Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Warnock blew it last night!

Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:30 am

I'm a massive fan of NW and believe he's doing a fantastic job. However, last night's defeat against Burton was down to very poor decision-making by him and his staff.
V. Pompey he changed things at half-time and changed the game, whereas the only change made was putting Bogle wide left(where he was lost) and Ward down the middle, where he was ineffective.
It was obvious we were getting over-run in midfield and that Halford, yet again, proved he isn't a midfielder.
When we were a goal down he had a word with Mendez and Damour, yet didn't bring them on till it was far too late.
His manner and body-language suggested he didn't care, but the fans who actually bothered to turn up did care a lot.
We desperately wanted a good run in this Cup.
I hope he's self-critical enough to realise this.

You can blame the players, but team selection, tactics and, especially, the timing of subs were crucial.

Re: Warnock blew it last night!

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:01 am

That's why tickets were £8-10 instead of £25! :D I really couldn't care less about the cup (ESP now we are out of it) NW hasn't really put a foot wrong yet this season and in all honesty, less interest in the cup is fine with me! A lot of people mention about how we lack cover in certain areas - well isn't it better to have less games to play then?

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:20 am

bluemun wrote:I'm a massive fan of NW and believe he's doing a fantastic job. However, last night's defeat against Burton was down to very poor decision-making by him and his staff.
V. Pompey he changed things at half-time and changed the game, whereas the only change made was putting Bogle wide left(where he was lost) and Ward down the middle, where he was ineffective.
It was obvious we were getting over-run in midfield and that Halford, yet again, proved he isn't a midfielder.
When we were a goal down he had a word with Mendez and Damour, yet didn't bring them on till it was far too late.
His manner and body-language suggested he didn't care, but the fans who actually bothered to turn up did care a lot.
We desperately wanted a good run in this Cup.
I hope he's self-critical enough to realise this.

You can blame the players, but team selection, tactics and, especially, the timing of subs were crucial.

Put it this way mate.If one of our front line players had been injured last night then I would have said your thread title would be correct and me and 90% of the fans would be feckin fuming today.This he knows well so I'd say given the clubs true priorities he got it just about right.

I was half listening to Talk shite this morning and it was mentioned that all the clubs taking part last night made over 400 changes to their previous line ups.Says alot about how serious clubs are taking this.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:30 am

Once a blue always a blue44 wrote:That's why tickets were £8-10 instead of £25! :D I really couldn't care less about the cup (ESP now we are out of it) NW hasn't really put a foot wrong yet this season and in all honesty, less interest in the cup is fine with me! A lot of people mention about how we lack cover in certain areas - well isn't it better to have less games to play then?

Agree with you. I think many fans are like us and could'nt care less about this cup. The reason I did'nt bother wasting my time or money going down last night was because I am not interested in paying to watch two reserve teams playing each other in a competition that most people lost interest in many years back. The performance and result was predictable, and I don't see why anyone is shocked by what happened. We've done well to put together a first team given the money at the club, and we can hardly expect to have a second string full of quality when we all know how stretched the club's finances are.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:37 am

I did not care about the result line up or tactics! That's why I did not go! No doubt Warnock was not bothered and that got access to the team he put out! Glad we are out of the cup! The important game is Saturday

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:44 pm

Maybe they were happy to experiment and lose. I can always remember the jacks losing to Shrewsbury in the league cup and we all took the piss, 6 months later they were promoted and I'm pretty sure they couldn't careless about losing in the league cup.
I'm glad we are out of it......

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:41 pm

Disagree with this, we were 1-0 down when warnock decided to put Mendez Laing & damour on but while they were waiting to come on they scored the 2nd & then what's the point in risking them? Warnock then only decided to put both of them on when we scored and there was a chance we could take it to extra time, personally think it wasn't intelligent managing from warnock, why tire our most important players out by bringing them on at half time when we got a far more important game Saturday which everyone needs to be fully fit for

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Maybe that's why this Cup isn't taken seriously.....too many fans not bothered.
It's been said before, but a glam tie v. a Premiership side and all of a sudden the Cup is meaningful.