Real Madrid - the build up all week and the match itself.
Scunthorpe away when we won the div 3 title.
Playing Hull at home during Toshack's days, 6-0 and 5-1 wins for us.
Alan Warboys scoring four goals in the first half hour (or even less) against Carlisle I think.
Playing West Ham at Ninian Park in the cup, eventually losing to two Geoff Hurst goals.
Beating Man City in the cup.
Beating Leeds in the cup.
Watching Brian Clarke scoring goals for fun.
Watching opposing strikers being stupid enough to try and run past Don Murray.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:24 pm

marketblue wrote:I'm sure that Leicester game was on match of the day and Dave Carver scored for us

I was thinking that Carver scored an own goal for them but you may be right

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:29 pm

thomasblue wrote:Surely the charlton game and promotion to the premier league should be in the top 10 (unless you were not at the game of course)

I was there and yes it was memorable but we were almost assured of promotion anyway and the game itself was crap. I was more excited over the Christmas period when we beat Palace and Forest. You had the feeling after those games that it really was going to be our season

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:36 pm

Grange End
Train away days
Man City - electric plus Blakeys goal
First/ last game at Ninian
Fridays debut 1977
Stant and Dale
Swansea away 1980 / first away game
Wolves 1 CCFC 4
Yellow/white stripe kit - the best ever.
1982/83 season - alot of fun

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:41 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:Peter King's volley against Middlesbrough even though we lost 3-4.
Alan Warboys scoring four goals in the first half hour (or even less) against Carlisle I think.
Playing West Ham at Ninian Park in the cup, eventually losing to two Geoff Hurst goals.

Steve, yes of course THAT goal from Peter King. If it had been scored in the Prem it would have been goal of the season every season. Peter King couldn't believe it when it flew in. Unfortunately we had a right numpty in goal that day, which was why we list.

I also remember Warboys 4 goals. Think he went off injured at half time.

Those hammerings we gave Hull, Bristol City and Oxford were peak performances in the late sixties, never to be repeated once Toshack was sold. There was also a fantastic 4-2 win against a very good QPR team that included Rodney Marsh in 1969.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:45 pm

2-0 vs Hereford. 39k crowd for floodlit match. Atmosphere on the grange that night was never achieved again in my opinion.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:49 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:Peter King's volley against Middlesbrough even though we lost 3-4.

Steve, yes of course THAT goal from Peter King. If it had been scored in the Prem it would have been goal of the season every season. Peter King couldn't believe it when it flew in. Unfortunately we had a right numpty in goal that day, which was why we list.

Those hammerings we gave Hull, Bristol City and Oxford were peak performances in the late sixties, never to be repeated once Toshack was sold. There was also a fantastic 4-2 win against a very good QPR team that included Rodney Marsh in 1969.

For some reason of all the goals I saw at Ninian Park, that's the one that sticks in my memory the most, even more than Clarke's goal against Real Madrid. Unfortunately, we had Frank Parsons in goal that day. Would have been better off playing without a keeper.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:54 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:

Steve, yes of course THAT goal from Peter King. If it had been scored in the Prem it would have been goal of the season every season. Peter King couldn't believe it when it flew in. Unfortunately we had a right numpty in goal that day, which was why we list.-An amazing game and l think Parsons was at fault for all four goals conceded,but the mad thing was he saved a penalty in between all those errors.

For some reason of all the goals I saw at Ninian Park, that's the one that sticks in my memory the most, even more than Clarke's goal against Real Madrid. Unfortunately, we had Frank Parsons in goal that day. Would have been better off playing without a keeper.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:06 pm

bluebirdkev wrote:John Buchanan Jan 1977 last minute for 3-2 v Wrexham 4th round FA Cup after they had just equalised (Billy Ashcroft ?).

One of my favourite and most memorable goals. I was close to tears when Wrexham equalised with just over a minute to go, then up pops Buchanan with another priceless goal. You are correct, it was Billy Ashcroft.

We had a great cup run that year beating Spurs in the previous round with that famous Peter Sayer goal, than losing to Everton 2-1 after going ahead early again through Tony Evans - who, if I remember correctly was on the front of the programme that day (it's in the attic somewhere). There was 35,582 for the Everton game. Great days and great memories. And as with many, my favourite kit too.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:44 pm

A great atmosphere at ninian park when Eddie Johnson scored against Doncaster but for emotions was when the final whistle went against Barnsley at Wembley and all those jokes about Cardiff City never getting to an FA cup final against me I knew I could walk up to those plastics and stick 2 fingers to them.

Also because all those plastic armchair Man U supporters who were telling me Man U were going to hammer us so when Kimbo scored that late equaliser meant a lot to me.

A great moment was when Koumas first came on for us against Leeds and scored the winner but the top of them is the play off final Andy Campbell

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:24 pm

Hereford United 1976
Watching Ian Gibson