Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Nathaniel Mendez-Laing '

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:16 am

The rise of Nathaniel Mendez-Laing: How Cardiff City's new hero turned his career around and will get better and better

By Chris Wathan

Monday 14th August 2017

From loan spells at Cambridge United and Shrewsbury Town, to terrorising an Aston Villa defence full of seasoned internationals; it has been some turnaround for Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.

Especially considering the man known simply as 'Mendez' arrived at Cardiff City two months ago with no great fanfare.

His free transfer this summer, following two half-decent seasons with Rochdale, wasn't celebrated like the subsequent arrivals of Lee Tomlin and Danny Ward.

'Who's this guy?' some fans were asking. No doubt they Googled his modest record — getting in even before Danny Rose!

But they know his name now, alright. Mendez has three goals as many Bluebirds appearances and has quickly etched his name in Warnock's promotion plans.

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing is challenged by Glenn Whelan (Image: Huw Evans Picture Agency)
But how did we get here?

This is story of Mendez-Laing's rise: the early promise of his Wolverhampton youth, how his career once hung by a thread and how the feted Warnock magic is working yet again.

A raw talent

Ask anyone who saw Mendez-Laing as an academy prospect at Wolves and they will no doubt recall the winger's obvious ability.

He featured for England at Under-16 and Under-17 level. He'd even made his first team debut under Mick McCarthy in a 2009 League Cup tie, signing a professional contract with the Molineux club.

The challenge for the coaches was to turn Mendez-Laing's talent into consistent performances.

Yet at a club bouncing between Premier League and Championship, Mendez-Laing was deemed unready. He was sent to Peterborough United and Sheffield United on loan.

Mendez-Laing as a Wolves teenager, on his professional debut for Wolves

Former Wolves striker Chris Iwelumo recalled how the club never quite saw the wide man's best form. But he wasn't surprised to see Mendez now thriving in the Championship.

"The penny has finally dropped with him," said Iwelumo. "He was a young boy at Wolves when I was there and you could see the quality but it just wasn't consistent.

"And he's done what a lot of players do, they go down the levels and it sinks in. They know the qualities they've got and he's delivering."

Losing his way

Mendez-Laing scored nine goals in 30 league starts for Peterborough across two spells, initially on loan and then after a £100,000 deal that took him away from his West Midlands home.

But a mixture of injury and ill-discipline led Posh manager Darren Ferguson to jettison Mendez-Laing from his plans. The winger had been caught up in a city centre disturbance that left him in footballing limbo.

Ferguson eventually welcomed him back, following a loan spell at Portsmouth, saying:"I don't bear grudges. Mendez-Laing is back at the club and it's now up to me and the coaching staff to get the best out of him. He clearly has ability, but he must also now knuckle down and do all he can to help this team."

However, more injury set-backs meant Mendez-Laing failed to break back into the Posh team on a regular basis and he left London Road in August 2015.

He'd spent much of the 2014/15 campaign out on loan, first with Shrewsbury — a stint cut short by injury — and then at Cambridge, where he enjoyed some individual success.

A Rochdale revival (of sorts)

Following Mendez-Laing's release from Peterborough, it was a move to League One Rochdale that started to put him back on track.

Manager Keith Hill has been a steadying hand with Dale since 2013 and quickly extracted some performances from the talented winger.

Hill, who played under Warnock at Plymouth in the 1990s, was then happy to see the Bluebirds' boss state his interest in Mendez-Laing after two years at Spotland yielded 15 goals from 48 league starts — 10 of those coming last season.

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing (left) in action against Oldham (Image: Manchester Evening News)
"He's had an up-and-down career, it fell away a little bit and my old player Keith Hill got him back on line at Rochdale," said Warnock.

"I spoke to Hilly and he said 'I'm glad he's coming with you, gaffer, it's just what he needs'."

Warnock an 'ideal' influence

Hill's words have proven prophetic.

Because in the same way Kenneth Zohore emerged from nowhere to lead the Cardiff line last season, the new winger looks like becoming this season's diamond from th rough, polished by Warnock.

Like the Dane, the manager's influence is paramount to Mendez-Laing's progress.

Neil Warnock gives instructions to Nathaniel Mendez-Laing of Cardiff City. (Image: Huw Evans Picture Agency)
Speaking after his two-goal performance to sink Villa, Mendez-Laing spoke about Warnock's advice.

"He's my ideal type of manager," he said.

"He's very talkative, tells me where I'm going wrong and what I can improve on. When I first came here we had a conversation and it's very inspiring what he says to me. So I want to do well for him as well as myself.

"It's been perfect for me. I maybe didn't go the way I should've gone at a young age but hopefully this is the turning point.

"The manager at Rochdale was very similar and got me focused. I did well there and thankfully I've got another manager who's similar.

"To see the players (Warnock) has done that with, the number of times he's gone up, it all rolls into one.

"I think 'wow' he obviously knows what he's doing and I need to listen and take it on board. We just click."

The two-goal Villa show

Netting two very different goals in Cardiff's 3-0 win over Aston Villa, Mendez-Laing showed the full range of his abilities.

Not only does he possess extraordinary strength and stature, displayed in the first goal as he towered over Taylor at the back post to head home Zohore's cross — he's also brilliantly quick over the ground.

Mendez-Laing curls home the third for Cardiff against Villa (Image: Huw Evans Picture Agency)
Time and time again he tore past Chester, leaving Terry leaden-footed in curling home a stunning second. It secured the points for Cardiff and secured Mendez-Laing a first team place that he was by no means guaranteed when he signed for Warnock.

His early season performances have laid down the gauntlet to Tomlin, Ward and the injured Kadeem Harris. For a player expected to be nothing more than a useful squad player, it's refreshing to see and creates healthy competition in the Bluebirds ranks.

Reaping more rewards at Cardiff

The key for Mendez-Laing now is continuing to hit those levels of consistency, starting when the Bluebirds host Sheffield United on Tuesday night.

Clearly emboldened by Warnock and thriving on this red-hot form, the former Wolves prodigy is confident he can.

"I know what I'm capable of doing when I'm on the football field," he said.

"I'm hungry now and there were times when it was slipping away. But I worked hard, got myself back up on my feet and I haven't looked back."

"He's listened," said Warnock when asked if he could explain Mendez-Laing's unexpected rise.

"I spent quite a lot of time with him and I think he's got something to prove.

"And I think he's enjoying it. If you can get him enjoying it and working hard, his teammates accept it. We saw a vintage Hoilett on the other side (against Villa) and that brought the best of out him, and with Ken up front it was quite a force."

Mendez-Laing is quite a force indeed right now. And he's had quite a start to his Cardiff career.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Nathaniel Mendez-Laing '

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:32 am

It's early days yet and I don't want to get carried away but what has Warnock unearthed? Different player and different role granted, but in terms of effectiveness, could he be our Taraabt?

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:59 am

City Slicker wrote:It's early days yet and I don't want to get carried away but what has Warnock unearthed? Different player and different role granted, but in terms of effectiveness, could he be our Taraabt?

Exactly

He was fantastic but its very early days to be talking like hes made it at this level.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:13 am

City Slicker wrote:It's early days yet and I don't want to get carried away but what has Warnock unearthed? Different player and different role granted, but in terms of effectiveness, could he be our Taraabt?

In what way could he be our taraabt when he's a completely different type of player?

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:43 am

nubbsy wrote:

In what way could he be our taraabt when he's a completely different type of player?

I was thinking the same! taraabt was unbelievable in that one season for QPR but he has no pace and stood in the same spot for most games.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:54 am

nubbsy wrote:

I think it's a metaphorical resemblance. Mendez-Laing and Taraabt have different styles on the pitch but both seem to be bad boys made good under Warnock's guidance.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Far to early to be judging him at the moment.

A lot of our fans love to built up a player just to knock them down again.

Certainly a different type of player to what we had last season and gives us another option.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:26 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Far to early to be judging him at the moment.

A lot of our fans love to built up a player just to knock them down again.

Certainly a different type of player to what we had last season and gives us another option.

He certainly does give us other options one being his prowess in the air. I can see a lot of crosses going into the far post this season where M-L will have height advantage on many full backs :idea:

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:07 pm

nubbsy wrote:

Easy, I've already stated that! He could be our Taraabt in the way he influences the outcome of a game. They don't have to be identical players to achieve that.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:08 pm

paulh_85 wrote:

Exactly

He was fantastic but its very early days to be talking like hes made it at this level.

As I said myself, early days but we'll find out soon enough

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:19 pm

As I said in another thread, I watched this player when he was aged 8 up to 14, without realising that he now played professional football. He was always big, strong and rapid and always played through the middle rather than out wide - I'd guess he won't be your typical 4-4-2 type of winger but could be ideal in 4-3-3.

I remember someone telling me just after he'd gone into Wolves academy aged around 14 that his mum had moved to America but he'd stayed behind, to try to make the grade as a player. I remember thinking that was a tad optimistic at the time but hats off to him - it's paid off.

I personally wonder if a player will suddenly come good at 25 and also suspect that he would have been fired up, playing against what was a local team of his. I also think that almost anyone would benefit by playing alongside Zohore (if Saturday was anything to go by). For me, I think if Zohore continues like that, it will be impossible for you to keep him. That in turn will have a knock on effect on Hoilet and Laing.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:27 pm

AV3 wrote:As I said in another thread, I watched this player when he was aged 8 up to 14, without realising that he now played professional football. He was always big, strong and rapid and always played through the middle rather than out wide - I'd guess he won't be your typical 4-4-2 type of winger but could be ideal in 4-3-3.

I remember someone telling me just after he'd gone into Wolves academy aged around 14 that his mum had moved to America but he'd stayed behind, to try to make the grade as a player. I remember thinking that was a tad optimistic at the time but hats off to him - it's paid off.

I personally wonder if a player will suddenly come good at 25 and also suspect that he would have been fired up, playing against what was a local team of his. I also think that almost anyone would benefit by playing alongside Zohore (if Saturday was anything to go by). For me, I think if Zohore continues like that, it will be impossible for you to keep him. That in turn will have a knock on effect on Hoilet and Laing.

By the way, what's the general consensus of Villa fans on Steve Bruce now? Will they be patient with him and is there any lingering resentment that he was a Bluenose ex manager?

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:43 pm

The Bluenose thing is not really an issue.

Nobody I spoke with in the lead up to the new season had high hopes of us succeeding under Bruce. Many now want him gone (myself included). I doubt they will be patient and usually, when our fans turn, it is only a matter of time before the manager is sacked. The one saving grace for Bruce is that there are few alternatives about. There is Dean Smith at Brentford who is a Villa fan or Karanka (IMO). Both of whom would be gambles. The Fulham manager apparently has a £5mil release clause which prices him out.

Bruce has been in charge for 39 games and we have only scored more than 1 goal in around 8 of these. The football is appalling and results haven't been great. It isn't about two games this season, it is about the entire 39 played under Bruce and the fact that we are no further forward. than when he joined.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:56 pm

AV3 wrote:The Bluenose thing is not really an issue.

Nobody I spoke with in the lead up to the new season had high hopes of us succeeding under Bruce. Many now want him gone (myself included). I doubt they will be patient and usually, when our fans turn, it is only a matter of time before the manager is sacked. The one saving grace for Bruce is that there are few alternatives about. There is Dean Smith at Brentford who is a Villa fan or Karanka (IMO). Both of whom would be gambles. The Fulham manager apparently has a £5mil release clause which prices him out.

Bruce has been in charge for 39 games and we have only scored more than 1 goal in around 8 of these. The football is appalling and results haven't been great. It isn't about two games this season, it is about the entire 39 played under Bruce and the fact that we are no further forward. than when he joined.

Yes it's not easy to get the right manager in this division. Lord knows we've tried several times and cocked up big time. But I think we're on the right track now. Villa being a massive club I have no doubt you'll get it right. You lot deserve to be back in the Premier.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:30 am

Imagine a 442 with Mendes- Laing up top with Zohore and Hoillet and Harris on the wings!!

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:54 pm

Great signing :bluebird: