Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" A blessing in Disguise "

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:07 am

I am for wining every game, But

Perhaps the Burton result may prove to be a blessing in disguise in as much as our players now know that we need to work and fight and earn our wins. Simply turning out does not win games. A good wake up call against complacency.

Re: " A blessing in Disguise "

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:23 am

Forever Blue wrote:I am for wining every game, But

Perhaps the Burton result may prove to be a blessing in disguise in as much as our players now know that we need to work and fight and earn our wins. Simply turning out does not win games. A good wake up call against complacency.

On reflection I agree but I think it's more than that even. It's early days and Warnock is trying to make a squad gel with a number of new faces. It will take time before they reach their peak potential. In the meantime he knows he can't just rely upon his first eleven throughout a long and arduous season and he will need quality back up. With the League Cup games coming so early in the season this was an opportunity for him to guage just how realistic his strength in depth really is and that is vitally important to know so that he still has time to make adjustments.

I think he probably already knew it but he will now be certain he does need to bring a couple more in, certainly in midfield but that he had one or two for the future, Coxe in particular. He knows Ward and Halford well so he will probably be relaxed about them and he will have seen there's still a lot of work to be done on Bogle. However, with the League his priority he will now know he needs to get quality back up in and he probably already had the plan to do so late into deadline day. The mention of a midfielder on loan might be a ploy in Ledley's direction to put some pressure on but in any case I think he will have one or two targets on his radar.

I'm as disappointed as anyone particularly that we've lost our 100% record which I was hoping we'd hold onto for a bit longer. Nevertheless if last night's match proved the catalyst for a couple more to strengthen our squad it will soothe the discomfort somewhat :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:42 am

Whether it was a blessing in disguise or not,the simple conclusion about last night's dreadful performance is that the current squad does not have enough quality in depth,lets be all honest about this Warnock has bought on the cheap,and we will not get promotion untill we bring in more quality,with one or two exceptions the players Warnock has brought to the club are simply not good enough

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:00 am

I would say Laing, Damour,Eitheredge and Hoilette have proven to be very good signings. Tomlin and Paterson have the pedigree. Ward has been disappointing so far but is capable. It's too early to make an opinion on Bogle. Halford is the one questionable signing but has his uses as a sub so don't think you can question Warnocks transfer activity especially on a budget although admittedly another central midfielder is required and the forward options are a worry right now

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:08 am

Disagree. If we got a Premiership club in the next round it would be a great test for the first team.
If we didn't it provides invaluable competitive game-time for squad players .
A good Cup run would benefit the club and, ultimately, might excite sceptical fans (I'm not one).
The truth is that Warnock was out-witted by Clough, who got everything right last night, by combining first team regulars with youngsters.
Warnock underestimated Burton, who outplayed Brum in the second half last Friday and deserved victory.
NW is a great manager, but still makes big mistakes.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:35 am

angelis1949 wrote:

Whether it was a blessing in disguise or not,the simple conclusion about last night's dreadful performance is that the current squad does not have enough quality in depth,lets be all honest about this Warnock has bought on the cheap,and we will not get promotion untill we bring in more quality,with one or two exceptions the players Warnock has brought to the club are simply not good enough

Which squads in the championship do have enough quality in depth to go on a cup run and win the league? I can't think of any. Was that Burtons best 11 out last night or a 2nd string like ours?

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:42 am

bluemun wrote:Disagree. If we got a Premiership club in the next round it would be a great test for the first team.
A good Cup run would benefit the club and, ultimately, might excite sceptical fans (I'm not one).
The truth is that Warnock was out-witted by Clough, who got everything right last night, by combining first team regulars with youngsters.
Warnock underestimated Burton, who outplayed Brum in the second half last Friday and deserved victory.

Completely agree with your comments,unlike some on here i think Warnock makes a lot of errors of judgement

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:50 am

angelis1949 wrote:
bluemun wrote:Disagree. If we got a Premiership club in the next round it would be a great test for the first team.

Completely agree with your comments,unlike some on here i think Warnock makes a lot of errors of judgement

I've heard of glasses half full and glasses half empty but I think yours has completely smashed.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:52 am

Exactly what I said to you yesterday Annis.

And the good thing is you just now NW will let them know about it!!

Hope for a reaction on Saturday.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:55 am

The loss was not with the first 11 therefore imo the game was irrelevant and the result.

Let's focus when we lose with the first 11 which may be soon or later!

The important thing last night was that several players had game time which a few needed.

If we do get another player in before the window then there are several more signings to come in ie Patterson Camp, Harris etc

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:56 am

QPR will give us a big enough test on Saturday, forget about premier league second teams.

No one cares about this until the 6th round.

We were out of this cup before the league season started in out promotion season and knocked out the FA cup in the 3rd round by Macclesfield...

If we are having a serious pop at promotion this was the correct result

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:58 am

angelis1949 wrote:..... the current squad does not have enough quality in depth,lets be all honest about this Warnock has bought on the cheap,and we will not get promotion untill we bring in more quality,with one or two exceptions the players Warnock has brought to the club are simply not good enough

I am constantly amazed when people EXPECT quality in depth from a Championship team.

You are NOT going to get two great players for each position. How do you 'sell' the club to a quality player when you say they may be backup.

Even Man City are setting their sights on backup players of the quality of Johnny Evans because they cannot attract or want to pay 45million for someone to sit on the bench.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:58 am

City Slicker wrote:
angelis1949 wrote:

I've heard of glasses half full and glasses half empty but I think yours has completely smashed.

You are completely delusional if you think we have enough quality in depth

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:06 am

angelis1949 wrote:
City Slicker wrote:
angelis1949 wrote:

You are completely delusional if you think we have enough quality in depth

Not yet we don't but there's still time

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:07 am

People on here saying that its disappointing that we're out of this cup because we could've tested ourselves at a premier league club in the next round is ridiculous. Lets focus on the league and our main goal in which to get promoted and then we can play them every week instead :bluebird:

I hate seeing City lose as well but like the topic states it is a blessing in disguise, less injuries, less fatigue and more focus on the promised land without these distractions.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:17 am

City Slicker wrote:

On reflection I agree but I think it's more than that even. It's early days and Warnock is trying to make a squad gel with a number of new faces. It will take time before they reach their peak potential. In the meantime he knows he can't just rely upon his first eleven throughout a long and arduous season and he will need quality back up. With the League Cup games coming so early in the season this was an opportunity for him to guage just how realistic his strength in depth really is and that is vitally important to know so that he still has time to make adjustments.

I think he probably already knew it but he will now be certain he does need to bring a couple more in, certainly in midfield but that he had one or two for the future, Coxe in particular. He knows Ward and Halford well so he will probably be relaxed about them and he will have seen there's still a lot of work to be done on Bogle. However, with the League his priority he will now know he needs to get quality back up in and he probably already had the plan to do so late into deadline day. The mention of a midfielder on loan might be a ploy in Ledley's direction to put some pressure on but in any case I think he will have one or two targets on his radar.

I'm as disappointed as anyone particularly that we've lost our 100% record which I was hoping we'd hold onto for a bit longer. Nevertheless if last night's match proved the catalyst for a couple more to strengthen our squad it will soothe the discomfort somewhat :ayatollah:

Phil, your right in quite a few ways and what last night has done has told Warnock, that certain players are not as good as first thought and that a few more need to go and a couple more new ones in.
As in Oct/Nov/Dec, you need strength in depth to stay up there :thumbright: :thumb right:

Maybe some good will come out of last night :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:26 am

The OP may well be right and I didn't think we particularly deserved to 'lose' the game; it was more we threw it away by running into dead ends and hoofing the ball downfield to (and we know this all too well) a giant of a man in Big Ben Turner. By the time we really put the pressure on their other defenders we were already 2-0 down ;)

Exciting end though and we could/should have snatched an equaliser and gone on to win the game in Extra Time. The biggest 'losers' may well now be those 'fringe' players who won't have too many realistic opportunities to impress a manager who appears to know his core squad :ayatollah:

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:02 pm

jimmy_rat wrote:Exactly what I said to you yesterday Annis.

And the good thing is you just now NW will let them know about it!!

Hope for a reaction on Saturday.

Let's hope so :bluebird: