Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Pilkington is better than Ward thread

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:08 pm

He probably earns three time more, and i guess if we don't move him on our Neil won't be that gutted, because isn't he everything Warnock wants ?

Could he be turned into a CM ? Obviously an attacking one ?

Re: The Pilkington is better than Ward thread

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:12 pm

feel a bit sorry for Ward..i think he was signed before NW realised he could get Tomlin. and then of course others have come in and impressed and pushed both down the pecking order.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:10 am

Ward is fine as a sub utility player but that is all he will ever be.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:46 am

phildavies wrote:Ward is fine as a sub utility player but that is all he will ever be.

and thats not much for 1.6m

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:46 am

paulh_85 wrote:
phildavies wrote:Ward is fine as a sub utility player but that is all he will ever be.

and thats not much for 1.6m

My thoughts exactly. Been very disappointed in what I have seen of him so far, though to be fair I don't think he has had much game time outside the League Cup. Still win some lose some because Mendez Laing has been the find of the season so far in the championship and he cost nothing.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:51 am

Based on what? Yesterday's game?
CMs let the whole team down yesterday. Coxe had a poor game along with conolly.
But the problem is when the CMs bring noting to the table and allow the other team free will in CM. our attacking players won't get the ball.

Game changed when Damour come on.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:53 am

Ward was very good against Pompey.
But probably never saw that, wasn't many there.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:21 am

Are we bringing judgement out on ward after a couple sub appearances and a shitty team performance in the Cup?... I thought we'd learnt this lesson. Wait till the guy has a decent run of games ffs.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:24 pm

That's harsh lads!

Only played a few games and most as sub! Plus for some reason he gets pushed out wide when the last few seasons he's played up top. He just needs a run of games I'd love to see him next to Zohore that could be a deadly combo

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:38 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:Ward was very good against Pompey.

i was and he wasnt "very good" at all

not right to judge him too harshly right now though

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:39 pm

paulh_85 wrote:

its not all about scoring goals.
first touch was great, link up play with Tomlin was great. took a few snap shots hit the target. Thought he done well.
(2nd half onwards)
1st half was a drag

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:57 pm

paulh_85 wrote:

I agree I was their and he was poor IMO. Anyone who thought he was a good sub for Zohore iclearly doesn't know much about football as his scoring record is appaling. As I have already said above in this thread he is a versatility sub option and nothing more.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:40 pm

This wasn't meant to be a slagging of Ward (from me) more of an appreciation of Pilkington ability as a footballer. I understand that Pilkington doesn't know what his position is nowadays. But he looked in good shape and had a dramatic impact on the game with his technical ability.

If Ward doesn't look like a clinical (Earnie) type striker and he is not target man although I remember me moaning about the long ball tactic against Burton in the league at home last season (Turner is a monster for that) what is he. A versatile willing runner who has a great team ethic and will knock the odd chance in. Can't Warnock get inside Pilkington head to stop the prima Donna stuff because I believe he has more talent.

I guess Warnock hopes the fee we get (if any) for Nooney or Pilkington will finance a new CM. But if he stays surely we have a decent forward/attacking midfielder to go in the campaign with ?

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:52 pm

True I was there!
Also I know it was a friendly but the Livingston game when he came on upfront he looked really good. Let's give him some time and respect guys

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:55 pm

nubbsy wrote:Are we bringing judgement out on ward after a couple sub appearances and a shitty team performance in the Cup?... I thought we'd learnt this lesson. Wait till the guy has a decent run of games ffs.

Agree with this 100%

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:23 am

bluebird7291 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

first touch was great, link up play with Tomlin was great. took a few snap shots hit the target. Thought he done well.
(2nd half onwards)
1st half was a drag

thankfully ive been watching football long enough to know its not all about scoring goals, but thanks. :clap:

personally i thought he did ok against portsmouth, just not very good as stated, and certainly doesnt merit getting into the first team yet from what ive seen of him

Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:45 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
bluebird7291 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

(2nd half onwards)
1st half was a drag

thankfully ive been watching football long enough to know its not all about scoring goals, but thanks. :clap:

personally i thought he did ok against portsmouth, just not very good as stated, and certainly doesnt merit getting into the first team yet from what ive seen of him

that's fair enough.

He's not as good as Zohore, but for me having him as back up by any means isn't a bad thing.
He's decent with it at his feet.
Decent first touch.
Holds it up well.

But i liked his link up play with Tomlin, look's like the only fringe player who is switched on enough to see his passes.

Also the goals comment wasn't a dig, sorry if it come across that way. :ayatollah: