Greg Cunningham will be Joe Bennett's Replacement

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:56 pm

Cardiff City line up swoop for Preston left-back warrior Greg Cunningham as Joe Bennett's replacement

By Paul Abbadanato

Wednesday 16th August 2017

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock is eyeing up Preston captain Greg Cunningham as a potential replacement for Fulham target Joe Bennett.

Sources in Lancashire say Warnock has admired 26-year-old Cunningham for some time and is ready to make his move if Bennett chooses to leave for Craven Cottage.

Warnock says the issue of whether Bennett stays or goes is entirely in the hands of the player himself.

Fulham have matched a release clause in Bennett's Bluebirds contract and it is down to the former England under-21 international to determine his own future.

However, Championship table-toppers Cardiff are not prepared to let Bennett leave for London without signing a direct like-for-like left back replacaement.

The man Warnock is said to be keen to land is Cunningham, who has won four caps for the Republic of Ireland, and who he has been linked with before.

The former Manchester City youngster made two cup appearances for the Sky Blues, before ending up at Deepdale via Leicester, Nottingham Forest and Bristol City.

Cunningham, Preston's player of the year in his first season at the club, was rewarded with a new contract that takes him through to 2019 and was also handed the captaincy this summer.

Given Cunningham is highly rated by the Preston hierarchy, it would take the Bluebirds a seven-figure sum to prise him away from Deepdale.

But Cardiff would net a slightly bigger fee from Fulham for Bennett and owner Vincent Tan has sanctioned the move for much of that money to go straight into signing a replacement left-back.

Ironically, it is former Bluebirds chief Peter Ridsdale - the man who brought Tan to Cardiff in the first place - who acts as Preston's football advisor these days, so he will be involved in any transfer deal.

Cunningham appeared in 39 of Preston's 46 league fixtures last season, helping the side to an impressive 11th-place, finishing above the Bluebirds on goal difference.

Cunningham injured his knee during Preston's loss to Derby on Tuesday night, the same evening Warnock's Bluebirds beat Sheffield United 2-0 to soar to the top of the Championship.

The left-back landed awkwardly after jumping for a header, but Preston boss Alex Neil is optimistic the injury is not too bad.

“I think he’s just hyper-extended his knee,” said Neil. “When he comes down his knee bends backwards.

“Greg’s an absolute warrior though. He puts his body through the wringer day in, day out and we’re hoping he will be okay."

It is that type of commitment, on top of his ability and experience, that has made Cunningham a target for Warnock, whose other Bluebirds transfer dealings have been excellent.
Attachments
Cunningham.jpg
Cunningham.jpg (85.14 KiB) Viewed 7576 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Greg Cunningham will be Joe Bennett's Replacement

Postby sid61284 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:37 pm

I'd love to see Cunningham at the City, but really like Bennett as well. Best left back we've had in a long time in my opinion
sid61284

Postby gwentbluebirds » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:21 pm

sid61284 wrote:I'd love to see Cunningham at the City, but really like Bennett as well. Best left back we've had in a long time in my opinion

Agree
gwentbluebirds

Postby norms76 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:27 pm

sid61284 wrote:I'd love to see Cunningham at the City, but really like Bennett as well. Best left back we've had in a long time in my opinion

That's what I've been saying. I rate Bennett and hopefully he's happy here & chooses to stay.
norms76

Postby sid61284 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Could be good business mind you if warlock could being in a solid left back in Cunningham and a raw talent to work with like Bogle to work with
sid61284

Postby Igovernor » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:51 pm

Cunningham will be added not a replacement, then we will have two genuine left footers in the squad :thumbup:
Igovernor

Postby norms76 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:59 pm

Igovernor wrote:Cunningham will be added not a replacement, then we will have two genuine left footers in the squad :thumbup:

How do you know? Tan has said no more in unless we sell someone.
norms76

Postby TAP_Sheep » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm sorry but WoL have been wrong on most rumours. Literally someone mentioned Cunningham on the Joe Bennett to Fulham thread on this very forum last night! They must've read that and posted a whole article on it. They're a shovel of sh*t who know just as much as I do in regards to transfers.
TAP_Sheep

Postby TAP_Sheep » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Igovernor wrote:Cunningham will be added not a replacement, then we will have two genuine left footers in the squad :thumbup:

Nope, Warnock has already said this left footer is unknown. Cunningham has consistently been rated as one of the best full backs in Champ/LG1 for a while.
TAP_Sheep

Postby 2blue2handle » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:24 pm

I'd be gutted to see Bennett go, I think he is ideal for how we play.
2blue2handle

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:54 pm

At the end of the day its simple, this is his options.

Cardiff - Revived your career, guaranteed first team Football, working for best Manager in the league, top of the league, Bigger club, settled in Cardiff, playing in arguably the best defence in the league.

Fulham - More money.
Bluebird Warrior

Postby DandoCCFC » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:05 pm

Really rated Bennett and was surprised we got him on free.. would be gutted to see him go we have lacked attacking fullbacks since Fabio gone and he was the only one we had in recent years and he grabbed 3 goals for us last season, a brace in one game. He seemed to have found stability in his career and I hope he sees us as the best place to be for his career right now.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:14 pm

Cardiff City have made a bid for Preston North End defender Greg Cunningham.

The 26-year-old left-back could be a replacement for Joe Bennett, who is weighing up an offer from Fulham.

Fulham have met the release clause in Bennett's contract, with the player torn between staying at Cardiff and heading for Craven Cottage.

Republic of Ireland international Cunningham has made more than 50 appearances for Preston.

Bluebirds manager Neil Warnock confirmed after his side's 2-0 win over Sheffield United that Fulham had made an approach for Bennett.

He did not confirm if the release clause had been triggered, but acknowledged: "There is a clause in his contract ... and if they trigger that clause there's not a lot I can do."

Warnock would not confirm if Cardiff had made specific offers for players, but added: "There's a few the media have not mentioned that I've been talking to. You'll just have to wait and see."
TopCat CCFC

Postby Wayne S » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:40 pm

There is no way we will get Cunningham or pay the valuation. It would take all the 2mill from the Banner sale plus a few more on top.
Wayne S

Postby Wayne S » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:52 am

Alex Neil said: "There is interest but Cardiff City have been told under no circumstances would we be interested in selling Greg Cunningham."
Wayne S

Postby City Slicker » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:56 am

Wayne S wrote:Alex Neil said: "There is interest but Cardiff City have been told under no circumstances would we be interested in selling Greg Cunningham."

I think Klopp said the same about Coutinho
City Slicker

Postby boyo1927 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:14 am

A bid has now been made to fleetwood for amari bell! Rejected but the fact we have bid possibly means Joe has decided to leave us
boyo1927

Postby Igovernor » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:15 pm

boyo1927 wrote:A bid has now been made to fleetwood for amari bell! Rejected but the fact we have bid possibly means Joe has decided to leave us

Nah, we need two left footer full backs :thumbup:
Igovernor

Postby 2blue2handle » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:38 pm

boyo1927 wrote:A bid has now been made to fleetwood for amari bell! Rejected but the fact we have bid possibly means Joe has decided to leave us

I think he would be as well.

It seems Cunningham would be his direct replacement.
2blue2handle

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Cunningham deal off
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Return to General Chat