Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

TOMLIN........???

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:59 pm

Not sure, me. I hope I am wrong but I can't see where he fits naturally into this team. Add to that, he STILL looks unfit!!

We were crying out for Loic Damour to replace him tonight and things looked better again then.

There is pace in our team for a change and for all his tricks and touches, he seems a luxury player to me.

And Danny Ward looks unlucky not to get in, methinks. He looks determined to impress.

Re: TOMLIN........???

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:01 pm

City in Cwmbran wrote:Not sure, me. I hope I am wrong but I can't see where he fits naturally into this team. Add to that, he STILL looks unfit!!

We were crying out for Loic Damour to replace him tonight and things looked better again then.

There is pace in our team for a change and for all his tricks and touches, he seems a luxury player to me.

And Danny Ward looks unlucky not to get in, methinks. He looks determined to impress.

Dont think he looked unfit. Brought lots of energy to the midfield and attacking areas, trying to replicate Damour's performance.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:17 pm

I thought he was superb, a class act, much like most of the squad!

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:17 pm

You could see he had touches of class and skill and with the squad we have now with the like of damour that could come off the bench, it wouldn't be too much of an issue if he couldn't last a full match and he doesn't always have to start either :bluebird:

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:20 pm

City in Cwmbran wrote:Not sure, me. I hope I am wrong but I can't see where he fits naturally into this team. Add to that, he STILL looks unfit!!

Totally disagree with your assessment of Tomlin tonight I thought he brought much needed creativity to our midfield, I would go further by saying in my view Warnock subbed him much to early

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:24 pm

Definitely you, fella! ;) :thumbright:

Tomlin was class tonight :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:26 pm

Tomlin is class. His vision is excellent and he will get better and better the more he plays

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:52 am

Yep, Tomlin gives us something different in that he can beat a player and pick a defence splitting pass.

It won't always come off but could be vital in tight games. Damour is another great, but different option, all looking good for a tough, long season.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:01 am

Personally I have to agree with the OP at the moment. I thought he looked very pedestrian at times and as the OP also said, he did look a little shattered half way through the game while other players were still running their socks off.

Having said all that, when he did manage to get on the ball you could see there was a touch of class about his play and a player we'd need in a tight game to make the break through.

Its very early doors yet and that was the first time I have seen him play for the city so this is just a first impression of him. I'm sure he'll improve as the season goes on and will make some great contributions in games.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:04 am

I thought the standing ovation would have made you realise it was just you.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:10 am

Fair enough. Must be me then... ;)

I can see he might be the key in slow, tight matches, but......

Anyway.... WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE..... and having been almost disinterested for 3 years, there is DEFINATELY a feeling that we are all in this together again.

Happy days.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:20 am

City in Cwmbran wrote:Fair enough. Must be me then... ;)

I can see he might be the key in slow, tight matches, but......

Anyway.... WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE..... and having been almost disinterested for 3 years, there is DEFINATELY a feeling that we are all in this together again.

Happy days.

I agree that he's perhaps not fully match bit for 20 mins or so after our 2nd goal last night we had them pinned back in their half - Tomlin was instrumental during this time imho.
When he went off ( I guess partly to manage his fitness and partly as Damour perhaps offered more in a covering / defensive capacity) we didn't hold onto the ball so well.
He's a class act and he'll have bags of assists this year imho

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:23 am

I was surprised at his appearance, he looks so "unathletic", but had a great turn of pace when he wanted to use it and such close control and technique.

Last night Warnock gave Damour the night off, who must have covered the most ground last Saturday. Looks like we have a decent squad in the making.

I think he may be bit of an oil tanker to get fit, we probably wont see the best of him for a few weeks.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:39 am

His footwork is incredible. I can't remember the last time we had 3 across the front line that could always beat a defender with skill. Mendez-Laing, Tomlin and Hoillett can all do it. Where as since Malky came in only Noone has been able to do that (with limited success I might add).

Only downside is his passing capability isn't as good as Whitts', though he did he make some clever passes, he did let a few easy ones go.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:04 am

I think Tomlin will be key to unlocking tight defences like when teams come to the CCS and play it tight fir a draw.I expect Loic to replace him Saturday and also revert back to a back four!

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:33 am

Thought he was excellent until it come to putting the call on the net, looked to link up with Zohore and personally thought his work rate was excellent and closed down constantly

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:09 am

Sometimes I wonder if people were at the same game... Tomlin was class.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:44 am

Thought Tomlin was great and when he went off made a difference as damour couldn't quite get into the match and we had our worst spell. Different players and both give team different dynamic. What a great feeling to have options though. If we can keep all current squad and add one maybe two we will be in for an enjoyable ride.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:59 am

Tomlin is class. I would much rather he was playing for us than against - he was Bristol City's best player at CCS against us at year.

With more minutes on the pitch he will prove that he is another one of Neil's astute signings.

The problem is does he start every game? We have some great options now - the squad is a lot stronger this season.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:04 am

They took control of the game when tomlin went off don't know if it's just me that saw this but I'm sure Morrison acknowledged this in his interview that they controlled the final 20 mins

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:40 am

wez1927 wrote:Tomlin is class. His vision is excellent and he will get better and better the more he plays

This^^^^^

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:28 pm

City Slicker wrote:I thought he was superb, a class act, much like most of the squad!

Totally agree...think he showed some nice touches,has great vision and played a couple of killer passes, but you can tell he is still a bit rusty as he missed the target on a few occasions when he should have scored or at least tested the keeper

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:42 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
City Slicker wrote:I thought he was superb, a class act, much like most of the squad!

Totally agree...think he showed some nice touches,has great vision and played a couple of killer passes, but you can tell he is still a bit rusty as he missed the target on a few occasions when he should have scored or at least tested the keeper

Yes I agree Paul he does show rustiness but I expect that to disappear as the season progresses. I think it astute that he knows he is not a regular starter unless he claims the shirt but can be used tactically when needs must. Warnock is a genius at getting the best out of players and that bodes well for us.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:37 pm

The most skillful player we've got by some way. As the season goes on and more teams come to our stadium to shut up shop, so he becomes increasingly invaluable.
He missed a few good chances v. The Blades, yet still offers something different......that extra bit of unpredictability.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:51 pm

I think you've had a mare here mate!
I also thought Tomlin was superb last night and was surprisingly fit considering he looks a right fat b*stard. Very creative and a brilliant one touch at times.
I could watch his nut-megs all day.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:55 pm

Yep. Tomlin is great. Takes on defenders. Lovely sublime foot work. Great passing. Sure he isn't completely in shape and the other players aren't yet tuned in fully. But I'd imagine as the season goes on he can only get fitter and the players will only get him more. Plus we now finally have quality options! Options that can change how we play. What's not to like??

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:50 pm

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:

I think you've had a mare here mate!
I also thought Tomlin was superb last night and was surprisingly fit considering he looks a right fat b*stard. Very creative and a brilliant one touch at times.
I could watch his nut-megs all day.

Not 'a mare' at all 'mate'. Some interesting opinions offered here. That's what the board is about. Not looking to win the argument. I actually never said 'Tomlin is rubbish'. I said 'I hope I am wrong but I can't see where he fits naturally into this team. Add to that, he STILL looks unfit!!'.

The point was whether he was a natural fit into the way it looks like NW wants to play.

And if I was a professional sportsman, with all the opportunity, facilities and science available to me.......I think EVEN i could lose a stone and a half and get into some sort of shape where I wasn't blowing out of my arse on the hour. There were 3 occassions last night where the referee got over the halfway line quicker than Tomlin when we broke out.

Just an opinion. I hope he makes me look a fool........

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:24 pm

What Warnock seems to do that very few other managers have done is have players available who can play in different situations.

Against tough teams away from home with creative players in the middle when we are expected to be on the back foot I think it's certain Tomlin won't start. He wants the legs of Gunnar, Ralls and Loic and I think that's the 3 we will see Saturday

Against teams where we are expected to dictate and need that magic to break down defenders he will start those games, you could see him always looking for that killer pass, little touches and he's going to have games where everything comes off and we blow teams away, the man is class and he fits in naturally in that number 10 position simply because he has Ralls and Gunnar behind him doing all the legwork

I think we have the perfect midfield for what you need in the championship and I think Tomlin will be vital to us this year in games last year we may have drawn or struggled to break teams down

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:35 pm

Bellamys barmy army wrote:What Warnock seems to do that very few other managers have done is have players available who can play in different situations.

Against tough teams away from home with creative players in the middle when we are expected to be on the back foot I think it's certain Tomlin won't start. He wants the legs of Gunnar, Ralls and Loic and I think that's the 3 we will see Saturday

Against teams where we are expected to dictate and need that magic to break down defenders he will start those games, you could see him always looking for that killer pass, little touches and he's going to have games where everything comes off and we blow teams away, the man is class and he fits in naturally in that number 10 position simply because he has Ralls and Gunnar behind him doing all the legwork

I think we have the perfect midfield for what you need in the championship and I think Tomlin will be vital to us this year in games last year we may have drawn or struggled to break teams down

Reasoned enough. Cheers BBA :bluescarf:

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:41 pm

Tomlin is class. His manner of movement reminds me of Chops, which is no bad thing.