Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

A good question on tonight's players

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:29 pm

from Twitter

@JonnyBywater

Is the squad good enough for a promotion push? Majority on show tonight were dreadful in my opinion.

Re: A good question on tonight's players

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:31 pm

The first 15 mins we looked like the Harlem Globetrotters then we just started Kicking it long to Ben Turner.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:34 pm

Followed the game on the City app... I don't think Ward's name was mentioned until the 80th minute. Obviously did a lot then?
How did Ogle perform?

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:39 pm

Forever Blue wrote:from Twitter

@JonnyBywater

Is the squad good enough for a promotion push? Majority on show tonight were dreadful in my opinion.

What we know from tonight is that there is little depth to the squad, the back 4 were OK with the youngster Coxe having a great debut.

Tomlin, Ward, Bogle, O'Keefe, Halford and Kennedy were at best lethargic and, in my opinion, did nothing to push for a starting place for Saturday.

Our first choice 11 is good but lose just one of Zahore, Mendez-Laing, Ralls or Gunnarsonn and we will have problems.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:39 pm

Ketteringblues wrote:Followed the game on the City app... I don't think Ward's name was mentioned until the 80th minute. Obviously did a lot then?
How did Ogle perform?

Ogle played ok,Ward simply doesent cut it for me,cant head a ball

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:44 pm

The players who came in were given the chance - sadly the result speaks for it's self .

Many have betting slips wit CITY To win the league or go UP !!! ;) ( Hope this happens )

Let's go back to the MM years when players like Tom Heaton who took his chance with others :thumbup:

Under NW we have the manager - Do we have the same commitment with the players :?: :?: :?:

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:47 pm

You make 10 changes,sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.As long as they win on satd.I won't give this result another thought.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:52 pm

The majority were fine and will provide good competition to the starting 11. The one area where we are short and tonight it was blatantly obvious is centre midfield, we were completely outplayed in there. O'keefe is a passenger, he runs around but doesn't get near anybody, when he's on the ball he offers very little intent and just decides to go sideways because he lacks the vision to see a pass. As for halford, the less said the better, he's about 4 yards off the pace, just like okeefe he can't get nowhere near his opponents and the game is just played around him.

Our midfield trio of gunnars, ralls and damour is a real engine room and teams will find it hard to put up with our intensity, adding Tomlins creativity into the mix when we need to unlock a defence and we've got really good starting options. The problem we have is if 1 of those get injured we are in a spot of bother. I knows it's been said loads and loads of times and maybe we're waiting to get a few off the wage bill first but I think Ledley would solve those problems.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:01 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:You make 10 changes,sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.As long as they win on satd.I won't give this result another thought.

Even if we win on Saturday - this does not mean we win the league or go up ;)

By staying in this cup - players get game time :o Ask NW what he wanted tonight :?: :?: :?:

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:04 pm

Its unrealistic to compare this 11 with 1st 11! Firstly they never play as a team together also take one of them and put in 1st team they will generally play better than they did tonight, only need to look at all the other teams starting 11 in this cup only a few taking it seriously. Ultimately club have bigger fish to fry and this game was neither here or there regarding result if it was NW would have played more 1st team players :old:

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:09 pm

Halford and okeefe are dreadful they shouldnt be near the 1st team ,Only Tomlin,ward and manga from the starting 11 are good enough the rest are not ,tbf Pilkington when he came on looked lively

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:11 pm

I honestly think they are all good players, but tonight there was no team, no leaders and certainly no communication. 11 good players started tonight (okeefe and halford in their weaker roles) bring into it Kads, Camp, Patterson and Healy and yes, i do think we have the strength in depth.

Make 10 changes in 3 days and dont put a leader on the pitch, then we do have problems.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:31 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:The players who came in were given the chance - sadly the result speaks for it's self .

Many have betting slips wit CITY To win the league or go UP !!! ;) ( Hope this happens )

Let's go back to the MM years when players like Tom Heaton who took his chance with others :thumbup:

Under NW we have the manager - Do we have the same commitment with the players :?: :?: :?:

and summers were always longer and sunnier.
Tom Heaton was given the cup games. was still over looked in the league.
and the team that was winning in those early rounds bared no resembelence to the team at Wembley..put simply a win in this competition meant very little to MM when picking the next team for a league game.
not just MM either it is all managers..LL made a statement prior to the wycombe game ....how it was an opportunity for players to ..stake a claim...well Gavin Gordon scored 5 and still didnt get a league start.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:31 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:
Sneggyblubird wrote:You make 10 changes,sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.As long as they win on satd.I won't give this result another thought.

Even if we win on Saturday - this does not mean we win the league or go up ;)

By staying in this cup - players get game time :o Ask NW what he wanted tonight :?: :?: :?:

Theres no doubt he wanted to win but didn't want to risk his big guns but I don't see the need for a huge inquest.How many teams do you think played their first XI tonight,worked for some not for others.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:41 pm

The League Cup provides the opportunity for fringe players to impress as well as gain much needed match fitness. You could argue that it becomes more significant the further you progress. The game had a pre season friendly feel due to the expected lack of supporters, making it slightly harder for the players. I'll reserve judgement on tonight in the hope that a passionate, loud and fuller Stadium will enhance the performances of the players deemed as our second string for forthcoming Championship encounters.

Good atmosphere in the Canton Stand with everyone joining in each other's chants, creating a feeling of togetherness! Unite the clans :occasion5:

I'm looking forward to the QPR game!

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:48 pm

Jazz Richards is certainly good enough without any doubt I also learnt tonight that Morrison and bamba are the best centre halves in the club by a country mile

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:40 am

It's pisses me off that we treat the cups with contempt. Even though the gates are small fans are still paying money to watch. What if we had won and drawn Liverpool or Man Utd at home in the next round? That would surely be a sell out even if they played a weaker side and a good chance of being on TV as well. Are we that well off as a club that we can afford to miss out on these potential chances. When the manager says he is not heart broken about getting knocked out that also is the wrong attitude to have IMO. He should tell the truth that the players he picked did not perform on the night and he is sorry for letting the fans down. Same as the comments that he didn't feel like getting out of bed for the FA cup last season.

I guess I'm a little cranky after waking up at 2:45am to listen to the game in the Philippines. Maybe I will stay in bed for the cup games next season. :lol:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:33 am

Philippine blue wrote:It's pisses me off that we treat the cups with contempt. Even though the gates are small fans are still paying money to watch. What if we had won and drawn Liverpool or Man Utd at home in the next round? That would surely be a sell out even if they played a weaker side and a good chance of being on TV as well. Are we that well off as a club that we can afford to miss out on these potential chances. When the manager says he is not heart broken about getting knocked out that also is the wrong attitude to have IMO. He should tell the truth that the players he picked did not perform on the night and he is sorry for letting the fans down. Same as the comments that he didn't feel like getting out of bed for the FA cup last season.

I guess I'm a little cranky after waking up at 2:45am to listen to the game in the Philippines. Maybe I will stay in bed for the cup games next season. :lol:

I totally agree! If a player dons the shirt of Cardiff City, any defeat should hurt. Having been at the FA Cup game against Fulham last season, I refused to go to any cup games this season as a result of pre and post match remarks made by Warnock. I missed the Portsmouth game due to my "one man strike" but dedided to go to yesterdays game after a last minute decision, thus breaking the piquet line :lol: I wouldn't want a quitter like me next to you in the battle trenches, although strangely enough I actually enjoyed the game.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:36 am

pembroke allan wrote:Its unrealistic to compare this 11 with 1st 11! Firstly they never play as a team together also take one of them and put in 1st team they will generally play better than they did tonight, only need to look at all the other teams starting 11 in this cup only a few taking it seriously. Ultimately club have bigger fish to fry and this game was neither here or there regarding result if it was NW would have played more 1st team players :old:

Great point, that's what I was thinking reading this thread !

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:25 am

who knocked us out of the fa cup the year we won the league?

how was the performance in that game??

lets not over react for gods sake

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:27 am

Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Its unrealistic to compare this 11 with 1st 11! Firstly they never play as a team together also take one of them and put in 1st team they will generally play better than they did tonight, only need to look at all the other teams starting 11 in this cup only a few taking it seriously. Ultimately club have bigger fish to fry and this game was neither here or there regarding result if it was NW would have played more 1st team players :old:

Great point, that's what I was thinking reading this thread !

Dito,I'll always believe the league is the sole aim this season.Most clubs try to fanny their way through the first couple rounds,sometimes it works,sometimes it doesn't.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:50 am

paulh_85 wrote:who knocked us out of the fa cup the year we won the league?

how was the performance in that game??

lets not over react for gods sake

Spot on.

When you make this many changes it often doesn't work.

Stick 1 or 2 of them into the first team and I bet you would see a different player. Warnock made it clear he wasn't bothered by the cup again so hard for players to get excited by it.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:19 am

It was important that the players got game time, in case one or two of them need to cover any injuries. The team was bound to be a bit disjointed, and thankfully we won't have to put out a midfield of Halford, O'Keefe and Tomlin in a Championship game.

Young Coxe played well at times, Bruno was classy as usual. Connolly progressed his fitness. Tomlin too.

A learning experience , and gives us time to concentrate on bigger things.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:35 am

I was interested to see how so many changes to the Saturday team would go last night, and, if I had paid more than a tenner, I would have felt short changed. Young Coxe had a good game I think and was unlucky not to score. O'keefe needs to go now!! What an utter waste of space he was and is at the club. He just wasn't interested in the slightest and did more running away from the ball than to it?...Halford really is a cart horse who should not play in the league side at all, unless we are desperate?Tomlin showed good touches, but I don't think he's fit?? It's obvious that NW put a few of these guys to the test last night, and they signed their own exit papers I think, O'keefe in particular??

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:39 am

for me you can't blame the team yesterday.
there was two players who caused it Halford and O'Keefe. They went hiding. Allowing their attacking players to get behind them at ease. not interested.
didn't want the ball, when they did they hoofed it.

It would have only taken taking one of them off. and we would have done ok.
Like we saw we Damour come on.

Kennedy got swapped sides, didn't make sense either as he was doing well.

Bogle done ok, held the ball up ok. but didn't get chances.
Tomlin showed glimpses of class, but no one was on the same page as him. But he wasn't getting enough of the ball due to the CM's.

All games are won and lost in CM.

For me, surprising poor from Warnock.
But bigger things to worry about, im thinking he didn't want to make changes due to risk of injury.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:45 am

castleblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:from Twitter

@JonnyBywater

What we know from tonight is that there is little depth to the squad, the back 4 were OK with the youngster Coxe having a great debut.

Tomlin, Ward, Bogle, O'Keefe, Halford and Kennedy were at best lethargic and, in my opinion, did nothing to push for a starting place for Saturday.

Our first choice 11 is good but lose just one of Zahore, Mendez-Laing, Ralls or Gunnarsonn and we will have problems.

I must have been watching a different game I thought cox was very poor and so did most sitting around me The genenetal feeling was if he is one of our better youngster god help us

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:59 am

castleblue wrote:

I can't agree with you about Cameron Coxe who IMO had a very poor game. He was skinned time and again in the second half and any crosses he put in were aimless and never found anyone in the box. Admittedly he was given little help by the wingers in front of him, but overall it was a performance of poor quality by the young right back.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:06 am

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:[/quote]
I must have been watching a different game I thought cox was very poor and so did most sitting around me The genenetal feeling was if he is one of our better youngster god help us[/quote]

I agree, as did most around me too.

He was good in the first half but like most others (Manga was better after the break) he was poor in the second. He got skinned a few times by Scannell, whom I have always rated. It was no doubt a valuable experience for the lad though.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:06 am

I initially didn't think Coxe was too bad but the warnock and co spent most of the game yelling at him and bogle to get in to certain positions. :think:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:34 am

Lets not get carried away there is a big difference between one of last nights team being able to step into the side and do a job and 10 of them coming into the side at the same time