Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Lawyers instructed to look at Cornelius deal again

Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:27 pm

Cardiff City have launched a fresh investigation into the signing of Andreas Cornelius in July 2013.

The Danish striker, then 20, arrived for a club record fee of an initial £7.5m but failed to score in 11 games.

Cardiff owner Vincent Tan believes the club paid too much - and has instructed lawyers to take a detailed look into the transfer. Tan says he has new information on the matter.

It comes as Tan renewed his attack on former boss Malky Mackay.

Tan called Mackay an "idiot" over the Cornelius signing.

The striker was Scotsman Mackay's first purchase after guiding Cardiff to promotion to the Premier League, but he rejoined FC Copenhagen after just six months in Wales.

Cornelius rediscovered his form at Copenhagen with a tally of 45 goals over his two spells with the club.

Cornelius joined Italian Serie A side Atalanta this summer.

"It was unfortunate that we only stayed in the Premier League for one season," said Tan.

"You know the main reason, I always say, and I have told Mehmet [Dalman, Cardiff's chairman] the same, is that we spent a lot of money there - I think it was £50m.

"What did we get? We paid £10.5m [based on add-ons] for Cornelius who didn't even play 45 minutes and then the manager said he was a project.

"I'm in the Premier League, I need to survive. What an idiot he [Mackay] is."

Tan added, "You pay for a big striker £10.5m you should play him 90 minutes, not 45 minutes, five minutes, 10 minutes. Because he's a project he [Mackay] says, finally, he says he [Cornelius] is a project.

"How come I'm in the Premier League and you're finding time to do a project for the future? What rubbish is that? And you pay £45,000 a week for a project? Rubbish!"
Vincent Tan and Malky Mackay
Cardiff owner Vincent Tan and ex-manager Malky Mackay celebrate winning promotion to the Premier League in 2013

Chris Nott, a senior partner at Cardiff law firm Capital Law, confirmed he's been instructed to look into the Cornelius transfer.

"Mr Tan has asked for this particular transfer to be looked at in micro detail," said Nott.

Mackay's representatives told BBC Wales Sport they had nothing to say regarding the new investigation.

Tan's acrimonious sacking of Mackay - who is now the Scottish Football Association's performance director - was one of several flashpoints in what has been a tumultuous tenure since the Malaysian businessman bought the Welsh club in 2010.

Cardiff subsequently sent a dossier to the Football Association alleging that Mackay and former head of recruitment Iain Moody shared racist and sexist texts, with the governing body deciding that both men would face no action.

The club engaged law firm Mishcon de Reya, whose investigators obtained a search order from the High Court to enter the property seizing work computers and phones and taking electronic imagery of evidence.

Re: Lawyers instructed to look at Cornelius deal again

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:35 pm

How much will this add to our debt?
Another £1 million wasted on solicitors and accountants.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:43 pm

Just let it go Tan! You've wasted enough time and money on this as it is!

Warnock paid 1.6 million for Danny Ward and has barely played him. Tan will be investigating this transfer next. :roll:

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:05 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Just let it go Tan! You've wasted enough time and money on this as it is!

Warnock paid 1.6 million for Danny Ward and has barely played him. Tan will be investigating this transfer next. :roll:

Unfortunately Ross Tan cannot let it go. He is that sort of character who has money to burn.

I was told ages ago there was something dubious about the Acorn signing but there was not enough evidence to take it further.

This is not going away. Were you about for the Watergate? Well let me introduce you to the CardiffGate.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Just let it go Tan! You've wasted enough time and money on this as it is!

Unfortunately Ross Tan cannot let it go. He is that sort of character who has money to burn.

I was told ages ago there was something dubious about the Acorn signing but there was not enough evidence to take it further.

This is not going away. Were you about for the Watergate? Well let me introduce you to the CardiffGate.

Who told you there was something dubious, or aren't you allowed to say?

I still think Malky went for Cornelius hoping he would become another Benteke, who joined Villa the season before from Genk. He was 20 when we signed him and he had just broken into the Danish national team. Unfortunately, it didn't work out and his injuries did him no favours. But I would be surprised if Malky had any control over his transfer fee and wages.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:44 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

I still think Malky went for Cornelius hoping he would become another Benteke, who joined Villa the season before from Genk. He was 20 when we signed him and he had just broken into the Danish national team. Unfortunately, it didn't work out and his injuries did him no favours. But I would be surprised if Malky had any control over his transfer fee and wages.

Didn't MM share the same agent as AC? I'm sure I have seen that posted before.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:18 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

I could tell you but not going to.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:22 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Tony

OGS brought in a number of players through an agency that he was previously a part owner of, and most of them were an expensive waste but that doesn't seem to have been queried or investigated in the same way.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:32 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

oh come on......youd be suprised if Malky had any contol over fee and wages..
so in a nut shell all malky has to do is point this out :lol:

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:33 pm

:lol: hardly the same.

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Be more surprised if tan or lim new enough about football contracts to make a decision without considerable input from malky and moody if he was there at time :roll:

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:45 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Be more surprised if tan or lim new enough about football contracts to make a decision without considerable input from malky and moody if he was there at time :roll:

Talk was at the time that pages were missing from contracts including the agents fees that were sent to tan , the same agents havnt been paid and the court cases have all gone quiet hmmmm

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:48 pm

ccfcsince1962 wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Tony

OGS brought in a number of players through an agency that he was previously a part owner of, and most of them were an expensive waste but that doesn't seem to have been queried or investigated in the same way.

maybe because there is simply no suspicion over those transfers..or any under slade,trolls, or NW either..

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:55 pm

wez1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Talk was at the time that pages were missing from contracts including the agents fees that were sent to tan , the same agents havnt been paid and the court cases have all gone quiet hmmmm

Be surprised if tan is doing it just for the he'll of it cannot see the point. Guess there are things that have not been fully explained to tans satisfaction?