Our Midfield Trio

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Our Midfield Trio

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Gunnarsson, Ralls and Damour.

For the first time in a long time, we had a midfield able to work collectively with the work rate and stamina to cover ground, cut off options and break up play.

For the first time in a long time, we had a midfield with the energy to carry the ball forwards with pace to drag opponents out of position and create openings.

Add the obvious individual qualities of all 3 players and our midfield trio has the perfect blend of everything required for our team to challenge for promotion this season.

As pleased as I was when we signed a player of Lee Tomlin's talent, I don't think we would have won so convincingly today if Tomlin started ahead of one of the other 3. I think our midfield trio today will become formidable and Tomlin will have to remain patient on the bench.

Then you add our front 3 of Hoilett, Mendez-Laing and Zohore. If these 6 players stay fit, I think we can look forward to a very exciting season. We looked so good today, it's scary!
Tonteg Bluebird

Our Midfield Trio

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Our Midfield Trio

Postby City Slicker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:29 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Gunnarsson, Ralls and Damour.

For the first time in a long time, we had a midfield able to work collectively with the work rate and stamina to cover ground, cut off options and break up play.

For the first time in a long time, we had a midfield with the energy to carry the ball forwards with pace to drag opponents out of position and create openings.

Add the obvious individual qualities of all 3 players and our midfield trio has the perfect blend of everything required for our team to challenge for promotion this season.

As pleased as I was when we signed a player of Lee Tomlin's talent, I don't think we would have won so convincingly today if Tomlin started ahead of one of the other 3. I think our midfield trio today will become formidable and Tomlin will have to remain patient on the bench.

Then you add our front 3 of Hoilett, Mendez-Laing and Zohore. If these 6 players stay fit, I think we can look forward to a very exciting season. We looked so good today, it's scary!

So very true! Midfield has been our Achilles Heel for umpteen seasons now. No more. This is a cohesive, efficient unit. Our failure in this area has finally been consigned to the past. Well done Warnock!
City Slicker

Re: Our Midfield Trio

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:48 pm

Ive always thought a manager needed to make more of Gunner and make him that holding player but today felt he was a little slow especially to the second ball. Not to say he didn't do a job but I expect more from him.

Ralls was excellent

Damour was brilliant although not the player I expected.

Interesting to see how tomlin fits in now
2blue2handle

Return to General Chat