Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Sheffield Utd Fan Says his Version of the Trouble at Boro

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:18 pm

Boro v Blades

August 15, 2017

By Mart Wes

"Whilst at the front I personally saw a police officer violently push back an elderly grey-haired man,who had done nothing wrong"

The news and media outlets on Twitter have been more than happy to publish inaccuracies regarding what went on last night in and out of the Riverside stadium. Boro's own fans have also been very active painting Sheffield United fans in a unsavoury manner whilst believing they were totally uninvolved.

So here is an honest view from someone who was there.

The match had passed without incident, until the linesman ruled out the Blades 92nd minute equaliser. We were going mental with joy, as based on our second half performance, we deserved something out of the game. Whilst we were stood in bemusement at the decision, Boro fans took great delight in goading us and taking the piss, ultimately knowing they had received 2 more points than they deserved.

This is was the trigger point for some Blades and some Middlesbrough supporters to try and reach other, but in their way was two lots of segregation netting. Never the less the Blades were very persistent and were only stopped by the stewards and police.

The police using common sense, and just pushing/pulling them away rather than arresting them. A couple of plastic pop bottles, and a coin were thrown at United's fans. The final whistle went, and after showing our respect to our players and manager, the travelling contingent made their way to the exits, feeling robbed I'm guessing, because that is how we felt.

Once outside the stadium, we saw the route we came towards the ground was blocked off, and that we we had no choice but to walk towards the main road, enclosed both sides by steel fencing. After walking through the majority of other Blades fans, my dad and myself got to the front, only to discover we were in fact being held back by two lines of police.

Whilst at the front I personally saw a police officer violently push back an elderly grey-haired man who had done nothing wrong, luckily he remained fully-balanced and didn't fall over. Also they were purposely directing two barking police dogs towards us on fully extended leads. Behind the two rows of police there was, I would estimate 300+ Boro fans stood about trying to antagonise the situation even more. This straight away reminded me of Port Vale last season where the same thing happened: police holding us outside for no reason, whilst the local tramps tried to look menacing.

Articles began to come flying over from the Boro section, who had no interest in going home, and who were stood there trying to look intimidating (emphasis on trying). I personally saw two full Coke bottles come flying behind towards the Blades fans, then a green cigarette lighter and tree branch landed within 3 feet of me.
I don't lie or hide facts, the Coke bottles did get launched back towards the Boro gathering and there was a scuffle in the car park opposite, behind the fence, all grown men who were more than happy to be involved, lasting no more than 15 seconds before the authorities split it up.

After this it seemed the police had gained some control, only for them to steam in to the away fans who hadn't got as far forward as us, hitting one Blade with a truncheon and dragging him to the floor. Then one officer punched him in the chest, placed his elbow and weight across his neck, then gave a sharp knee in to his back. Totally uncalled for. Then straight after the police dog had hold of another Blades fans leg, bringing him to the ground, before he too was arrested. Considering these were two Blades, stood with other Blades, this seemed unnecessary. One of my mates (Chelsea fan) then txt me to see he watched the game on Sky, and that there was nothing wrong with our goal and it was actually an own goal! What a sickener. I saw it this morning on Channel 5, and yep, we were robbed.

In between all this, Boro fans have continually slagged off Sheffield United supporters on Twitter, called us scum and made allegations that a 10-year-old was injured, families and disabled fans attacked etc... Blades throwing bricks? We had buses behind us, fencing both sides, and coppers in front - where did these mysterious bricks come from? Or did it just not happen...

Considering every man and his dog (I thought the addition of the dog was appropriate seeing as there was two of them there) have smart phones, and the attendance was 26,000, there has been no photos or videos of said people being attacked? It does make them sound totally blameless though doesn't it, and this is the path the media have followed. Most of them weren't even there and have just copied an article from the local Middlesbrough Gazette!

One of the local Middlesbrough journalists has even stated: "Violent scenes erupting outside of the Riverside. Aggressive behaviour from Sheff Utd fans, throwing missiles and punches galore."
Again, making no reference to the Middlesbrough element that had no need to be stood waiting where the police wanted opposing fans to exit.
Had they not been there, and the police had allowed people free movement, I believe none of this would have happened.

BBC News: "200 involved in a brawl, 5 arrested."

Did anyone else see 200 fans going at it, as I didn't? Also if this had occurred would the police really have let 195 walk away. Of course not.

This morning I have had two reporters from ITV Tyne Tees ask to use my video in their local news broadcast for later today. I responded with if you include the part where the Blade fan was assaulted by the police.

If, and indeed if, a child was hurt then I do condemn that.

But overall, it seems to me a mass over reaction towards Sheffield United FC and to tarnish 2,100 travelling supporters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Sheffield Utd Fan Says his Version of the Trouble at Bo

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:20 pm

PICS/VIDEOS
Link
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=186990
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:21 pm

2,142 Sheffield United fans away at Boro on Saturday night live on tv

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:22 pm

Boro Fans

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:24 pm

Sheffield United Fans