A forum for all things Cardiff City

CITY LAUNCH FRESH INVESTIGATION OVER TRANSFER

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:26 pm

ANDREAS CORNELIUS: CARDIFF CITY INSTRUCT LAWYER TO LOOK AT DEAL

Friday 18th August 2017

By Ian Hunt

BBC Wales Sport

Andreas Cornelius.jpg

Cardiff City have launched a fresh investigation into the signing of Andreas Cornelius in July 2013.

The Danish striker, then 20, arrived for a club record fee of an initial £7.5m but failed to score in 11 games.

Cardiff owner Vincent Tan believes the club paid too much - and has instructed lawyers to take a detailed look into the transfer. Tan says he has new information on the matter.

It comes as Tan renewed his attack on former boss Malky Mackay.

Tan called Mackay an "idiot" over the Cornelius signing.

The striker was Scotsman Mackay's first purchase after guiding Cardiff to promotion to the Premier League, but he rejoined FC Copenhagen after just six months in Wales.

Cornelius rediscovered his form at Copenhagen with a tally of 45 goals over his two spells with the club.

Cornelius joined Italian Serie A side Atalanta this summer.

"It was unfortunate that we only stayed in the Premier League for one season," said Tan.

"You know the main reason, I always say, and I have told Mehmet [Dalman, Cardiff's chairman] the same, is that we spent a lot of money there - I think it was £50m.

"What did we get? We paid £10.5m [based on add-ons] for Cornelius who didn't even play 45 minutes and then the manager said he was a project.

"I'm in the Premier League, I need to survive. What an idiot he [Mackay] is."

Tan added, "You pay for a big striker £10.5m you should play him 90 minutes, not 45 minutes, five minutes, 10 minutes. Because he's a project he [Mackay] says, finally, he says he [Cornelius] is a project.

"How come I'm in the Premier League and you're finding time to do a project for the future? What rubbish is that? And you pay £45,000 a week for a project? Rubbish!"
malkymackaytan_rex.jpg

Chris Nott, a senior partner at Cardiff law firm Capital Law, confirmed he's been instructed to look into the Cornelius transfer.

"Mr Tan has asked for this particular transfer to be looked at in micro detail," said Nott.

Mackay's representatives told BBC Wales Sport they had nothing to say regarding the new investigation.

Tan's acrimonious sacking of Mackay - who is now the Scottish Football Association's performance director - was one of several flashpoints in what has been a tumultuous tenure since the Malaysian businessman bought the Welsh club in 2010.

Cardiff subsequently sent a dossier to the Football Association alleging that Mackay and former head of recruitment Iain Moody shared racist and sexist texts, with the governing body deciding that both men would face no action.

The club engaged law firm Mishcon de Reya, whose investigators obtained a search order from the High Court to enter the property seizing work computers and phones and taking electronic imagery of evidence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: CITY LAUNCH FRESH INVESTIGATION OVER TRANSFER

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:44 pm

:happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:44 pm

Here we go again

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:45 pm

Good luck to them. But why can't they just let things lie and look to what promises to be a positive future. ??

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:04 pm

The next time i sign a payment agreement off by myself. I think i will then investigate my own f**k up. How pathetic does that sound rite :laughing5:

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:16 pm

Hopefully its I'm a no win no fee basis. Lol

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:21 pm

Bluebird1977 wrote:The next time i sign a payment agreement off by myself. I think i will then investigate my own f**k up. How pathetic does that sound rite :laughing5:

And that's connected how???

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:24 pm

According to Emperor Tan, Cornelius played less than 90 minutes of football - forgetting he was injured for several months. But according to this report he played 11 games and failed to score.
So he must have averaged about 8 minutes per game. No wonder he didn't score.
Tan is very loose with facts and the truth as usual.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:31 pm

It is universally acknowledged that MM's transfer activity in the PL was the pits and no-one can argue that the Andreas Cornelius signing was the pinnacle of monumental incompetence.

But I really can't see any value in raking over this crap again just when the feel good factor is coming back to the club. The smart move by VT would be to let this go, get CCFC promoted and then sell the club as a Premiership going concern.

That way he will have a far greater chance of getting his money back than anything he hopes to gain from employing a blood sucking law firm to further hound our former manager.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:38 pm

glas wrote:According to Emperor Tan, Cornelius played less than 90 minutes of football - forgetting he was injured for several months. But according to this report he played 11 games and failed to score.

I think you completely miss the point. Cornelius was signed for £7.5m (rising to £10.5m) on a contract worth £45kpw and was then described as 'one for the future' by MM when he realised he had signed an injured duff.

The figures you quote above would support that conclusion rather than disprove them.

That said this subject has been done to death as we all know that MM f**ked up but going over it again 4 years later isn't going to help anyone. VT should leave this alone and concentrate on the feel good factor we now have.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:38 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:It is universally acknowledged that MM's transfer activity in the PL was the pits and no-one can argue that the Andreas Cornelius signing was the pinnacle of monumental incompetence.

But I really can't see any value in raking over this crap again just when the feel good factor is coming back to the club. The smart move by VT would be to let this go, get CCFC promoted and then sell the club as a Premiership going concern.

That way he will have a far greater chance of getting his money back than anything he hopes to gain from employing a blood sucking law firm to further hound our former manager.

Another £1 million added to our debt.
Old bad feelings dug up again. Rebrand remembered.
As you say just as the feel good factor is returning and people are starting to return.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:44 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
glas wrote:According to Emperor Tan, Cornelius played less than 90 minutes of football - forgetting he was injured for several months. But according to this report he played 11 games and failed to score.

I think you completely miss the point. Cornelius was signed for £7.5m (rising to £10.5m) on a contract worth £45kpw and was then described as 'one for the future' by MM when he realised he had signed an injured duff.

The figures you quote above would support that conclusion rather than disprove them.

That said this subject has been done to death as we all know that MM f**ked up but going over it again 4 years later isn't going to help anyone. VT should leave this alone and concentrate on the feel good factor we now have.

Who said it was £7.5 million? Tan or Lim has quoted everything from £10 - £20 million.
He was only here for a few months and Copenhagen bought him back (presumably for less than we paid, but it still reduced the overall cost to Cardiff).
He is now playing at a higher level of football than we are (Italian Serie A).
Lim signed the contract and presumably Tan approved it, so they should take some responsibility.

It seems yet again Tan is only telling half a story. Probably needs his mother to approve it :laughing6:

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:36 pm

glas wrote:

Who said it was £7.5 million? Tan or Lim has quoted everything from £10 - £20 million.
He was only here for a few months and Copenhagen bought him back (presumably for less than we paid, but it still reduced the overall cost to Cardiff).
Lim signed the contract and presumably Tan approved it, so they should take some responsibility.

It seems yet again Tan is only telling half a story. Probably needs his mother to approve it :laughing6:

At the time it was well quoted as £7.5m and rising to £10.5m if 'performance' targets were reached, which almost certainly they were not. I have never seen a quote stating anything higher than those figures although maybe wages are added in those quotes you mention.

There were reports that FC Copenhagen paid £3m to take him back but remember he was on a contract worth £45kpw so it is highly likely he had some kind of pay off to induce him to return to Denmark. I remember a shareholders meeting where it was reported that City lost £7-8m on the deal.

You could argue that the VT approved the deal and should take some responsibility. But with respect he employed MM on a very good contract to be his expert in the field of finding and signing players. It was MM's choice to recommend AC to the club and VT backed him.

You cannot then somehow pass the buck and state that MM was not grossly incompetent because clearly he certainly was.

Finally making jokes about someone's 90 year old disabled Mother is frankly scraping the barrel when comes to stupid jokes.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:49 pm

Although I am no fan of Mr Tan I am going to wait and see what comes out in the wash before having a go at him about this. If it turns out there was something underhanded going on regarding this transfer, then there will be a few people on this forum looking a bit silly. If Tan feels there has been some sort of attempt to fiddle the club, then he has every right to look into it, it's his money. However, if it was just a transfer that was done in good faith but ultimately did not work out, then there would be no point in pursuing this any more and he should try and concentrate on the future instead of digging up the past.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:51 pm

Seems fair enough to me, Tan thinks he was ripped off and is having it checked, nothing wrong with that ???

Let's concentrate on Warnocks team and let the Lawyers decide if he is right !

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:56 pm

Seems fair enough to me, Tan thinks he was ripped off and is having it checked, nothing wrong with that ???

Let's concentrate on Warnocks team and let the Lawyers decide if he is right !

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:05 pm

Why are they all beating around the bush. Tan is obviously saying Mackay took a back hander to sign Cornelius.

Any other concerns are just poor management of money and scouting. But if that was the case we wouldn't be hearing about it again.

Tan surely can't be looking into this again JUST to prove Mackay was a poor manager. What do you gain from that.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:23 pm

glas wrote:

as you say strange goings on...Copenhagen paying back millions...and now he has moved to a higher level for less than half the transfer fee they wanted off us.??????????.and the player..what happened to the 45k a week contract.? i doubt Copenhagen payed him that.
as for responsibility..is he really worth this money Malky.?..i assume the answer was a firm yes..so do you want the owner and CEO trusting the football expert they have employed or not..? THEY were backing him.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:33 pm

dogfound wrote:
glas wrote:

as you say strange goings on...Copenhagen paying back millions...and now he has moved to a higher level for less than half the transfer fee they wanted off us.??????????.and the player..what happened to the 45k a week contract.? i doubt Copenhagen payed him that.
as for responsibility..is he really worth this money Malky.?..i assume the answer was a firm yes..so do you want the owner and CEO trusting the football expert they have employed or not..? THEY were backing him.

Your last point is relevant to the argument! Malky and his staff were the football experts and should have known the player they wanted to buy tan went along with their judgement! But no one can argue that Cornelius was worth 8m & : 45k a week! So why did malky think he was considering another club wouldn't pay 500k for him apparently? Tan is guilty of trusting people who should have known better than him. :old:

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:37 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
glas wrote:

Your last point is relevant to the argument! Malky and his staff were the football experts and should have known the player they wanted to buy tan went along with their judgement! But no one can argue that Cornelius was worth 8m & : 45k a week! So why did malky think he was considering another club wouldn't pay 500k for him apparently? Tan is guilty of trusting people who should have known better than him. :old:

i think my first point is relevant too.
how come he was so valuable to Copenhagen the..and not so now.
his recent transfer is less than half what we payed in a transfer market thats gone through the ceiling.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:48 pm

dogfound wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
dogfound wrote:
glas wrote:

i think my first point is relevant too.
how come he was so valuable to Copenhagen the..and not so now.
his recent transfer is less than half what we payed in a transfer market thats gone through the ceiling.

People can blame tan as much as they like but all he's guilty of is trusting so called football people and being naive! Sure there's not many people who don't think something odd about the whole Cornelius transfer! As famously quoted by many on here the truth will come out? :shock:

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:54 pm

What this should say is the Dictator starts it all up again, spent £1mill last time investigating Malky and found ZERO.

Here we go yet again, ruining such a great feeling and dividing our fans yet again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:01 pm

I can't believe all this shite is being brought up again. Massive feelgood factor around the club and here we go again. Let's move on and move on up :bluebird:

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:08 pm

Forever Blue wrote:What this should say is the Dictator starts it all up again, spent £1mill last time investigating Malky and found ZERO.

Here we go yet again, ruining such a great feeling and dividing our fans yet again.

Annis this is a forum where fans have different opinions on all subjects but other threads are not considered as deviding fans when people dont agree! so why is this one considered doing it after all it's only a debate about something going on at club like most things on this forum. :thumbup:

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:10 pm

Thought this would been put behind us now and now it's been brought back into the light again..

I guess we should just let him get on with it..

One thing I will say that if there is an investigation into this then there's obviously something we don't know.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:14 pm

Tans come back, talked through his teeth about the club and then spent the rest of the time bitching about malky.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:15 pm

Forever Blue wrote:What this should say is the Dictator starts it all up again, spent £1mill last time investigating Malky and found ZERO.

He's false as f**k Annis.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:18 pm

OTT on this one Annis, hardly dividing the fans he's just launching an investigation to find out facts for himself.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:26 pm

Tan can get investigators if he wishes but do it in the background why is it big news when we have a big game tomorrow and starting to be the Cardiff City we all knew and loved again , yet Tan comes back for 1 game and instead of talking of how well Warnock and his team are doing its all about Malky again :banghead:

Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:31 pm

Agent Manager Agent Player Management Company Wife Manager Fee