Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

My one complaint about Ken at the moment

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:21 pm

Shooting too much from impossible angles, when maybe a pull back to someone in a better position would be a better option, assuming there is a option of course. Obviously he wants to score when racing in behind, doing the hard work, but an assist would be fine Ken! :clap:

Re: My one complaint about Ken at the moment

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:28 pm

I kind of agree with you, I've thought that about him myself a few times but then I remember the goals he scored against Rotherham and then why the hell shouldn't he have a pop from there if he knows he can do it and is blooming with confidence. I'm guessing you're saying this because of the couple of tight angle shots he had against Wolves? One of them did force a very good save.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:41 pm

Jimmy Floyd wrote:I kind of agree with you, I've thought that about him myself a few times but then I remember the goals he scored against Rotherham and then why the hell shouldn't he have a pop from there if he knows he can do it and is blooming with confidence. I'm guessing you're saying this because of the couple of tight angle shots he had against Wolves? One of them did force a very good save.

Not just against Wolves ive seen it in other games, of course you need the midfield making runs behind or Ml, JH to come in behind around penalty spot to pull back to. Also keepers are expecting a shot, whereas a few pull backs will make them think twice about their positioning.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:50 pm

I've been thinking the same honestly. He's had about 7 opportunities in the last 3 games where he's tried to score from the exact same place, all carbon copies of each other, all saved.

I think as a result he's getting frustrated, and he looked a bit off the boil on Saturday to me (I was at the game). But in spite of that his head never dropped, he never stops trying and works hard not just for himself but also the team.

I feel he can try a shot earlier to try and catch the keeper out, the tighter you make the angle the harder it is to score.

But hey, I'm not a footballer, what do I know? So long as he's tormenting defences like he is we have other players with firepower :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:03 pm

I don't actually agree with the original post.

I think in all those situations where he's taken a shot from a tight angle it's been because there was nobody in a better position to pass to.

I actually think he's quite an unselfish player and I wonder if Warnock has told him to be a bit more selfish this season.

In the last game of the season at Huddersfield he set up both of Joe Bennett's goals and against Villa laid on the cross for Hoillett to head in the second goal.

Also played in Mendez-Laing for the winner on Saturday so all in all I think he's been very good with his link up play and I certainly wouldn't criticise him for the attempts he's had so far this season.

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:06 pm

Cymru Am Byth wrote:I've been thinking the same honestly. He's had about 7 opportunities in the last 3 games where he's tried to score from the exact same place, all carbon copies of each other, all saved.

I think as a result he's getting frustrated, and he looked a bit off the boil on Saturday to me (I was at the game). But in spite of that his head never dropped, he never stops trying and works hard not just for himself but also the team.

I feel he can try a shot earlier to try and catch the keeper out, the tighter you make the angle the harder it is to score.

But hey, I'm not a footballer, what do I know? So long as he's tormenting defences like he is we have other players with firepower :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Best in this league at what he does by miles, but sure if he laid back a few hed be even better!

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:03 am

On another day he would have had 3 against villa or got 2 against Wolves. All top strikers are a bit greedy and want to score. Just shows he hungry and confident IMO

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:14 am

To be fair, when others are in a better position he has laid it off to them

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:32 am

I have found myself thinking that it was the wrong option to shoot, but then I think that I'd rather him be full of confidence and taking shots from all over the shop (there were quite a few skied attempts on the turn against Sheffield Utd aswell) than devoid of confidence and looking to get rid of the ball as soon as he's got it. One day he'll crack these tight angle shots, and will have added yet another dangerous aspect to his play

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:47 am

couple of us had a debate mid point of last season, if he could finish he'd be a world beater. Then he went on the run tail end of the season obviously and was scoring from everywhere but seems he hasnt got his finishing boots on just yet.....

Fine by me as his work rate is creating chances...and once the transfer window closes, he can put his scoring boots back on !!! :)

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:08 am

The shots are on target and hit with venom.......Carry on Kenny.

This is an immature team, four games in. Mendez Laing, Holiett, Tomlin or Ralls will soon look for the deflection of the keeper and will be busting a gut to get onto them.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:33 am

The Cobra wrote:
Cymru Am Byth wrote:I've been thinking the same honestly. He's had about 7 opportunities in the last 3 games where he's tried to score from the exact same place, all carbon copies of each other, all saved.

Best in this league at what he does by miles, but sure if he laid back a few hed be even better!

I thought that, but on watching replays the majority of those occasions there was no one actually in a good position.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:30 am

llan bluebird wrote:The shots are on target and hit with venom.......Carry on Kenny.

This is an immature team, four games in. Mendez Laing, Holiett, Tomlin or Ralls will soon look for the deflection of the keeper and will be busting a gut to get onto them.

I totally agree with you Llan.
Had the shots not been on target and not struck with such ferocious power then I would be agreeing with some of the other posters but I would go as far as to say that Big Ken is unlucky for at least one of those not to go in.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:35 am

Jes wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:The shots are on target and hit with venom.......Carry on Kenny.

I totally agree with you Llan.
Had the shots not been on target and not struck with such ferocious power then I would be agreeing with some of the other posters but I would go as far as to say that Big Ken is unlucky for at least one of those not to go in.
:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

couldn't agree more. aslong as he hits the target im happy.
but Zohore has shown an eye for a pass if its on.

He had two against Wolves where he had too shoot.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:46 am

I can't find fault with anyone at the moment and when this lot properly gel.............BOOM!!!

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:55 am

City Slicker wrote:I can't find fault with anyone at the moment and when this lot properly gel.............BOOM!!!

You make a good point well, fella! :thumbup: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:44 am

My fiver at 33/1 on him as top scorer is struggling a bit at the mo! Wonder what odds NML was at the start

Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:33 pm

every team needs a greedy striker. sign of confidence. gimme someone who will shoot all day any day if the week to a passer every time.
can see what your point is, but i prefer strikers to shoot at all costs, let the wingers do the crossing

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:22 pm

Seriously are some people never happy in life, I've waited 4 years to enjoy watching Cardiff again and wow am I enjoying this start......but I might sit down analyse and pick holes

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:46 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:Seriously are some people never happy in life, I've waited 4 years to enjoy watching Cardiff again and wow am I enjoying this start......but I might sit down analyse and pick holes

whats wrong with that though?

we are all enjoying it but doesnt mean we cant critique some of the players/performances.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:55 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:Seriously are some people never happy in life, I've waited 4 years to enjoy watching Cardiff again and wow am I enjoying this start......but I might sit down analyse and pick holes

whats wrong with that though?

we are all enjoying it but doesnt mean we cant critique some of the players/performances.

Enjoy the bloody football, enjoy a young player who could be the biggest thing at Cardiff in years, the kids barely put a foot wrong.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:28 pm

Ken not scoring and top of the league unbeaten......that will do for me :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:41 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:Ken not scoring and top of the league unbeaten......that will do for me :ayatollah:

Agree. One in four is hardly panic stations either - particularly with the number of assists under his belt.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:07 pm

This

Blanblue wrote:All top strikers are a bit greedy and want to score. Just shows he hungry and confident IMO

and this

RYANBLUE wrote:and once the transfer window closes, he can put his scoring boots back on !!! :)

and this

cityslicker wrote:I can't find fault with anyone at the moment and when this lot properly gel.............BOOM!!!

Is exactly what i'm thinking.

Easy this posting lark when we're all in tune in it! :ayatollah: