A forum for all things Cardiff City

MATCH THREAD " WOLVES v CARDIFF CITY " MATCH THREAD

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:00 pm

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS v CARDIFF CITY
Saturday 19th August 2017, 3pm
SkyBet Championship
Molineux Stadium

Cardiff City
Neil Etheridge Lee Peltier Sean Morrison Sol Bamba Jazz Richards Joe Ralls Aron Gunnarsson Loic Damour Junior Hoilett Nathaniel Mendez-Laing Kenneth Zohore

Subs Brian Murphy Bruno Manga Greg Halford Matthew Kennedy Lee Tomlin Danny Ward Omar Bogle

18/08/17

1,450 City tickets sold incl 50 comps

Jo Bennett still injured

Kenneth Zohore to start for the Bluebirds :bluebird:

Some injury news on Camp and Paterson

Neil Warnock:

"They’re both training really hard. Paterson, I spoke to him yesterday, he’s enjoying watching us I mentioned to him he can’t wait to get his boots back on. Both players are doing well."

Costa's definately out injured for Wolves.

17/08/17

City have so far sold 1,380 tickets (Allocation 2,750)

CARDIFF HAVE 2,500 TICKETS / NO RESTRICTIONS & TOP OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP :thumbright: :bluebird:

IMG_2178.JPG

About Wolverhampton Wanderers

Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club (commonly referred to as Wolves) is a professional association football club based in the city of Wolverhampton, West Midlands. The club was originally known as St. Luke's FC and was founded in 1877 and since 1889 has played at Molineux. They compete in the Championship, the second highest tier of English football, having been promoted from League One in 2014 after a solitary season at that level.

Historically, Wolves have been highly influential, most notably as being founder members of the Football League, as well as having played an instrumental role in the establishment of the European Cup, later to become the UEFA Champions League. Having won the FA Cup twice before the outbreak of the First World War, they developed into one of England's leading clubs under the management of ex-player Stan Cullis after the Second World War, going on to win the league three times and the FA Cup twice more between 1949 and 1960. It was during this time that the European Cup competition was established, after the English press declared Wolves "Champions of the World" following their victories against numerous top European and World sides in some of British football's first live televised games.

Wolves have yet to match the successes of the Stan Cullis era, although, under Bill McGarry, they contested the first-ever UEFA Cup final in 1972 and won the 1974 League Cup, a trophy they lifted again six years later under John Barnwell. However, financial mismanagement in the 1980s led to the club's very existence being under threat as well as three consecutive relegations, before a revival and back-to-back promotions under manager Graham Turner and record goalscorer Steve Bull saw them finish the decade in the Second Division, winning the Football League Trophy along the way.

Despite the financial backing of then-owner Sir Jack Hayward during the next decade, they were unable to regain a place in the top flight until 2003, when manager Dave Jones ended their nineteen-year exile but only for a solitary Premier League season. The club returned for a three-year stay at the top level after Mick McCarthy led them back as Football League Championship champions in 2009, but his dismissal in 2012 preceded relegation back to the Championship. The following season saw two further managers dismissed as the club then suffered a second relegation, ending up in League One. However, in the following season they gained promotion back to the Championship where they currently reside. In July 2016, the club was taken over by the Chinese investment group Fosun International.

Team News - Predicted Line-Ups

Cardiff City: Etheridge, Manga, Morrison, Bamba, Richards, Ralls, Gunnarsson, Tomlin, Hoilett, Mendez-Laing, Zohore

Wolves: Ruddy, Miranda, Coady, Boly, Doherty, Saiss, Neves, Douglas, Enobakhare, Maia, Teixeira

Form - Last Three Games

Hull City 1-3 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Derby County 0-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-0 Yeovil Town

Cardiff City 2-0 Sheffield United
Cardiff City 3-0 Aston Villa
Cardiff City 2-1 Portsmouth (AET)

Match Odds

Wolves - EVS
Cardiff City - 11/4
Draw - 12/5

Predictions

Post your predictions below :thumbright:

Don't forget to vote for your Man of the Match after the game. That poll will be posted on this forum at full time :thumbright:

Re: LATEST NEWS " WOLVES v CARDIFF CITY " MATCH THREAD

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:01 pm

Difficult game I think 2-3 city,

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:05 pm

CARDIFF HAVE 2,500 TICKETS / NO RESTRICTIONS & TOP OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP :thumbright: :bluebird:

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:06 pm

Wolves 2 City 2 :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:07 pm

A draw would be an amazing result against this lot. I think Wolves have the quality to break our defence down but also looked a bit leaky at the back tonight against Hull.

1-1 for me. But a win I think will make us "the team to beat"

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:31 pm

:bluebird: ' TOP OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP CLASH ' :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:42 pm

I'm encouraged Hull seemed to have so many chances against Wolves tonight and scored 2 goals against them.

I fancy us, Wolves will probably have most of the possession but they will play into our hands and leave space for us to use our pace on the break. I can see our front 3 getting a lot of joy and I think we will score there.

Another clean sheet will be a huge ask though, especially if both our full backs are still out. My heart says 3-1 to us, but my head says an entertaining 2-2 draw.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:10 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:I'm encouraged Hull seemed to have so many chances against Wolves tonight and scored 2 goals against them.

I fancy us, Wolves will probably have most of the possession but they will play into our hands and leave space for us to use our pace on the break. I can see our front 3 getting a lot of joy and I think we will score there.

Another clean sheet will be a huge ask though, especially if both our full backs are still out. My heart says 3-1 to us, but my head says an entertaining 2-2 draw.

id take either of those results right now..
or both...4pts. :lol:

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:51 am

2-1 city :bluescarf:

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:20 am

I'm predicting a 20k + crowd for the QPR game if we avoid defeat to wolves. And that's inspite of QPR's inevitable poor following

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:26 pm

Wolves defence didn't look great v. Hull, but they are superb going forward. Damour on Neves will be vital, but we must exploit their wariness on set-pieces.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:14 pm

I'm predicting Wolves 2-2 Cardiff. We may lose this but a draw would be brilliant and a win outstanding! :occasion5: :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:29 pm

17/08/17

City have so far sold 1,310 tickets (Allocation 2,500)

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:41 pm

Forever Blue wrote:17/08/17

City have so far sold 1,310 tickets (Allocation 2,500)

Would have expected more to be sold. One of the shorter away trips and 3 wins out of 3 in the league. Hopefully more people decide to go before Saturday!

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:06 pm

Both teams have surprised everyone, i would take a draw, so 1 all :bluescarf:

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 pm

As I said earlier I think everyone including the players would have thought 8 points would be a good return from our opening four games. Already on 9 points, so confidence will be high and players should be able to play without too much pressure on them. Have a funny feeling about this one and I think there could be a surprise score here. I am going Wolves 1-4 Cardiff.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:13 am

If your heading for the short journey to Wolves tomorrow to watch the Mighty Bluebirds

Wolves:

Heading for another decent Molineux crowd tomorrow. Fans encouraged to arrive early to avoid any congestion on entry to stadium.

Cardiff City sold over 1,300 (Allocation 2,500)

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:21 am

WOLVES SUMMER SIGNING 2017-18

Ruben Neves

Roderick Miranda

Barry Douglas

John Ruddy

Phil Ofosu-Ayeh

Ryan Bennett

Willy Boly (loan)

Will Norris

Leo Bonatini (loan)

Diogo Jota (loan)

Ruben Vinagre (loan)

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:24 am

Crowd tomorrow

Looks like it should be a Great atmosphere at Molineux tomorrow afternoon!

27,000 plus crowd expected including 1,400 Bluebirds ( Bluebirds have 2,500 tickets)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:37 am

Why is there such a buzz around Wolves?

Ryan Leister, Wolves expert"

"This may sound over the top, but in the opening three league games I’ve never seen Wolves play football like this.
Nuno Santo has come in with a total football philosophy and Wolves have been almost unrecognisable from last season."

"Lots of praise has gone the way of Ruben Neves and don’t get me wrong, he deserves it, but the good start has come because Wolves have played so well as a team."

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:07 am

Betting odds

Wolves win 21/20

Cardiff win 3/1

Draw 5/2

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:33 am

A41 shut use junction 1 m5 come in Birmingham new road or junction 10 m6 it'll be very busy this way!

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:27 pm

On big spending Wolves

NEIL WARNOCK:

"If the club want to spend money like them - 55million, 60million? - it will be a good test."

"We’re not going in awe of them. I’m hoping we’re better prepared than last year. It will be a fabulous crowd and a great stadium to get the atmosphere. They’ve not had a lot to shout about of late but maybe this is their year."

"I don’t envy Wolves, we worry about ourselves, we’ve gone about it differently."

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:30 pm

Jo Bennett still injured

Kenneth Zohore to start for the Bluebirds :bluebird:

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:31 pm

Some injury news on Camp and Paterson

Neil Warnock:

"They’re both training really hard. Paterson, I spoke to him yesterday, he’s enjoying watching us I mentioned to him he can’t wait to get his boots back on. Both players are doing well."

Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:09 pm

1,450 City tickets sold incl 50 comps

Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:11 pm

The Steve Bull Stand houses travelling fans, within the lower tier alongside the pitch. The away end has a capacity of around 2,750. Also, the Stan Cullis Quadrant is also used as an away end on some occasions. Turnstiles open ninety minutes before kick-off, and supporters are advised that if for any reason tickets need to be collected on the day there will be a designated away ticket collection point – contact the club Ticket Office with any further queries.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:24 pm

0-2 city .. Gunnar & Hoilett the goal scorers :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:32 pm

A win would be fantastic but I think we'll get a score draw. I'd be happy to come away with a point.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:56 pm

Wolves 2 City 3

Zohore 2, Tomlin