' Neil Warnock's dilemmas '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:39 pm

Neil Warnock's selection dilemmas: The small changes Cardiff City boss might make against Sheffield United

By Michael Jones

Cardiff v Sheffield United - Match Preview

Monday 14th August 2017

Neil Warnock faces a selection headache as his side prepares to face Sheffield United on Tuesday night.

Ideally, the veteran boss won't want to drop any of the starting XI that emphatically dispatched of promotion-favourites Aston Villa, but Warnock will be weary of burning out his players, and will look to draw upon the host of talent waiting in the ranks.

Tomlin in for a midfielder?

Warnock's midfield trio of Joe Ralls, Aron Gunnarsson and Loic Damour worked in perfect harmony against Villa, as Damour's class on the ball dovetailed with the industry and fight of Ralls and Gunnarsson. This is perhaps the toughest decision facing Warnock: does he stick with a midfield three or bring in the creative flair of Lee Tomlin?

Cardiff will be expected to have the lion's share of possession and are likely to face a resilient and compact Blades' defence.

With this in mind, Warnock may be tempted to drop one of the aforementioned three in preference for a player who has the rare quality to unlock organised defences with a cutting pass or enigmatic piece of skill.

None of the three who started against Villa deserve to be dropped, but Warnock may have to make this toughest of calls if he is to guide the Bluebirds to three successive Championship wins.

Manga to return in back three?

A start for Tomlin — who is not a natural wide man — might signal a return to the 3-5-2 formation that Warnock deployed in City's opening day victory over Burton Albion, for 65 minutes at least. Manga's exclusion from the starting line-up was Saturday's surprise as Warnock opted for four at the back against Steve Bruce's side.

The Gabon international could also return in place of Sol Bamba who was selected for the Villa clash because of his no-nonsense defensive play.

In a game where Cardiff will look to dictate the tempo, however, Manga's composed play out from the back might warrant a selection over Bamba, despite the Ivorian's eye-catching display versus Villa.

A first league start for Danny Ward?

The £1.6 million man has yet to start a league game under Warnock, but has impressed when coming off the bench. Warnock will not want to drop Nathaniel Mendez-Laing after his immense display on Saturday, but could potentially rest Junior Hoilett.

The Canadian has not had a full summer break because of his involvement in the Gold Cup over the summer, where he inspired his country to the quarter-finals. Ward perhaps isn't as quick as Hoilett, but the former Rotherham man more than makes up for it with his industry and beguiling movement.

Ward will be raring to go and the Sheffield United clash could be a perfect opportunity to unleash to crafty forward on the left side of a front three.

Richards to replace Bennett?

Joe Bennett will have enjoyed Cardiff's victory on Saturday more than most after his ignominious exit from the midlands club. Dampening his joy though, the ex-Villa man limped off midway through the second half and looked to have picked up an injury.

With Warnock keen to avoid long-term damage to his buccaneering full-back and Bennett a midweek doubt, Jazz Richards may come into the side. The Welshman is a reliable replacement and would have perhaps felt a little unlucky not to have been starting after a promising end to last season.
Attachments
4221396001_5540572493001_5540561014001-vs.jpg
4221396001_5540572493001_5540561014001-vs.jpg (121.01 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ' Neil Warnock's dilemmas '

Postby noisycat » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:55 pm

Not for a long time,have we had these kind of problems where the decision is to stick with a winning team or make changes and also what formation do we start with?
noisycat

Postby Steve Zodiak » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:05 pm

Burning out players two weeks into the season!
Steve Zodiak

Postby The Cobra » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:Burning out players two weeks into the season!

To be fair JH and Ken have hardly had any break!
The Cobra

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:26 pm

The Cobra wrote:

We have a stronger squad this year and changing 3/4 players will not weaken the team this season...also we have got a huge game on Saturday so although it makes sense to keep a winning team, I fully understand if a few changes are made
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby Charlie Harper » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:45 pm

The Cobra wrote:

Tell theses footballers to work 12 hour shifts and then they would know what tired is. I just don't buy this
Mad bad and dangerous to know
Charlie Harper

Postby Charlie Harper » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:46 pm

The Cobra wrote:

Tell theses footballers to work 12 hour shifts and then they would know what tired is. I just don't buy this
Charlie Harper

Postby Charlie Harper » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:46 pm

The Cobra wrote:

Charlie Harper

Postby The Cobra » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:06 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:
The Cobra wrote:

Totally different scenario, I work long days, often 7 days a week, played football at a decent level and it takes it out of you, games every few days, body takes knocks, unlike most jobs!
The Cobra

Postby Steve Zodiak » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:
The Cobra wrote:

They probably have not had a particularly long break, but more than likely a longer break than most of the fans on this forum have had. I doubt if many of us on here are earning anywhere close to what they earn either. Makes you wonder how they would have coped if we were still only allowed one sub on matchday, and if we were still playing Welsh Cup and European Cup Winners Cup games on top of the three domestic English competitions. I think it is far too early in the season to be worried about over working pampered overpaid footballers and when I was young enough to still be playing, I wanted to play virtually all the time after being away for a while during the Summer. With modern training and medical facilities, we should be more than capable of sticking with a winning side after just two league games.
Steve Zodiak

Postby phildavies » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:51 pm

The Cobra wrote:
Charlie Harper wrote:
The Cobra wrote:

Totally different scenario, I work long days, often 7 days a week, played football at a decent level and it takes it out of you, games every few days, body takes knocks, unlike most jobs!

And yet Tennis players can play for hours on end day after day as do people in many other sports let's just face the fact that footballers really are over protected when it comes to this whole "tired" idea that people come out with about the fact they have to play a maximum of 3 games a week usually less.
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:56 pm

We have got to keep an unchanged team, nobody deserves to get dropped and when you're playing well and brimming with confidence, you don't feel tiredness, you just can't wait for the next game.

Not sure if Bennett will be available, but one thing nobody has mentioned is Peltier left the stadium on crutches. He played the full game so hopefully, it's just a precaution.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby pontlliwblue » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:05 pm

Saw him leaving on the crutches . He said it was his ankle again but hoped it wasn't too bad.
pontlliwblue

Postby Charlie Harper » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:27 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:We have got to keep an unchanged team, nobody deserves to get dropped and when you're playing well and brimming with confidence, you don't feel tiredness, you just can't wait for the next game.

Not sure if Bennett will be available, but one thing nobody has mentioned is Peltier left the stadium on crutches. He played the full game so hopefully, it's just a precaution.

You are right in the fact that nobody deserves to be dropped, but I think NW will pick a team to play against SHeffield United and it may be different to the Villa game.
Also against Wolves I bet he plays Manga, Bamba and Morrisin as it will be a little more cautious.
Charlie Harper

Postby Tonteg Bluebird » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:59 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:We have got to keep an unchanged team, nobody deserves to get dropped and when you're playing well and brimming with confidence, you don't feel tiredness, you just can't wait for the next game.

You are right in the fact that nobody deserves to be dropped, but I think NW will pick a team to play against SHeffield United and it may be different to the Villa game.
Also against Wolves I bet he plays Manga, Bamba and Morrisin as it will be a little more cautious.

I think you're right Sheffield United will be a completely different game to Villa. They won't give us anywhere near the space Villa gave us, they've scored 1 and conceded 1 in their first 2 games, they have a good manager, they will come with a game plan, frustrate us, get in our faces and it wouldn't surprise me if it turns into a tight, scrappy game.

Warnock will know what to expect. Personally, I would keep the same starting 11 if everyone is fit and if it reaches around the 70 minute mark and it's still 0-0, we can bring Tomlin on to try and unlock them.
Tonteg Bluebird

Postby Blue_Barber » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:27 am

Burning players out? It's three games into the season!!

I see Tomlin as an attacking midfielder who's been brought in to create for Zohore, I'd imagine Manga will come in to a back three and Richards in for Bennett which is unfortunate because I think Bennett and Richards on the flanks is more dynamic
Blue_Barber

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:11 pm

phildavies wrote:
The Cobra wrote:
Charlie Harper wrote:
The Cobra wrote:

And yet Tennis players can play for hours on end day after day as do people in many other sports let's just face the fact that footballers really are over protected when it comes to this whole "tired" idea that people come out with about the fact they have to play a maximum of 3 games a week usually less.

Footballers fitness and availability is often governed by the medical science team who monitor all aspects of a players physical well being quite often it's them that will say player shouldn't play as risk of injury or tiredness! Tennis players have access to lots facilities but not as comprehensive and as often, plus playing football is different to tennis :old:
pembroke allan

Postby phildavies » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:01 am

pembroke allan wrote:
phildavies wrote:
The Cobra wrote:
Charlie Harper wrote:
The Cobra wrote:

Footballers fitness and availability is often governed by the medical science team who monitor all aspects of a players physical well being quite often it's them that will say player shouldn't play as risk of injury or tiredness! Tennis players have access to lots facilities but not as comprehensive and as often, plus playing football is different to tennis :old:

Yes it requires a far lower level of fitness to be a good player as for this risk of tiredness hillocks if was a manager and my players were not tired after the game I would be a bit concerned with their commitment on the pitch.
city till i die.............................................

Trying to combat the underrating of our own players and overestimating of other teams on this board
phildavies

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:43 am

phildavies wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
phildavies wrote:
The Cobra wrote:
Charlie Harper wrote:
The Cobra wrote:

Yes it requires a far lower level of fitness to be a good player as for this risk of tiredness hillocks if was a manager and my players were not tired after the game I would be a bit concerned with their commitment on the pitch.

So would I be concerned! Going back to tennis fitness, there are around 6 top players out injured at this time majority seem to be with Worn out bits, hence why medical science is used extensively in football to stop this happening. :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Return to General Chat